E Class w213 Engine Management Light

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

McBenz

Car
W213 E220d AMG
And yet another problem with my W213.

I was driving back from Cardiff this morning on the M4 when I noticed a amber engine warning light on my dash.
In a panic, I pulled into the nearest services to call Mercedes Coventry to get my car booked in. I was told by the booking line agent that an amber warning light is ok to drive providing I had no loss of power.
The car is driving as normal but this Engine Warning Light is worrying me and my car is not booked in until Thursday.
Any suggestions to what may be the problem?
I’m seriously disappointed with this car, I’ve had the car since May 2019 and this is the fourth time she’s been into a main dealer (the last time was my fault) never had a real issues with my previous three five series BMWs!

Attachments

• 965F93E7-1825-4803-9361-16D9CF94CF16.jpeg
    965F93E7-1825-4803-9361-16D9CF94CF16.jpeg
    70.7 KB · Views: 17
You need to pull the error codes using a diagnostic scanner to get an idea of what is going on. Is the car under warranty or do you have full MBSH? If so, you can call mobilo and they will come out to you....

EML came on my 2015 E400 twice within 6 months of each other.

Fixed under warranty. Drove until fixed as advised no problems.

2 different sensors replaced.

Regards
David

You need to pull the error codes using a diagnostic scanner to get an idea of what is going on. Is the car under warranty or do you have full MBSH? If so, you can call mobilo and they will come out to you....
Luckily, I have a RAC Warranty. She’s fours years old so out of MB Warranty and was bought from Listers.

Regards
David
Thank you. Hopefully it’s just a sensor issue!

Luckily, I have a RAC Warranty. She’s fours years old so out of MB Warranty and was bought from Listers.

As long as the car has got full MBSH, you will be covered by Mobilo and they will come out and try and fix the issue at roadside. If any parts are needed, they will charge you for them. I had the battery go faulty on a 2012 E class and they came out, diagnosed the car and replaced the battery. I just paid them for the cost of the battery, no labor charges.

Regards
David
David, the two sensors that were replaced on your car were they NOX sensors by any chance?
I’ve just been reading a lot of threads about these sensors going on the E Class. Apparently it’s a coming fault and MB are aware of it.

David, the two sensors that were replaced on your car were they NOX sensors by any chance?
I’ve just been reading a lot of threads about these sensors going on the E Class. Apparently it’s a coming fault and MB are aware of it.
The NoX sensors are a problem with MB diesels - and its a well documented fault.
I had them replaced on my E350 FOC, even though the warranty had just run out.
It was good will as I had a full MB service history, the service advisor told me they had replaced thousands of them, and for free if the car had a full history with them.

I have a feeling it may be a sensor. To be fair to MB Coventry they have really looked after me since I’ve had the car even though I bought it from Listers. The car has full MB history and has always been serviced and looked after by Coventry so maybe that’s why!
Thanks for your reply

Reactions: CJD

As far as I can remember I was told they were NOX sensors. But, I have a feeling I have seen that petrol engines don't have NOX sensors. Any clarification would be welcome.

Again I was told on the E400 there are 3 sensors. Two been replaced now under warranty. 3 months apart approx.

I was informed that the cost to replace and fit is about £1100.

I assumed that the new sensors would have a healthy warranty period, but, told no, only when whole car is in warranty.

My 1 year warranty ran out in January 2020 so for peace of mind took out a MB 2 year warranty.

Thinking I will be covered for the 3rd sensor or most other problems.

Regards
David

Thanks David.
I’ve got platinum RAC warranty so I should be covered. When this warranty runs out I’ll be getting a MB warranty for sure!
I’ll update once the car has been into MB on Thursday!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom