Help wrong water pump send by Autodoc W205.004

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jim4ewa

Car
w205
IMG_3927.jpeg
Hi all,
Been on pre-MOT check for my 2017 C220d W205.004 at my local test centre last week and been advised that there is a squeaking noise from the auxiliary belt tensioner that will require new auxiliary belt, belt tension and belt idler. All totalling £589 with the 4 hour labour.

Had replaced all these myself on my previous W204 and decided to save the money and roll up my sleeves. After listening pinpointed the squeaking noise to the tensioner / water pump area. After entering my car reg. ordered non-OEM water pump (Dolz) and tensioner pulley from Autodoc.

Parts arrived yesterday, took the original water pump out, but discovered that there is minor differences between new and old pump. The replacement pump is missing a hole seemingly connected to a vacuum tube going behind the water pumps pulley with an opening at the gasket side. There is also tiny hole at the base of the pulley that is missing on the replacement pump (please see photos).

Has anyone replaced one like this before? Can you advise if is alright to install it. Felling like Autodoc has wrong pumps on their site. Do you think the hole does anything, bearing in mind that it stops at the gasket?

Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_3928.jpeg
    IMG_3928.jpeg
    952.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3929.jpeg
    IMG_3929.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3934.jpeg
    IMG_3934.jpeg
    218 KB · Views: 15
I don't know the answer to your question, but I'm wondering if the new pump has been modified following the water pump recall? The issue at the time was that the vacuum-controlled pump could leak into the vacuum hose that connected to the electronic controller and cause a short circuit that could start a fire.

I don't know the answer to your question, but I'm wondering if the new pump has been modified following the water pump recall? The issue at the time was that the vacuum-controlled pump could leak into the vacuum hose that connected to the electronic controller and cause a short circuit that could start a fire.

Many thanks markjay,
I had a better look at Autodoc now and only the low price band pumps are with no hole on them.

The recall seems to be on the electrical changeover valve rather than on the pump itself.

The tiny hole looks like a 'weep' hole this will drip when the bearing seal begins to fail , warning you it's time to replace the pump.

Bit confused . do you NEED to put a pipe on the spigot sticking out ? If not the blank in the gasket will hold back the coolant and a blanking hose could be fitted to the spigot for good measure.

The tiny hole looks like a 'weep' hole this will drip when the bearing seal begins to fail , warning you it's time to replace the pump.

Bit confused . do you NEED to put a pipe on the spigot sticking out ? If not the blank in the gasket will hold back the coolant and a blanking hose could be fitted to the spigot for good measure.
Thanks Petrol Pete,
tube gets connected to the spigot than it goes to a 3 way vacuum changeover valve. I’m guessing the recall valve in question from markjay’s post above.

For what it's worth, a member here had the opposite problem.

He bought a second hand car that had the coolant pump replaced by the previous owner, and the new pump had the short vacuum hose connector, not connected to anything... and he was wondering whether something should have been connected to it.

I am guessing that there are two types of pumps, with and without the vacuum hose connector. But I don't know if the coolant pump without the vacuum hose can be replaced with a pump that does have the vacuum hose but left unconnected. Seems that (some) garages are doing just that....

I would return it if you are in doubt, I allways go with genuine MB for water pumps Etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom