• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

GLE AIRMATIC bag replacement

cws196

Car
S205 C250d AMG Premium+
Back to trying to fix the AIRMATIC issue on my dad's W166 GLE350d and right now it's looking like it's a leaking air spring as it's now sagging on the offside-rear, overnight. I'm looking at MB OE bags that are £395 +VAT and seeing equivalent bags from Arnott, Sachs and Dunlop (cost descending in that order). Has anyone used non-OE springs before? I can get 2 Sachs springs for the price of a single MB OE spring, but is it false economy?

Back to trying to fix the AIRMATIC issue on my dad's W166 GLE350d and right now it's looking like it's a leaking air spring as it's now sagging on the offside-rear, overnight. I'm looking at MB OE bags that are £395 +VAT and seeing equivalent bags from Arnott, Sachs and Dunlop (cost descending in that order). Has anyone used non-OE springs before? I can get 2 Sachs springs for the price of a single MB OE spring, but is it false economy?
I have not had a good experience with aftermarket airstruts. When Mercedes parts were on back order, I had to order one front strut, and separately two rear struts, and they all knocked terribly immediately. As soon as the Mercedes parts became available they were replaced - the replacements were worse than the originals and I had to pay for fitting twice. Never again.

I have not had a good experience with aftermarket airstruts. When Mercedes parts were on back order, I had to order one front strut, and separately two rear struts, and they all knocked terribly immediately. As soon as the Mercedes parts became available they were replaced - the replacements were worse than the originals and I had to pay for fitting twice. Never again.
It's not the strut (my explanation probably isn't so good!), it's the actual air bag that needs to be replaced. This is literally just a sealed rubber bag without any bushes, electronics, moving parts etc etc.

It's not the strut (my explanation probably isn't so good!), it's the actual air bag that needs to be replaced. This is literally just a sealed rubber bag without any bushes, electronics, moving parts etc etc.
Your explanation was very clear - I was just sharing my experience of aftermarket suspension components not being worth the risk - it ended up costing much more.

It’s worth considering with jobs like this that the labour cost will be the same no matter what quality of part you choose 👍

(And if you end up having to repeat the work, as per the example above, it quickly will become a false economy!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom