• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

dont drive your tesla in the rain

Clearly a manufacturing/design problem if rain is getting into areas of the car that result in failure to operate. Tesla should be picking the bill up on this one. I would be taking legal advice in this instance if I were the owner of the car in question.

Clearly a manufacturing/design problem if rain is getting into areas of the car that result in failure to operate. Tesla should be picking the bill up on this one. I would be taking legal advice in this instance if I were the owner of the car in question.
Dito

Surely Tesla will relent and cover the repair, otherwise a publicity disaster is guaranteed. 🤔

Suspect we don’t have the full story here. If they’ve just driven through wet weather then the car would be fine - they are designed to cope and if there was a fundamental design flaw then there would be stranded Teslas all over the place. So - it could be a manufacturing fault on that particular car, in which case it should be covered by the warranty. Or the owner has driven through something a bit more substantial than a “few puddles” and is therefore being held liable by Tesla - bit like all those new engines required after driving through Rufford Ford - no one would expect the manufacturers to cover that. Without knowing exactly what Tesla are saying and why, we can’t really judge. The owner might, dependent on circumstances, be able to make an insurance claim?

Surely Tesla will relent and cover the repair, otherwise a publicity disaster is guaranteed. 🤔
Apparently it’s not the first. I read that a Tesla owner in Finland in 2021 was quoted $23,000 to replace the batteries in his 2013 car. The report said he blew the car up in response.

And Tesla sales haven’t suffered too badly since then? (Ok, this one might just have been worn out batteries, but still expensive!)

Yes, this was writing-off AMGs in the US a few years back, poor design where water intake caused piston lock-up and a new engine needed, not covered by warranty, obviously.

Last edited:
Suspect we don’t have the full story here. If they’ve just driven through wet weather then the car would be fine - they are designed to cope and if there was a fundamental design flaw then there would be stranded Teslas all over the place. So - it could be a manufacturing fault on that particular car, in which case it should be covered by the warranty. Or the owner has driven through something a bit more substantial than a “few puddles” and is therefore being held liable by Tesla - bit like all those new engines required after driving through Rufford Ford - no one would expect the manufacturers to cover that. Without knowing exactly what Tesla are saying and why, we can’t really judge. The owner might, dependent on circumstances, be able to make an insurance claim?

Agreed. Lots of red flags in the story.

"...it was wet with the weather last week, but I honestly can't remember any huge puddles or anything like that... They said that the battery is effectively submerged in water. How can that be our fault?" Hmmmm.... 🤔

Pretty sure this chap drove it through a massive flood. 🤦‍♂️ Has been on the Tesla Owners chat a while ago.

These threads are getting boring.

Last edited:
Agreed. Lots of red flags in the story.

"...it was wet with the weather last week, but I honestly can't remember any huge puddles or anything like that... They said that the battery is effectively submerged in water. How can that be our fault?" Hmmmm.... 🤔
There was an amber weather warning in place for exceptionally heavy rain with lots of flooded roads.

It's perhaps fortunate that many EV vehicles are SUV derived with greater ground clearance!!! ;)My guess would be since the owner did not suffer immediate failure according to his report, that the ingress of water caused some massive electrical shorts which in a very short space of time sitting immobile would have completely flattened the battery leaving it completely without charge----this is a situation that must be avoided at all costs due to irreversible changes in the battery cell chemistry- hence writing it off?? :dk:

You would surely expect a battery pack mounted below floor level to be watertight. There's a good reason why the air intake on an ICE is way higher than that.

Pretty sure I remember a Porsche/Audi recall to sort out an issue with the battery pack sealing on some of their EVs, where water ingress could cause a 'thermal event' (fire).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom