• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Grand Designs...

Very sad to see that the guy passed away - touching programme - his widow was very strong.

One of the few houses I've actually liked on this programme - I had given up watching as I couldn't relate to any of the people or houses.

Two things I particularly liked (apart from the house in general which both Mrs E and I liked) was that she called it a house/home and not a property, and it also looked liked a lived-in family home and not a sterile showhouse.

It used to be great when it first started when it had programmes like the community wooden chalet project just outside Brighton or the New Homes build with the out of work tenants doing the building and learning a trade and potentially starting a career. Ben's house in the woods and the Hippy house in Wales also stand out, but i have no interest in the 'look how much money i've got' vanity projects which seem to account for the majority of the programmes now. As soon as i see an Alessi kettle or a Le Corbusier i know it's going to be bland.

I like it a lot, and I thought last night's house was excellent, well-designed and touching in the circumstances. What I find most instructive is the best ones are more than merely houses - a Gesamtkunstwerk as Wagner would say, where both client and architect are in sympathy and share a common aesthetic. As someone with growing interest in Modernist architecture, Le Corbusier doesn't frighten me, but by heavens it has to be spot on to be right.

It was a great house with some really good problem-solving in it. Sensible give/take budgeting by the architect - quite unlike a lot of the Grand Designs houses.

It's also in my town. Haven't seen it (and it's quite a small town) - it took a fair bit of Googling to find out where it is. I shall take a stroll by over the next week or so.

It was a great house with some really good problem-solving in it. Sensible give/take budgeting by the architect - quite unlike a lot of the Grand Designs houses.

It's also in my town. Haven't seen it (and it's quite a small town) - it took a fair bit of Googling to find out where it is. I shall take a stroll by over the next week or so.

What town? In fact what street?

A little information here
Planning application numbers C/08/1378 and C/07/1401

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom