Headlights...Finally!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Some great work here, really makes a big difference. Faded lights really do make a car look tired! Now if they would only stop misting up !

Half an hour well spent his morning with a drill and a Meguires headlamp restoration kit..
Pics shows one done and one to do.
d1d01920aca67d44551d90d3e17c18b0.jpg
6473cd7a68d39797f1a36f4da07bc09d.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quite an improvement were you guys able to see anything in the dark with the before pictures o_O

Quite an improvement were you guys able to see anything in the dark with the before pictures o_O

Hmm. A member for 18 months with few posts and then over 20 in one day. Are you trying to raise your post count to try to contact someone?

Part way through doing my lamps today, (3M kit) before it got too dark to continue. Can anyone recommend a good lacquer to protect the lamps from future UV discoloration, once I have finished compounding them please?

^ I used a rattle can of Halfords clear lacquer. Still sealed a year later.
There may be better products, but that lacquer is good to spray on the alloys if you do a bit of DIY refurbishment

Nah, I prefer the excitement of never quite knowing what's ahead hahaha

Surprisingly I've never really noticed a degradation in the amount of light from the headlights, always been an MOT pass as well. To be honest even with the foggy headlights, the lights are better than the non-Xenons in my other half's CLS.

Lots of different techniques can be used, my favourite if they are particularly bad is a wetsand (with varying grits) and compounding to finish up. You can buy chemicals/wipes that remove the yellowing, but they only really work on some yellowing and don't bring it up perfect in my opinion.

Whatever you do, coat them afterwards with a UV protective polish. Can't remember exactly the name of what I have but it is bloody brilliant and only needs to be topped up every few months. I'm sure a ceramic coating would do a good job here too. DO NOT lacquer them - the lacquer never lasts and water gets in making them look even worse than before!

Hmm, different views on lacquer vs polish I see Now thinking that a good polish may be a first option, keeping the idea of a lacquer in reserve if the lights start deteriorating again in future, despite regular polishing.

Hmm, different views on lacquer vs polish I see Now thinking that a good polish may be a first option, keeping the idea of a lacquer in reserve if the lights start deteriorating again in future, despite regular polishing.

If you use the Megs kit as in Post#23, the sealant provided is very good. It will last at least a year without the UV breaking it down.

Do not lacquer. I repeat. Do not lacquer. Use a UV coating/ceramic

If you use the Megs kit as in Post#23, the sealant provided is very good. It will last at least a year without the UV breaking it down.
Do not lacquer. I repeat. Do not lacquer. Use a UV coating/ceramic

Many thanks for the advice folks. UV sealant now on order :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom