E class W213 widescreen retrofit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Wow that looks even better then mine.

I think it is more to do with the configuration you select? There were other configuration options, I just didn't like them as much:

18.jpg

Anyway, it wasn't my car.... :(

I think it is more to do with the configuration you select? There were other configuration options, I just didn't like them as much:

18.jpg

Anyway, it wasn't my car.... :(
yes you are right, in mine it comes with 3 configurations.

View attachment 109914At night it really comes alive, one can appreciate it much more.
I just love the ambient lighting, it’s what mb got spot on when they released these w213s, really set the trend for other marques and retrofitters!

Can’t pm as don’t have 30 post. So it was 2k for used, or 4K for new. Definitely looks much better, I was given 2020 screen, so those won’t have issues, which I referred to, the earlier ones did have issue, many reports on the German and US forums, read a post yesterday on here, someone had the same issue, his was MY2016 I think.
Wow 2k is sky high! It would be better for me just to add 2k to my budget and get a used w213 that comes with the twin widescreens.. luckily at the moment in the uk prices between the differing specs are not too far apart..

Wow 2k is sky high! It would be better for me just to add 2k to my budget and get a used w213 that comes with the twin widescreens.. luckily at the moment in the uk prices between the differing specs are not too far apart..
Yes that would be the ideal option, unfortunately when I was looking the 2016 and 2017 models hardly came with digital screens, if they did they were high mileage, but now the 2018 onward
models there are many with. So always better to get the spec car, rather then going down retrofit route, if you can.

Lol I don't think it will cost that much as you can pick up used 12" wide-screens for reasonable price however its about finding someone who can code them in seemelessly..
You cant just fit a used one and code it.

You cant just fit a used one and code it.
I thought it was near enough plug and play? I have seen some YouTube content where that was almost the case.. BUT I now wouldn't be going down the retrofit route anyway..

Have any owners done the widescreen retrofit as I see most of these models don’t have the 2x 12” screens? Or anyone know of any companies that can successfully do the retrofit? I really think the W213s with analogue screens and just 1 widescreen really look poverty spec..
We've done loads. (Comand / Comand Online in Lightwater). Theres' a few big gotchas. The clusters are locked to the vehicle and special (expensive) software tools needed to virginise a used cluster. New cluster is eye-watering (we've done some of those too) Theres a fan system that *must* be retrofitted (otherwise Mercedes would not have wasted money on installing it). But the biggest financial problem is that if you have the earlier Audio-20 (code 522) that doesn't support the large screen so you have to upgrade to COMAND and COMAND needs a different DAB antenna system and lots of wiring etc. But at least COMAND gives you CarPlay. Also, cluster needs to be the right model for the car - you can't put a 2017 cluster and code it properly in a 2019 car for instance. And finally, if the cluster needs a firmware update on install, that takes 20 hours !!!

Its a beautiful addition - with the extra ambient lighting around the cluster really making the interior stand out. Once of my favourite jobs to do because the result changes the look and feel of the car.

Hope that helps,
Richard

We've done loads. (Comand / Comand Online in Lightwater). Theres' a few big gotchas. The clusters are locked to the vehicle and special (expensive) software tools needed to virginise a used cluster. New cluster is eye-watering (we've done some of those too) Theres a fan system that *must* be retrofitted (otherwise Mercedes would not have wasted money on installing it). But the biggest financial problem is that if you have the earlier Audio-20 (code 522) that doesn't support the large screen so you have to upgrade to COMAND and COMAND needs a different DAB antenna system and lots of wiring etc. But at least COMAND gives you CarPlay. Also, cluster needs to be the right model for the car - you can't put a 2017 cluster and code it properly in a 2019 car for instance. And finally, if the cluster needs a firmware update on install, that takes 20 hours !!!

Its a beautiful addition - with the extra ambient lighting around the cluster really making the interior stand out. Once of my favourite jobs to do because the result changes the look and feel of the car.

Hope that helps,
Richard
Yes thanks for info, going forward if I were to purchase the w213, i would only be looking for models with the command twin widescreens..

Hi all,

i am looking to purchase a e class 2017 w213 i believe, it does not have the virtual cockpit and have been reading this post, do you have any new advise on this situation ? ive found the car i want but it does not have the display i want so it is putting me off

thanks

Welcome.

What are you asking? As you can see, retrofits are possible but very expensive.

You should check-out a car with and a car without the dual wide-screen dashboard, and then decide for yourself how you would like to proceed... the retrofits route will probably prove unaffordable on a 5 years old car.

Sorry if I can't be of more help.

For 2017 you need to purchase one with COMAND (ie the bigger navigation display) if you are going to retrofit the digital cockpit as the pre facelift audio 20 can not drive the bigger display that is part of digital cockpit. We retrofit loads of both, but still advise people to buy the car with what you want if you can possibly get it.

R

For 2017 you need to purchase one with COMAND (ie the bigger navigation display) if you are going to retrofit the digital cockpit as the pre facelift audio 20 can not drive the bigger display that is part of digital cockpit. We retrofit loads of both, but still advise people to buy the car with what you want if you can possibly get it.

R
Msg me the reg or vin and I’ll look up what it’s got if you are not sure.

R
Any common problems with these screens? A few have mentioned about some screens having to be replaced?

Yes

a) The early ones get ghosting (white shadow) where the glue that holds LCD to glass has an issue, MB were changing them in cars under warranty but none of those are under warranty for the last couple of yeas
b) As yours is 2017 any will work, but newer cars need newer units
c) You can't just use a used one, they need to be virginised, and in fact they really need more than that if you want all the mileage etc to come across and no errors when Mercedes look at it, so even buying a so-called virginised one is not perfect
d) LHD and RHD ones are different. AMG ones are different too.
e) Before about 2020 they need(well, should have) a little (or large sometimes) software update

Cheers
RIchard

Yes

a) The early ones get ghosting (white shadow) where the glue that holds LCD to glass has an issue, MB were changing them in cars under warranty but none of those are under warranty for the last couple of yeas
b) As yours is 2017 any will work, but newer cars need newer units
c) You can't just use a used one, they need to be virginised, and in fact they really need more than that if you want all the mileage etc to come across and no errors when Mercedes look at it, so even buying a so-called virginised one is not perfect
d) LHD and RHD ones are different. AMG ones are different too.
e) Before about 2020 they need(well, should have) a little (or large sometimes) software update

Cheers
RIchard
Hi Richard,

I am reviving this thread as I could use your help. I have a 2017 E400 estate (LHD) with a COMAND APS NTG5/NTG5.5 with an analogue speedo. I also have a code 877 (abmiance illumination).I would like to upgrade it to a widescreen. The physical retrofit seems quite straightforward. Is everything plug and play? what about the ambient lighting around the screen as the analogue one is without the lighting but the widescreen seems to have it (is it integrated into the screen)?

Could you help me in finding the correct part number for the screen that would fit my car? Do I need to buy any additional parts for the retrofit?

After the install, I assume it has to be coded… are there any specific things that need to be addressed in order for the widescreen to function as it is supposed to?

I also assume that the coding must be done in a garage and that it cannot be done “remotely”/“ota”?

thanks in advance

Hi Richard,

I am reviving this thread as I could use your help. I have a 2017 E400 estate (LHD) with a COMAND APS NTG5/NTG5.5 with an analogue speedo. I also have a code 877 (abmiance illumination).I would like to upgrade it to a widescreen. The physical retrofit seems quite straightforward. Is everything plug and play? what about the ambient lighting around the screen as the analogue one is without the lighting but the widescreen seems to have it (is it integrated into the screen)?

Could you help me in finding the correct part number for the screen that would fit my car? Do I need to buy any additional parts for the retrofit?

After the install, I assume it has to be coded… are there any specific things that need to be addressed in order for the widescreen to function as it is supposed to?

I also assume that the coding must be done in a garage and that it cannot be done “remotely”/“ota”?

thanks in advance
Go back and look at the previous comments on this thread. Most of your questions are answered there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom