• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Goodwood Festival of Speed - CANCELLED - due to high winds

That’s sad for all concerned especially when the rest of Europe appear to be be basking in 40°.
Brexit, you see.

If Farage hadn’t forced “that thing” through, we would be having EU weather: 35 degrees in Berlin, 40 degrees in the Club Med States and up to 50 (122 degrees F) in Sicily.

Although “Health and Safety gone mad” is in there too, with the risk of all those temporary stands and tents being blown away in those 50 mph gusts.

Weather happens. Let’s just hope that Goodwood’s insurance is in good shape when they refund Saturday’s tickets.

A lot of not very happy FOS goers in the local pubs and hotel last night.....made worse no doubt by the fact they are no longer predicting any rain today and just high 40s mph gusts and it's a pretty sunny day. We have had worse weather than that in the past and it never was cancelled....sign of the times we live in....safety nazi's and lawyers worried about being sued running the show......not that I was going ....gotta work!:mad:
I too would be more than annoyed if I had just driven from Germany in a BMW 2002, paid the ferries and two nights in a hotel....then told the night before that its off because it's a bit windy............like a guy I met staying in our village hotel last night.

A lot of not very happy FOS goers in the local pubs and hotel last night.....made worse no doubt by the fact they are no longer predicting any rain today and just high 40s mph gusts and it's a pretty sunny day. We have had worse weather than that in the past and it never was cancelled....sign of the times we live in....safety nazi's and lawyers worried about being sued running the show......not that I was going ....gotta work!:mad:
I too would be more than annoyed if I had just driven from Germany in a BMW 2002, paid the ferries and two nights in a hotel....then told the night before that its off because it's a bit windy............like a guy I met staying in our village hotel last night.
🤣🤣🤣 that’s the trouble with the minority who prefer to rant rubbish and moan about H&S etc. They will never understand risk management for businesses, nor statistical analysis, nor the business of insurance and reinsurance, in fact not even plain common sense. They prefer the rant and rave of ignorances, goodness knows why.

Sh*t happens, all of the time. Get over it 🙃

Thursday it was starting to get windy, maybe 20mph.

That said you have 50,000 people there each day, site surrounded by huge and I mean huge ancient trees, all it takes is for one branch to fall and kill a person or child and then the event is gone for good.

Anyone doubting the strength of the wind should be in my garden at the moment. We are on the coast just a few miles south of Goodwood and the trees in our garden are hanging on for grim death trying to avoid a trip to Goodwood. BBC Weather are quoting 50mph gusts and thundery showers.

I was joking about “Health and Safety gone mad” and poor weather due to “Brexit.”

As the announcement says, it’s not really about the trees or even drivers killing themselves on track. It’s the temporary structures being blown away and all that consequent danger to life and limb.

50 mile gusts are exceptional and dangerous.

One cancellation in 30 years is pretty good going.

Personally I applaud the organisers for making such a difficult decision.

I would image that takings in local pubs and restaurants will be even greater than they would been today, assuming that they don’t run out…

Personally I applaud the organisers for making such a difficult decision.

I would image that takings in local pubs and restaurants will be even greater than they would been today, assuming that they don’t run out…
^^ This ^^

The point was that we have had worse weather at some of the early FOS.....no one talked of cancelation then....sign of the times. I'm working just a few miles from Goodwood and I'm right by the sea....its not that windy....certainly not 50 mph....yet at least!

As far as local pub etc doing well....I doubt it compared to keeping the show on.....loads of FOS traffic is going past me....just going home.....no point in staying if you cant go.

🤣🤣🤣 that’s the trouble with the minority who prefer to rant rubbish and moan about H&S etc. They will never understand risk management for businesses, nor statistical analysis, nor the business of insurance and reinsurance, in fact not even plain common sense. They prefer the rant and rave of ignorances, goodness knows why.

Sh*t happens, all of the time. Get over it 🙃
LOL.....makes you wonder how any of us are alive after all the those years of storms and windy days at shows, race meets and festivals over all those years!! Everyone's gone soft!

Looks too darn hot for me...

View attachment 143470
Its a little warm!

We’re off to Skiathos tomorrow to our house for a couple of weeks so we’ve got a 4.5hr drive across mainland Greece and then a 2hr ferry ride.

It’ll feel cooler there because it gets a decent breeze.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom