• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Dreaded brake judder

Funkyboy

Car
E class
Hi All,

I've got the dreaded brake judder on my 14 plate E class. Symptoms are heavy vibration when braking from speed. I can feel the vibration in brake pedal and floor of car but nothing through steering wheel. Don't know if that's anything to do with electric steering that stops the sensation in steering wheel. Front brake and discs changed in February rears changed around 10 mths ago. Because no symptoms through steering I assumed the rears. Changed them yesterday made no difference. I'll strip down the front and possibly change them as a last resort. Reading on here though some people have had a hell of a time chasing this vibration down. Appreciate any tips
Thanks

Try it cold , if ok , assume it's heat and warping discs ?

It is the dreaded problem,check run out on the hubs ,make sure the surface is clean,put the brake rotor on and check for run out,if all ok,then it could be a flexable hose restriction,could be the calipher sticking and so one brake pad not making contact,cheapest way to sort this is trade the car in
:rolleyes:

It is the dreaded problem,check run out on the hubs ,make sure the surface is clean,put the brake rotor on and check for run out,if all ok,then it could be a flexable hose restriction,could be the calipher sticking and so one brake pad not making contact,cheapest way to sort this is trade the car in
:rolleyes:
Joking aside I am thinking that's what I may do. I may go with one more set of discs if I can't see anything obvious. May buy a run out gauge though probably will never use it again. I'm not going to start throwing loads of money at it like others have tried 😕

Joking aside I am thinking that's what I may do. I may go with one more set of discs if I can't see anything obvious. May buy a run out gauge though probably will never use it again. I'm not going to start throwing loads of money at it like others have tried 😕
Either that or let a garage sort it , that way it'll be done reet , and you'll have a comeback if it ain't . 👍👍

Sticking rear brake caliper ?

What's the best way to test that please? Wouldn't it normally stick on
Take 60 minutes out of your day , pop the wheel off , take both slider pins out ,clean them up ,pack with white lithium grease, rubber friendly . Removed pads , pump brake pedal a few times to get the piston to pop out , not right out obviously 😂. Check the piston ends for signs of rust or pits , clean it up and push it back in . Repeat on the other side.

A sticking brake will normally stink and boil your spit if you spit on the disc. Like the hawk Thua girl. Spit on that thing 🤣🤣

Take 60 minutes out of your day , pop the wheel off , take both slider pins out ,clean them up ,pack with white lithium grease, rubber friendly . Removed pads , pump brake pedal a few times to get the piston to pop out , not right out obviously 😂. Check the piston ends for signs of rust or pits , clean it up and push it back in . Repeat on the other side.

A sticking brake will normally stink and boil your spit if you spit on the disc. Like the hawk Thua girl. Spit on that thing 🤣🤣
I was always frightened to pump the brakes with the pads incase the caliper shot right out

I was always frightened to pump the brakes with the pads incase the caliper shot right out
It won't , just have someone press the brake gently and watch the piston out. They're a good inch and 3/4 long tbh. You only need it out 20mm or so.

It won't , just have someone press the brake gently and watch the piston out. They're a good inch and 3/4 long tbh. You only need it out 20mm or so.
Will it stop coming out when they release the brake pedal?

Will it stop coming out when they release the brake pedal?
Of course, only the downstroke creates pressure to push the piston out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom