Final Edition SLC

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Sad to see it go, but I guess its motoring niche has been usurped by Mercedes own hot hatches and Coupe/Cabriolet versions of its saloons, all of which offer 4 seats/useable boot space for similar money. :dk:

Happy days residuals-wise for those of us with late SLK55’s [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess it’s one of those types of car people try and then after a period of ownership realise they are only using the drop top for x days a year?

I would have quite fancied one at some point in the future, good manageable size of car.

Happy days residuals-wise for those of us with late SLK55’s [emoji4]

Good quality , well cared for SLK55s will be “the one to have” of that model. As they get older originality and a digital service book completed correctly will be the ones sought after ;)

Owned an SLK 200 manual back in 2001 , big mistake . Nothing wrong with the car but 48 with thinning hair wasn't the right combination. SLK 320 or SLK55 it's still a car more suited to somebody under 40 who wears a bra. Did try it once but the straps kept slipping off my shoulders.

From another Carmarthen resident, I think you are very sexist and clearly have never driven an SLK 55 AMG . I have just bought one and think it is fabulous , despite being over 70 and having a bald patch

As I said, nothing wrong with the car and I have driven a 55. I just didn't feel comfortable driving it , too much "look at me". I'm entitled to my opinion .

Bit of a shame to see it go, but I don't think they are selling many so not really a surprise.

We really enjoyed our R171 facelift. In 2008 when we got it (just before the hardtop Z4 came out), there were not really any alternatives if you wanted a folding hardtop and two seats. Maybe an MX-5, which at the time I didn't want anyway.

Ours was the poverty-spec SLK 200 in Palladium Silver, Leather seats and a 6-speed manual gearbox. Sure it couldn't out do a capable hatchback in some aspects, but that's not really the point of having one. And although many consider the handling to be soggy or the steering dull etc. it actually pedalled along much better than most people think. There were several occasions along the twisty roads where hatchbacks in the rear view mirror trying to push me along (and I don't hang about, especially if I'm on my own) found themselves in terminal understeer with their driver having a squeeky-bum moment, whilst the SLK was nicely balanced and driving out of the corner. You could also have a reasonable conversation with your passenger at 100+ mph on the autobahn and would get up to 140 mph pretty easily and without any instability. Could get my golf clubs and pull-trolley in the boot and still fold the roof down. On several occasions we got camping gear, camera gear and clothes for a week for a trip and could still fold the roof down. It was utterly reliable too over the seven-years that we owned it and I sometimes wish we still had it.

Sure it couldn't out do a capable hatchback in some aspects, but that's not really the point of having one.
I think that's what many people miss, but hardly a surprise when you see the popularity of "lifestyle" cars like the Juke and Evoke...

70% of SLK/Cs sold in the Uk were diesel. Perhaps not offering that model for the last year has had an impact on sales. My local dealer says he can't get enough 250Ds to sell.
I have actually heard people in the dealer asking if "there is a diesel version".

How was the sale of diesel SLK/Cs in other countries? USA need not reply.

Sales have steadily dropped in our dealership since the model was face lifted to the SLC. It’s obviously an ageing model, but I do think people are opting for more practicality from convertibles now overall.

The diesel was the pick of the bunch from my perspective, but sales were down regardless. I don’t think I’ve sold a new SLC in 2018 or 2019. Only ex-demo or used cars

Poor spec and ridiculous prices finally killed it off which is a shame, I loved my time in my R172 SLK55 and still look at the used cars with affection. I nearly bought a new SLC in early 2017 (lucky escape), but the spec was seriously poor for a £50k car compared to the SLK55 it replaced. I also looked at a pre-reg SLC43, and made a stupid offer for it.....the car was still at the dealership 18 months later. (Thanks Mr Salesman)

In the end I bought a lightly used 981 Boxster, which drives much better than the SLK55, however it doesn't have the same quality, performance or engineering of a pukka V8 AMG car but was light years ahead of the SLC43 for similar money.

The SLC revamp of the SLK killed the car stone dead, it's a shame that Mercedes won't be in the small sports car segment, but I'm sure BMW, Audi and Porsche won't loose any sleep over that.

RR

Z4s and Boxters seem to be doing just fine... maybe they just weren’t cool enough!

We have a SLK250, we are really happy with it. It's great when the sun is out but also nice to drive during other times of the year. It's my wifes daily drive. The diesel engine is sluggish either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom