E63 S - hesitant on first run

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wil992

Car
E63 S W212 & Mini JCW F56
Hi all,

Got a new (to me) 2014 E63 S, to replace the one I had nicked in August.

It's all fine, although i definitely haven't noticed the extra 28 bhp yet. :)

Only small niggle is when i first start it on a morning, i always let it idle until the fast idle has completed, so it's warmed up a little before i pull away. But every time i set off it's really hesitant on the throttle, a tiny bit too much gas and it starts kangarooing along until i lift off completely. If i do that, it's fine, and every subsequent start up that day is fine.

I had my previous E63 almost 3 yrs and that one never did this.

If i take it to the dealer they will need to have it overnight to test it, and even then they probably won't find it first go, i've had it in, just in case there's any stored fault codes or anything, but there aren't any. It's such a small thing and likely to be a long/expensive thing to track down, i don't want to keep taking it back.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced anything similar.

Thanks, and happy new year. :)

FWIW, my 2015 E63 does it too. Only from stone cold on the first start of the day, and even then not every time. The kangarooing is actually what's known in aviation circles as "Pilot Induced Oscillation" - it's caused by the acceleration causing you (or me :)) to move slightly back in the seat thus lifting off the throttle, which then causes our weight to shift forward and prod the throttle again and the cycle repeats until we lift off completely and start again.

My pre-facelift E63 Biturbo didn't do it, so I suspect its a minor cold engine mapping glitch on the later facelift cars and as such won't show as a fault even if you took it to the dealer.

Hi, thanks for the reply.
Know what you mean about the oscillating, once it starts it’s bascially impossible to hold a steady throttle so you just make it worse trying.
If yours does the same I’ll just live with it then and not worry.
Cheers. ;-)

It's not the MCT gearbox's clutch pack snatching slightly on a cold start, is it? My 2012 does this, and the solution is to put it in gear and let it move off at idle in its own time.

The answer is to plant your right foot to the floor. :D

Being in the motor trade and jumping in and out of various motors on a daily basis, I have noticed that a lot of higher performance cars suffer from the same thing at start up, so I suspect its (as has been stated) that its the mapping to deal with high emissions during the warm up period.

It's not the MCT gearbox's clutch pack snatching slightly on a cold start, is it?
No, it's actually when you're already rolling and start to gently open the throttle. Sometimes it feels as though there's a bit of a flat spot, so you naturally give it a little bit more throttle and then it pulls harder than you expected, and the PIO cycle starts :)

On the subject of the clutch pack snatching slightly when cold, it does make for a somewhat nervous time when you're in a tight spot that requires a bit of shunting back and forth to get out of :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom