HP D1560 Deskjet printer query

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

24 VRT

Car
'99 S210 E320CDI A/garde - gone to a better place.. Now '09 S211 E320CDI Sport.
Hi all - the forum has over the years been a wealth of information and advice on various topics, so I'm putting this one up just in case there are any inkjet experts around.
The wife is slowly destroying our ancient printer so I have looked about for a replacement - firm believer in recycling, so would rather buy a used model that still has life in it and where I can get old stock/unused cartridges at reasonable prices. We only print the odd document (1 or 2 sheets a week on average) and have a seperate scanner so no need for an All In One machine / PSC.
I found a D1560 on eBay which was being sold because the seller said they put a refilled black cartridge in it and it didn't like it - the green power light flashing continually and it refused to do anything - so they sold as spares/repairs. Got it for £7.65 delivered and got it powered up with the cartidges moving from side to side so not jammed. On Windows 8.1 PC the drivers were found and I also downloaded the HP Print & Scan Doctor software - that found the printer and, after I installed genuine HP cartridges, I got it to try the realingning and cleaning actions. The printer receives the instructions and springs into life - going through the motions as it would normally and pulling the paper through correctly. However when it is finished, there is just a blank sheet of paper. Looking at the colour cartridge jet head there are signs of ink, so I don't think the issue is with the cartridges themselves - that said there are no similar inky signs on the black one. Both cartridges were well past warranty dates (2008) but still in their sealed foil wrappers, so I don't think they can have dried out.
So, as far as I can tell, mechanically the cartridges are travelling as they should and the paper is feeding correctly. I've never had issues installing out of date HP cartridges so doubt they are the problem. It is as though everything is doing what it should except for the signal getting to the heads to spray the ink. Contacts on machine and cartridges are clean and look ok, so is there anything else I should look at/try? I do have the drivers cd so could try uninstalling the printer and re-installing using the cd, in case there is a drivers problem, if that could be the issue - can't see it though as the printer is responding to PC instructions.
Any suggestions / advice would be welcome.
Thanks.

A 15+ year old cartridge likely has clogged or dried nozzles. Regardless if it's sealed or not. (Warranty date is 08, but cartridge will be a couple of years older than that)

Does the green light still flash? Did you sort that issue out before attempting to print?
Yep - cleared the fault so have solid green light. I accept the risk of clogged cartridges - trying to see if there are other issues to look to before shelling out on 'newer' cartridges. Even more recent 'out of date' ones will be c.£15 each.

I gave up on inkjet printers which were always blocking up due to infrequent use. I have a compact laser printer which will work without fail even if not used from one year to the next.

I use a Canon inkjet printer, it gets very infrequent use but then gets intensive periods of photo printing. It never fails to produce very acceptable results, especially images printed on photo paper but then I only ever use genuine Canon ink cartridges?

Hi all - the forum has over the years been a wealth of information and advice on various topics, so I'm putting this one up just in case there are any inkjet experts around.
The wife is slowly destroying our ancient printer so I have looked about for a replacement - firm believer in recycling, so would rather buy a used model that still has life in it and where I can get old stock/unused cartridges at reasonable prices. We only print the odd document (1 or 2 sheets a week on average) and have a seperate scanner so no need for an All In One machine / PSC.
I found a D1560 on eBay which was being sold because the seller said they put a refilled black cartridge in it and it didn't like it - the green power light flashing continually and it refused to do anything - so they sold as spares/repairs. Got it for £7.65 delivered and got it powered up with the cartidges moving from side to side so not jammed. On Windows 8.1 PC the drivers were found and I also downloaded the HP Print & Scan Doctor software - that found the printer and, after I installed genuine HP cartridges, I got it to try the realingning and cleaning actions. The printer receives the instructions and springs into life - going through the motions as it would normally and pulling the paper through correctly. However when it is finished, there is just a blank sheet of paper. Looking at the colour cartridge jet head there are signs of ink, so I don't think the issue is with the cartridges themselves - that said there are no similar inky signs on the black one. Both cartridges were well past warranty dates (2008) but still in their sealed foil wrappers, so I don't think they can have dried out.
So, as far as I can tell, mechanically the cartridges are travelling as they should and the paper is feeding correctly. I've never had issues installing out of date HP cartridges so doubt they are the problem. It is as though everything is doing what it should except for the signal getting to the heads to spray the ink. Contacts on machine and cartridges are clean and look portable printer, so is there anything else I should look at/try? I do have the drivers cd so could try uninstalling the printer and re-installing using the cd, in case there is a drivers problem, if that could be the issue - can't see it though as the printer is responding to PC instructions.
Any suggestions / advice would be welcome.
Thanks.
I have an HP Deskjet D1560. Right now the light on the printer is flashing. I can't turn it off and it won't print. I have unplugged both plugs-ins in back several times and waited. But it just continues to blink. I have also shut down my computer several times with the same results. I have tried to use the Troubleshooting guide for the printer but find some instructions too difficult to understand so I keep clicking Next. I have also gone to Control Panel/Printers and Faxes and clicked Properties. Since there is an option to click on Print offline, I assume that I am set up to print online. I have had this before and have, by trial and error, managed to fix it, but not this time. I have had no problem with it in months and I print a lot.

I gave up on inkjet printers which were always blocking up due to infrequent use. I have a compact laser printer which will work without fail even if not used from one year to the next.
Me too, always having to replace ink jet cartridges even when almost full. Laser printer every time is your use is infrequent.

24 VRT They are critical as to what cartridges you put in the HP ptinter . I just keep refilling my old empty original catrridge . Use the scan doctor utility to find the problem . I started to have problems last February with my HP 5310 . .So i pulld the plug on it .And took a Cannon home for £34 inc ink .Cant fault it yet , other than the paper is feed in from the top rear ..on my old HP the paper had its own tray https://support.hp.com/lv-en/printer-setup/hp-deskjet-d1500-printer-series/3374271/model/3762405

24 VRT They are critical as to what cartridges you put in the HP ptinter . I just keep refilling my old empty original catrridge . Use the scan doctor utility to find the problem . I started to have problems last February with my HP 5310 . .So i pulld the plug on it .And took a Cannon home for £34 inc ink .Cant fault it yet , other than the paper is feed in from the top rear ..on my old HP the paper had its own tray. Try this - All Programs/HP/HP Solution Center/and it told me that it was a cartridge problem. So I took out both the color and black carts and put them back in again. Then I tried to print a document and it worked!! The printer light is now out. Hallelujah!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom