• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Do you have a mis-spaced number plate etc?

Friend of mine had a plate with the space moved by one position (from "K90 xxx" to "K9 0xxx") on his Shogun. Fully legal font and no tinkering with bolt heads etc. but he got pulled over and was warned he'd lose the reg if reported again. This was in a small town in West Sussex. Not worth the hassle IMHO, but you certainly do see a lot of them around.

That's where I live.....they are hot on dodgy plates here.... and at the end of the day we know its not allowed.... so if you get a tug or two and lose your plate....well it's deserved IMO.

How do you manage to get in touch with the police to report it? All our police stations seem to have closed.

I’ve got no issues with being stopped. I’ve got nothing to hide.
Good stuff buddy . I only mention it as an x police officer .
If the plate is misrepresented though then the car may be sent for an MOT retest so the plate is rectified?

It’s probably an unpopular opinion, but it’s the law to have your number plates to the correct specifications. People who feel the need to break the law in this area often see it as not being a crime. So where do we go next? I’m sorry, but I regard people who insist on committing this crime as criminals. That’s the way I feel.

It’s probably an unpopular opinion, but it’s the law to have your number plates to the correct specifications. People who feel the need to break the law in this area often see it as not being a crime. So where do we go next? I’m sorry, but I regard people who insist on committing this crime as criminals. That’s the way I feel.
Fair enough. Your forum name says it all, though. But it's all about opinions. 🙂👍

The problem is when it comes to the degree of 'non-standard' spacing. I once saw a car with a square rear plate, and the number K16OLD spaced and screwed so that the top line was K1, and the second line GOLD. Clearly wrong, misleading, and illegal - but how do you write a law which says how much it's OK to deviate from the requirement without extracting the michael?

Harsh but fair...........

I do have some personalised plates but they’re all spaced exactly as they should be.

In 2000 I was pulled over by a Police car that had followed me driving briskly along some fast B roads in light snowfall but perfectly legally. I only realised it was a Police car when we entered a village and the orange glow of the street lights illuminated the car behind.

When the Police approached the driver’s window I noticed that he had an automatic machine gun which was unusual 😳😬 he proceeded to compliment me on my driving and asked that I sat tight whilst they performed some checks, which they did from their car.

After while they couldn’t find any records for the car and I advised them that I had only recently bought the car. Of course back then DVLA processes were slow as it was all done by post, but even so they and I expected it to have been registered by then.

They came back again and explained that they couldn’t find any records for the car. It turns out that they had assumed that the digits on the plate had been doctored to spell something. When I explained that it was exactly what it looked like the checks flew through fine!

I had a good chat with them and it turned out that they patrolled the area around Manchester Airport and they had followed me cross country from a hotel near the airport all the way to Holmes Chapel before pulling me (because they couldn’t verify the details).

I was actually travelling home from a company Christmas party, and all of my colleagues passed in a coach as I was stood at the side of the road talking to the Police with guns. It took a while for them to forget that one!
Once all was sorted they showed me the guns in the boot and had a good chat about fast driving!

What car do you drive?

Had one on my Saab , hardly the crime of the century but the local police seemed to think i got fed up with being pulled over and when i sold the car i just left the mis-placed plate still on it.

K

I have one extra space on my plate RC09CLK and the local plod don't seem bothered by it. Plus it has been through lots of towns and cities up and down the country with no pulls.
To both of you guys - did you put on the lawful plate to get past the MOT?

Sorry no intention to hi-jack the thread but there’s a c-class or similar round here with the number plate permanently fixed top left (near side) of the windscreen. Orange chameleon windscreen too. Apart from looking rubbish Is that legal?

Your forum name is a credit to you and we need people like you.

I'm with you all day long,

Rightly or wrongly, I'm of the opinion that a misspelt (ie to look like something else), or mispaced is often possibly ignoring other highway rules.

IMO, those driving with extra tints on the front windows are often of a gangsta stance kind of people and I can't understand why cops don't pull them over and seize the car.

Meet Suzanne Adams:

1959missspace04.jpg

To both of you guys - did you put on the lawful plate to get past the MOT?

I got the car in 2005/6 , no issues with the MOT initially but latterly i fitted "legal" ones for the test when the tester said to do so.

K

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom