High Beam Assist not working on ILS headlights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Used mine last night,magic, unlit road beam up, pass neon lit shops on poorly lit road beam long dip, vehicle approach short dip, bend in unlit road, beam uppish and left, or right, come up behind moving vehicle beam dipped before you blind him in his mirrors, inky black night, beam wide and long. Magic, hope you get it sorted.

Peter, many thanks for letting me know how it should be. :). I'm getting confused as I believe I should have it and Neil at Braybrooks has confirmed that the vehicle has it on its build sheet, just don't know how to get it working if it is active...

Last edited:
No,mine has two light strips across each headlight, and written across the bottom front just behind the headlight glass it says intelligent light system, or something similar.

No,mine has two light strips across each headlight, and written across the bottom front just behind the headlight glass it says intelligent light system, or something similar.

Is that on the “E” or a “GLC”?

E 350 CDI Premium Plus Bluetec coupe. Written inside headlight is, LED Intelligent Light System.

E 350 CDI Premium Plus Bluetec coupe. Written inside headlight is, LED Intelligent Light System.

Thanks Peter. I also have the Intelligent Lighting System in the headlights. I think I will await the response from my email to the dealer and see where that takes me...

Light in auto, check to see if the high beam assist is on the menu in the middle of the dash and push the stalk forward. If that is not the case then you have a problem. Swtiching the assist on and off is an option in the menu though.

Can’t think of anything else that will make it not work.

Light in auto, check to see if the high beam assist is on the menu in the middle of the dash and push the stalk forward. If that is not the case then you have a problem. Swtiching the assist on and off is an option in the menu though.

Can’t think of anything else that will make it not work.

Hi. Thanks for your advice. Unfortunately that menu is not there. It just seems strange that the build code suggests that it is and ILS is imprinted in the lights...

Check that the lights are not set for driving on the right.....If set for RHD then most of the ILS functions are disabled. Also check the the main switch on the dash is in the AUTO position.

FWIW, I had a SLK with ILS (turning, corner illumination etc) but it did not have auto dimming of high beam.

Check that the lights are not set for driving on the right.....If set for RHD then most of the ILS functions are disabled. Also check the the main switch on the dash is in the AUTO position.

FWIW, I had a SLK with ILS (turning, corner illumination etc) but it did not have auto dimming of high beam.

Thanks for your response. Definitely on auto and definitely on left hand. It may well be the same as your SLK but the build spec does say different according to Braybrooks.

I spent a month in France & Spain recently and with the lights set for RHD traffic (C Class) they still behaved exactly as they did in the UK, all functions still worked. Different models must have different versions of this system?

I spent a month in France & Spain recently and with the lights set for RHD traffic (C Class) they still behaved exactly as they did in the UK, all functions still worked. Different models must have different versions of this system?

From my manual .....

• If you change the setting, conversion does not take place until the next time the vehicle is stationary.
If you set the dipped-beam headlamps for driving on the right/left, then motorway mode and the extended range foglamps are unavailable. These are only deactivated if the setting for driving on the left/right is set opposite to your vehicle's country version.

So you are probably correct with high beam and some other functions - however I didn't do any night driving on my trips to Europe last year - just had recollection that functions went missing when switched over to RHD.

All
Just spoken to Dave in After sales at Peterborough Mercedes who is absolutely fantastic at customer service (I don't think I could have found a more helpful person ever.)
He confirmed the existence of the high beam assist on the car and also confirmed that it had had a recall for high beam assist that was due.
As I am too far from them he advised booking it into Gatwick Mercedes and if they charged me for the inspection, he would cover the costs. He also said that if they have an issue or I have a problem getting it sorted with them, he will send another car down for us to use and they will collect mine and do what they need to do to repair the problem.
Great customer service from the hole team at Peterborough so far....

SOLVED
Great News on this. It went into Mercedes Gatwick under warranty and they sorted the issue and the lights now work as they should which is absolutely brilliant and we are really chuffed.
However, they were very coy about what the fix was suggesting it was something to do with a relay update???? Apparently they spent around four hours until they found the issue.
Still, at least it now works and the white auto lights symbol now comes on when high beam is activated :).
Thanks to all for your input..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom