Engine bay squeak/chirp noise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KP090

Car
Mercedes 06 CLK 280 Sport
Hi,

Ive got a 2006 CLK 280. Recently ive noticed a constant squeak coming from the enging bay where all the pulleys are, the squeak/chirping noise seems to get faster and louder the higher the revs get.

Ive attached a video of it via youtube so im hoping it works.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Can anyone offer advice on what it might be, whether its a major repair and if the car can be driven without fear?

Thanks in advance!

I would suggest it's one of those pulleys with a failing bearing. Shouldn't be a big job for a good indie, especially if he can just replace a bearing rather than buying a pulley "assembly". Any decent motor factor should have the parts or get them at short notice.
If the bearing fails you are facing a siezed pulley and a tow from the RAC.

I would suggest it's one of those pulleys with a failing bearing. Shouldn't be a big job for a good indie, especially if he can just replace a bearing rather than buying a pulley "assembly". Any decent motor factor should have the parts or get them at short notice.
If the bearing fails you are facing a siezed pulley and a tow from the RAC.

So better get it done ASAP without driving too much? I got Star Motors in Caversham/Reading so it’s about a 25min drive...
Do you know how much it might cost?

So better get it done ASAP without driving too much? I got Star Motors in Caversham/Reading so it’s about a 25min drive...
Do you know how much it might cost?
Whatever it costs buddy , it will be cheaper having Ian doing it :)

Whatever it costs buddy , it will be cheaper having Ian doing it :)

Sir Ian you mean lol always glad to be able to get my car into Star Motors, I’m booked in for the 10th July anyway so will get them to check it out.

Hoping it’s not costly as I’m getting rid of it by end of the year and already had a few large bills

Change them, the pulley let go on my CLK, no warning and caused more problems. The shredded serpentine belt wrapped iit's self round the crankshaft between pulley and block. I drove home as only 50 yds to go.

Change them, the pulley let go on my CLK, no warning and caused more problems. The shredded serpentine belt wrapped iit's self round the crankshaft between pulley and block. I drove home as only 50 yds to go.

Thanks, I’ll get star motors to have a look next Friday whilst I’m there for another repair

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom