• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

GLC Nox sensor malfunction

MercGLC

Car
Mercedes GLC
Hi all

I'd really appreciate some help here. I have a Mercedes GLC Off-Road (X253) 250d 2.1 4-matic (253.909) 204 HP, 2016 model.

A few weeks back, the yellow engine light started appearing on the instrument panel. The error code when checked with OBD was “P229F $07E8”. I took the car to Mercedes where they said that the Nox sensor needs to be replaced. They also said that they don't have the part available in their inventory and it could take up to 6 months to get/make it from Germany due to longer than expected waiting queues. I checked a few of my local workshops but none could arrange it. My local workshop gave me the part numbers which I tried to find everywhere (online and in workshops) but in vain. No one seems to recognise these parts. I am starting to doubt that the part numbers are incorrect.

Part numbers:
A0009052519 (downstream sensor which must be replaced).
A0009058611 (this is the upstream sensor and currently working fine but my workshop asked me to replace this as well).
Does anyone know what else I can do to resolve the situation? Where can I get the correct part numbers?

Thanks.

Attachments

• Error code.jpeg
    Error code.jpeg
    356.3 KB · Views: 10
  • Mercedes assessment 2.jpg
    Mercedes assessment 2.jpg
    291.2 KB · Views: 9
Hi all

I'd really appreciate some help here. I have a Mercedes GLC Off-Road (X253) 250d 2.1 4-matic (253.909) 204 HP, 2016 model.

A few weeks back, the yellow engine light started appearing on the instrument panel. The error code when checked with OBD was “P229F $07E8”. I took the car to Mercedes where they said that the Nox sensor needs to be replaced. They also said that they don't have the part available in their inventory and it could take up to 6 months to get/make it from Germany due to longer than expected waiting queues. I checked a few of my local workshops but none could arrange it. My local workshop gave me the part numbers which I tried to find everywhere (online and in workshops) but in vain. No one seems to recognise these parts. I am starting to doubt that the part numbers are incorrect.

Part numbers:
A0009058611 (this is the upstream sensor and currently working fine but my workshop asked me to replace this as well).
Does anyone know what else I can do to resolve the situation? Where can I get the correct part numbers?

Thanks.
You only have to do a search for NOx sensors in the forums to find a ton of comments on the subject. They’re very much the bane of very many Mercedes owners, including me. I’ve had mine replaced twice, the first time under warranty and the second time as “a gesture of goodwill.” But they were shown to be faulty yet again a couple of years later.

Getting fed up with the whole issue, and hearing about the many delays in getting replacements, I decided to get the OBD fault code removed from the ECU. All was well for a couple of years then another code popped up, with the same description of a faulty sensor. I didn’t have time to deal with it so I cancelled it myself on my cheap ODB reader. A couple of weeks later and it came on again. This happened again before long. All the time the car was only being used for short journeys. Then I had to go for a long drive of about 200 miles. The engine management light hasn’t come back on since.

I suspect (and hope) that the issue is simply that the sensors had been getting choked up in the exhaust system, and recorded as faulty. All they needed was a thoroughly good run to clear them.

If most of your car use is shortish trips, I recommend trying a long drive to see if that sorts the issue. You’ll have to buy an ODB reader but they’re very cheap. They’re certainly a lot cheaper than the roughly £600 it costs to have Mercedes replace a single sensor!

Good luck.

Unfortunately the world wide shortage of electrical components is still biting the motor industry. It is true its possible to have to wait a while, I had to wait 9 months for one set to arrive for a particular model. PITA.

Unfortunately the world wide shortage of electrical components is still biting the motor industry. It is true its possible to have to wait a while, I had to wait 9 months for one set to arrive for a particular model. PITA.
Thanks. Do you by any chance remember the part numbers?

You only have to do a search for NOx sensors in the forums to find a ton of comments on the subject. They’re very much the bane of very many Mercedes owners, including me. I’ve had mine replaced twice, the first time under warranty and the second time as “a gesture of goodwill.” But they were shown to be faulty yet again a couple of years later.

Getting fed up with the whole issue, and hearing about the many delays in getting replacements, I decided to get the OBD fault code removed from the ECU. All was well for a couple of years then another code popped up, with the same description of a faulty sensor. I didn’t have time to deal with it so I cancelled it myself on my cheap ODB reader. A couple of weeks later and it came on again. This happened again before long. All the time the car was only being used for short journeys. Then I had to go for a long drive of about 200 miles. The engine management light hasn’t come back on since.

I suspect (and hope) that the issue is simply that the sensors had been getting choked up in the exhaust system, and recorded as faulty. All they needed was a thoroughly good run to clear them.

If most of your car use is shortish trips, I recommend trying a long drive to see if that sorts the issue. You’ll have to buy an ODB reader but they’re very cheap. They’re certainly a lot cheaper than the roughly £600 it costs to have Mercedes replace a single sensor!

Good luck.
My workshop cleaned it but the warning light reappeared two weeks time when I was on a long drive. Perhaps the cleaning process wasn't detailed enough.

Hi all

Part numbers:

Thanks.
sorry to ask you late since this was written. Have you solved the problem?

sorry to ask you late since this was written. Have you solved the problem?
No worries. Better late than sorry :)
The short answer is 'Not fixed yet'. Please see below the longer version.
Note: My GLC has four cylinders. Therefore it only has Bank sensors (1 and 2). GLC also comes in a V6 engine which has both Bank 1 and 2. I believe you also have the 4 cylinders.

After doing a lot of internet research and asking around some good workshops, I concluded that my initial doubts about having the wrong part numbers were true.

I had been trying to find the Sensor A0009052519 but in vain. I then contacted a known and reliable Mercedes dealership in Canada who informed me that the A0009052519 is an old number and is not used anymore. Mercedes has replaced this with the new part number A0009058411. I could not get this part from Mercedes as they had a big backlog of orders. However, I found it on eBay and installed it. I had a strong feeling the part was not original but still went ahead with the purchase. The warning light went away. Unfortunately, the warning light came back with the same error after driving 550 miles. This time I again contacted Mercedes first. They said that the part is now available and they can change the sensor before the end of the year. So basically, I am right now waiting for the part to arrive from Germany and then will take it to Mercedes. At least, I am now satisfied that I checked all possible solutions but in this very case, I would go to Mercedes and get the original part installed. If the warning light still comes back then at least I can claim the repair from the warranty that they will provide with their original new part.

I can understand the frustration you're facing with the NOx sensor issue in your Mercedes GLC off-road. A friend of mine had a similar problem finding a genuine NOx Sensor for this Mercedes. He was looking for a replacement because the NOx sensor failed due to overheating.

After thorough research and some recommendations, he purchased the NOx Sensors from xenons4u. They Specialize in genuine automotive parts, including NOx sensors, and their products are backed by a warranty.

My friend has a positive experience with them, resolving a similar issue in the car. The support from xenons4u helped him identify the correct part numbers and ensured a smooth replacement process. It's worth reaching out to them to see if they have the correct part number and availability for your vehicle.
I hope you will get your Mercedes back on track soon!

I can understand the frustration you're facing with the NOx sensor issue in your Mercedes GLC off-road. A friend of mine had a similar problem finding a genuine NOx Sensor for this Mercedes. He was looking for a replacement because the NOx sensor failed due to overheating.

After thorough research and some recommendations, he purchased the NOx Sensors from xenons4u. They Specialize in genuine automotive parts, including NOx sensors, and their products are backed by a warranty.

My friend has a positive experience with them, resolving a similar issue in the car. The support from xenons4u helped him identify the correct part numbers and ensured a smooth replacement process. It's worth reaching out to them to see if they have the correct part number and availability for your vehicle.
I hope you will get your Mercedes back on track soon!
If you want a quick fix i.e. you're not keeping the vehicle this may be faster/cheap option but you're not going to beat genuine MB NOx sensors plus when you have them fitted, the software is updated and this is proving far more reliable a fix. Delays on genuine NOx sensors have also been largely resolved now, as I understand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom