• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Fuel Additives

I used STP many years ago, then switched to Redex. Other good brands include Forte, Millers, and BG 44K (there are many brands). As far as I'm concerned I'd use any of these.

These days I simply use Premium fuels, which have the detergents already in the fuel, it a more convenient but also expensive way to achieve a similar effect.

It's worth noting that the cleaning effect of the detergent is more beneficial for port injection engines when both the intake valves and injectors get cleaned, than for direct injection engines where the intake valves aren't exposed to fuel (unless there's an additional injector in the intake manifold).

It's worth noting that the cleaning effect of the detergent is more beneficial for port injection engines when both the intake valves and injectors get cleaned, than for direct injection engines where the intake valves aren't exposed to fuel (unless there's an additional injector in the intake manifold).
Whooosh!

Mine has an engine I believe under the bonnet..

I do use premium petrol though just in case

🤔🫤🤷‍♂️

Robin

Never used fuel additives, most, if not all do nothing except take money.
Never had problems with injectors and usually fill up at Tesco etc.

Additives are added to the fuel in the pump. In the US, you can look for 'top tier' fuel which has the best additive package. See if there's something in the UK that's similar

I don't think that Mercedes officially approve any fuel or oil additives for use in any of their cars. That said I've always used injector cleaner two or three times a year (derv and petrol)......can't hurt....and my cars always do loads of miles. My current car has the original injectors at 170,000 miles.

^^^X2

I use STP once or twice in it's life cycle for keeping injectors clean especially on my M156 and keep Redex Octane booster handy for occasion use when filling up from supermarkets. Useful to have as maintenance product.

It's never crossed my mind for any MB V8 but has been occasionally "too necessary" for BMW 3 litre petrols after 60k miles.

I do use a regular fuel additive but only in my bike. Marine 2 stroke oil in the ratio of 1:640 has a cleaning effect due to the detergents and the marine spec means it's supposed to be ashless and leave no deposits. Over a long period of use, it does visibly clean the piston crown so presumably also the valves and combustion chamber. The other notable effect is elimination of any tendency to ping on 95 Ron petrol. Although it's commonly used by others I've been shy of using it in an engine with a cat. I did try it in my old 190e with no obvious problems.

Consult your Owner's Manual on the topic of fuel additives.

I no longer have a Merc (alas), but last I checked the official recommendation from MB was against using fuel additive unless they are already incorporated in the fuel by the fuel provider (presumably they don't trust drivers to add the correct amount to achieve the right ratio of detergent-to-fuel).

In spite of the above, personally I wouldn't hesitate to use fuel additives that I pour in myself, however I find it more convenient to simply buy premium fuels (Shell V-Power, BP Ultimate, Tesco Momentum, etc) that already have the higher-end additives pack in the fuel. But premium fuels is also an option for anyone who wants to comply with the official MB recommendation (assuming it's still in force today).

Additives are added to the fuel in the pump. In the US, you can look for 'top tier' fuel which has the best additive package. See if there's something in the UK that's similar

Yes, we do, they are referred to as 'premium fuels', and are slightly more expensive.

They have higher Octane number (which is only required for AMG cars), and the fuel provider"s 'best' additives pack, which is mainly higher-grade detergents to remove carbon deposits (from those engine parts that are exposed to unburned fuel) and lubricants (aka friction modifiers).

We actually have strange names for the fuel here...Premium it's not the top stuff....that's Super which is E5 max and 97 to 100 octane....Premium is the name of the standard 95 octane E10 stuff. Regular is not available in this country....although there are cars that could run on the 92 octane Regular stuff that you can buy in other countries. We used to sell 4 grades when I was a lad....sold as 2, 3, 4 and 5 star fuels.
5-Star = 100 octane, 4-Star = 98 octane, 3-Star = 93 octane, 2-Star = 87 octane!

People get confused between premium brands ( Shell, Esso, BP etc....the often more extensive stuff with no proven advantage)...and the Super and Premium grades which can be important....but only if you have a car that's either designed to run on 98 plus....or have a car that can advance its ignition far enough to take advantage of the knock resistance of the higher octane stuff. If your car was designed and optimised to run on 95 then putting 98 plus in won't do anything other than lighten your wallet.....unless of course you are forced to put 98 in because you have a car with plastic/rubber parts that are not tolerant of the higher ethanol levels of the recently introduced E10.....

Last edited:
In America, their unit of Octane is measured in AKI. Their 91 Octane AKI is roughly equivalent to 95 Octane RON and their 93 Octane AKI is roughly equivalent to our 98 Octane RON. Its about 3 points different, roughly speaking.

Yes, we do, they are referred to as 'premium fuels', and are slightly more expensive.
Premium is different. That's a higher octane fuel. top tier is mainly about additives that are either lubricants or detergents

For a fuel additive to be successful in breaking down carbon deposits in your engine, it would have to be very strong stuff, especially when you dilute it with a tank of fuel.
Similar strength to the blood of Sigourney Weaver’s Alien I would imagine.

Last edited:
Used RED X in all my cars fuel tanks for 50 years . For a good reason .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom