E55 spark plugs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've run Bosch in my Last 2, e55's never had a issue, Some on here also run NGK with good results.

I bought the plugs for my S211, E55k from the parts counter in my local MB as per vin no.
They where NGK ILFR6A and a good price too.

See what discount ECP or CP4Less are offering today.

Changing 16 plugs is not something you will do regularly so just buy a reputable brand such as Bosch or NGK.
Ensure that they are the correct grade though.

I bought the plugs for my S211, E55k from the parts counter in my local MB as per vin no.
They where NGK ILFR6A and a good price too.
Those are the same plugs I put in on my previous E55.

Hi guys, does anyone know where to get a decent priced set of one step colder plugs for the w211 E55?

As far as I remember there was a huge back order on the NGK one step colder plugs?

Thanks In advance

What improves if I install one step colder plugs versus recommended plugs for the car?
I get better what???

Spark plug charts tells you what product number plug is recommended for each model.
Charts do they also list colder plugs suitable for specific cars?

What improves if I install one step colder plugs versus recommended plugs for the car?
I get better what???

Spark plug charts tells you what product number plug is recommended for each model.
Charts do they also list colder plugs suitable for specific cars?
Advancing the ignition timing can help an engine to produce more power but can lead to knock or preignition, which is not good for the health or life or the engine.

There are a number of factors which can cause knock or preignition, and one of them is when a spark plug is operating at a higher temperature than intended.

A spark plug with a cooler operating range enables the timing to be advanced further before knock or preignition occurs, but going too cold causes problems too!

The M113K engine has a knock sensor, and so the cooler spark plug will allow the ECU to advance the timing further (for more power) before the onset of preignition.

Perhaps colder plugs are more suitable for turbo and supercharged engines not for NA engines?
I suppose there's no advantage for NA engines using one step colder plugs?

Perhaps colder plugs are more suitable for turbo and supercharged engines not for NA engines?
I suppose there's no advantage for NA engines using one step colder plugs?
I’m not sure to be honest. I bought the car with it all upgraded and tuned and the previous owner stated that I can’t just put the factory spec plugs in due to the upgrades and power it’s running currently. My W211 E55K is running 600bhp with 700ftlb. Sounds like the original spec plugs will run too hot causing issues.

I’m not sure to be honest. I bought the car with it all upgraded and tuned and the previous owner stated that I can’t just put the factory spec plugs in due to the upgrades and power it’s running currently. My W211 E55K is running 600bhp with 700ftlb. Sounds like the original spec plugs will run too hot causing issues.
what's mods is it running?

fyi ; - on my e55 even with pulley map, headers etc standard plugs were fine, you can run one step colder plugs, but never had to, even with my e63 running 900+brake standard plugs were fine.

what's mods is it running?

fyi ; - on my e55 even with pulley map, headers etc standard plugs were fine, you can run one step colder plugs, but never had to, even with my e63 running 900+brake standard plugs were fine.
Interesting.
I’ve got pulley, map, long tube headers, throttle body, heat exchanger, split cooling, belt wrap kit.

If I can run standard plugs, I would be more than happy to. Also if I switched to standard plugs would I need to get the map redone?

Thanks

If I can run standard plugs, I would be more than happy to. Also if I switched to standard plugs would I need to get the map redone?

Thanks
Not necessary to remap for a change of plugs.
But as the car is modified, I'd change them more frequently than the servicing schedule advises (every 4yrs or 50k miles IIRC)

As above, I used to change them every 2 years, probably an overkill, but better than them seizing .

Thanks everyone for the help. It’s going to save me a lot of hassle trying to source the ones I have currently fitted to the car.

Cheers guys and have a good weekend.

Interesting.
I’ve got pulley, map, long tube headers, throttle body, heat exchanger, split cooling, belt wrap kit.

Thanks
Hi Maz
I have the same upgrades as yourself and run standard plugs, never had any issues…
👌🏻

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom