E Class 220 Convertible 2018 Rear Light Issue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scottym67

Car
E Class 220 Convertable
The left side inner rear light cluster has failed and I no longer have the tail light and reversing light working on this side. I know that I cannot replace lightbulbs but before I spend about £250 buying a new cluster from MB, I was wondering if anyone has had this before and if there could be any other failure that has caused the light cluster to fail?

Also can anyone suggest an alternative supplier for the new unit? I have tried Euro Car Parts and AutoDoc but both are out of stock.

Thanks in advance,

Scott

The left side inner rear light cluster has failed and I no longer have the tail light and reversing light working on this side. I know that I cannot replace lightbulbs but before I spend about £250 buying a new cluster from MB, I was wondering if anyone has had this before and if there could be any other failure that has caused the light cluster to fail?

Also can anyone suggest an alternative supplier for the new unit? I have tried Euro Car Parts and AutoDoc but both are out of stock.

Thanks in advance,

Scott

Hi Scott,

Did you manage to get this sorted? I have the same issue with my c220d.

Yes, I found two broken wires in the wiring loom to the light cluster. I had to remove a lot of trim in the boot area to access the wiring loom. I decided to cut the broken wires and solder in new wires. It took about 1.5 hours to complete the work.

Good work! I've definitely got a similar issue as I've checked the cluster itself and it works fine.

Is there a guide you used that I can follow or did you DIY? Did you also have to replace the plug to the cluster?

Cheers

J

I just DIY'd it. My problem was on the passenger side inner cluster. I removed the trim on the inside of the boot door to get access to the light cluster and disconnected the wiring. I then removed the trim in the boot in the boot itself on the left hand side. Behind this trim there was a plug. I disconnected this and pulled the wiring loom to the lights through and out of the car. I was then able to strip the insulation of the wiring loom and that is when I found the broken wires. Rather than just rejoining the wires, I replaced about 6 inches making two solder joints on each wire and covered the joints with shrink wrap. Once the joints were made, I replaced the insulation around all the wires and pulled the loom back into the car, connected up either end and replaced the trim. I think the wires have fatigued over time as them are bending every time the boot is opened and closed. I never replaced the plugs, just repaired the wires.

I just DIY'd it. My problem was on the passenger side inner cluster. I removed the trim on the inside of the boot door to get access to the light cluster and disconnected the wiring. I then removed the trim in the boot in the boot itself on the left hand side. Behind this trim there was a plug. I disconnected this and pulled the wiring loom to the lights through and out of the car. I was then able to strip the insulation of the wiring loom and that is when I found the broken wires. Rather than just rejoining the wires, I replaced about 6 inches making two solder joints on each wire and covered the joints with shrink wrap. Once the joints were made, I replaced the insulation around all the wires and pulled the loom back into the car, connected up either end and replaced the trim. I think the wires have fatigued over time as them are bending every time the boot is opened and closed. I never replaced the plugs, just repaired the wires.

Thanks mate. Just managed to fix it - turns out it was the brown earth wire on mine, so I just snipped the wire and ran a new earth and it seems to be back up and running.

Cheers

J

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom