• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

I Finally got Caught Last Monday Morning

Thank you for your comments 🙏🏻

We had been away on a three week tour of Europe and were heading home. We’d stopped in Affalterbach for lunch with our engine builders and that night we stayed in the V8 hotel at Motorworld in Boeblingen before doing the final leg home next day.

We were getting lots and lots of false alerts from our motion sensors and cameras which were keeping our children awake - they were young, it was almost 0100 and we all needed to be up at 0600 to get to the Eurotunnel - so we silenced the alerts.

We received a phone call from my father in law at 0700 as we were heading to the car, to tell us that a neighbour had noticed that our front doors and flanking windows had been knocked through and away from the brickwork, and were lay at 45 degrees.

We checked the cameras, and incredibly the first silenced alert was just five minutes after I silenced them, and was the thieves stepping on to our drive. Had I not silenced the alerts then I would have seen them and could have sounded the alarms.

To add to that, on the first day of our holiday the home security system received a firmware update and completely bricked the control unit, meaning that when the door was knocked through, the sensors didn’t trigger and the alarm didn’t sound.

It was a once in a lifetime holiday but as well as losing the ashes, the alarm failure, our dog also passed away on the second day, and when we arrived home we were greeted with cars parked on our drive and teenagers drinking in our front garden.

We arrived home precisely 24 hours after the car was taken, literally to the minute. A footballer who shall remain nameless was renting the house opposite - he was away and his home-alone teenage daughter had a Facebook party which was out of control.

Had the party happened the day before then the car and ashes wouldn’t have been stolen. Had the thieves arrived a day later then the car and ashes wouldn’t have been taken. Had the alerts not been silenced or alarm not failed then they might have aborted.

Minutes after we heard the news I remembered that I had taken our baby’s ashes to work with me the day before our holiday, and they were still in the car - I was taking them to have jewellery made with them as a surprise, but ran out of time.

We were all devastated. It was a very long and very painful journey home.

And there's me worrying about my car
Hey ho . . . . .now I know better

We had been away on a three week tour of Europe and were heading home. We’d stopped in Affalterbach for lunch with our engine builders and that night we stayed in the V8 hotel at Motorworld in Boeblingen before doing the final leg home next day.

We were getting lots and lots of false alerts from our motion sensors and cameras which were keeping our children awake - they were young, it was almost 0100 and we all needed to be up at 0600 to get to the Eurotunnel - so we silenced the alerts.

We received a phone call from my father in law at 0700 as we were heading to the car, to tell us that a neighbour had noticed that our front doors and flanking windows had been knocked through and away from the brickwork, and were lay at 45 degrees.

We checked the cameras, and incredibly the first silenced alert was just five minutes after I silenced them, and was the thieves stepping on to our drive. Had I not silenced the alerts then I would have seen them and could have sounded the alarms.

To add to that, on the first day of our holiday the home security system received a firmware update and completely bricked the control unit, meaning that when the door was knocked through, the sensors didn’t trigger and the alarm didn’t sound.

It was a once in a lifetime holiday but as well as losing the ashes, the alarm failure, our dog also passed away on the second day, and when we arrived home we were greeted with cars parked on our drive and teenagers drinking in our front garden.

We arrived home precisely 24 hours after the car was taken, literally to the minute. A footballer who shall remain nameless was renting the house opposite - he was away and his home-alone teenage daughter had a Facebook party which was out of control.

Had the party happened the day before then the car and ashes wouldn’t have been stolen. Had the thieves arrived a day later then the car and ashes wouldn’t have been taken. Had the alerts not been silenced or alarm not failed then they might have aborted.

Minutes after we heard the news I remembered that I had taken our baby’s ashes to work with me the day before our holiday, and they were still in the car - I was taking them to have jewellery made with them as a surprise, but ran out of time.

Bless you all mate.

There are no words.

Can only echo what others have said.

Thoughts are with you.

OK gentlemen and ladies of the forum;
My replacement GLc
Arrived on time, but with a NOX sensor blown, it happened on the delivery trip on the M1 at Bedford, so well into the journey.
Because it was in Blackburn and because I had done it successfully twice before (my R172 SLK and the R231 SL) I bought the car based on videos, photos and discussions with the sales guy

I did an inspection when it arrived and found a couple of niggles, but, the next day, the Engineer arrived to fit the Ghost II and stuck a scanner up the OBD port, then downloaded the results . . . .a safeguard against disreputable owners.
There are about a dozen errors.
These are all being handled under warranty and it all seems to be going well . . . .fingers crossed.

It is a really nice car
Easy to drive on 18" rims (the other one was on 19")
Paintwork is good
Interior is good (some minor marks, but, it's 8 years old so it ain't going to be perfect and anyway, I know a man who can rectify leather interior problems, should they arise

Photos;

Attachments

• Exterior 1 reduced.jpg
    Exterior 1 reduced.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 19
  • Exterior 2 reduced.jpg
    Exterior 2 reduced.jpg
    1,014.8 KB · Views: 18
  • interior 1 reduced.jpg
    interior 1 reduced.jpg
    724.9 KB · Views: 18
  • interior 2 reduced.jpg
    interior 2 reduced.jpg
    580.4 KB · Views: 18
  • interior 3 reduced.jpg
    interior 3 reduced.jpg
    612.6 KB · Views: 19
  • Exterior 3 reduced.jpg
    Exterior 3 reduced.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
My replacement GLc
Arrived on time, but with a NOX sensor blown, it happened on the delivery trip on the M1 at Bedford, so well into the journey.
Because it was in Blackburn and because I had done it successfully twice before (my R172 SLK and the R231 SL) I bought the car based on videos, photos and discussions with the sales guy

I did an inspection when it arrived and found a couple of niggles, but, the next day, the Engineer arrived to fit the Ghost II and stuck a scanner up the OBD port, then downloaded the results . . . .a safeguard against disreputable owners.
These are all being handled under warranty and it all seems to be going well . . . .fingers crossed.

It is a really nice car
Paintwork is good
Interior is good (some minor marks, but, it's 8 years old so it ain't going to be perfect and anyway, I know a man who can rectify leather interior problems, should they arise

Photos;
Lovely colour combo.👌

My replacement GLc

It is a really nice car
Paintwork is good

Photos;
Wow, cracking spec 👌🏻

Well
After 54 years of (mainly) happy, (mainly) incident free motoring, having always paid my road tax and insurance, the bastards finally got me.

My GLc was stolen off my drive, early Monday morning, along with the approx £1000 worth (yeh, surprised the hell out of me) of stuff in it.

The car was on Autotrader
Guy rang on Sunday to ask if he could come and see it.
Yes, said I.
2 Eastern European looking guys turned up . . . .tidy, polite and looking at a gullible git.
I never left them alone with the unlocked vehicle and kept a close eye on the both of them . . . . . I thought.
They cloned my key

Turns out I wasn't as attentive as I thought.
They had the car away whilst I was sleeping the sleep of the just.

Spent most of the last 5 days dealing with car insurer and my house insurer for (some of, it turns out) the contents.
I wasn't aware of this method, so thanks for highlighting it.

An update

Turns out that the rectification of the minor problems is not, after all, a minor issue.
NOX sensor replacement;
rectified under warranty

Nearside rear seat release switch In the boot inoperative;
rectified under warranty

Drivers door window switch for the N/S front passenger window not operating properly (no incremental control);
refused

Anti collision assist system inoperative;
refused

One key;
As I diligently forgot to ask the question 'One key or two?' I bit the bullet and accepted responsibility for this

Suspect front tyres
I thought they were illegal
They said otherwise
I agreed a 50/50 split for a pair of front tyres

The two parts of my claim they are refusing come to a total of £426.00
I have had all the work done at my cost

I am now 24hrs away from pushing the button on a Small Claims Court (SCC) claim for reimbursement.
If this goes ahead it increases my claim from £426.00 to £1,700.00.

Watch this space

One key;
As I diligently forgot to ask the question 'One key or two?' I bit the bullet and accepted responsibility for this
Something that occurs to me, due to the method of supply of your car.. If you are going to invest in a spare key, would it be wise to have all previous stored keys removed from the vehicle's system. ? Someone within the chain of supply could very easily have the other key as well as your address.

Something that occurs to me, due to the method of supply of your car.. If you are going to invest in a spare key, would it be wise to have all previous stored keys removed from the vehicle's system. ? Someone within the chain of supply could very easily have the other key as well as your address.
I must admit, the thought had occurred to me . . . .then, another thought struggled into my head;
I've had a Ghost immobiliser fitted to the car.
Unless a key holder knows the ignition key position and button combination, the car simply won't start.
It works
I regularly get it wrong (not thinking / in a hurry / disguising the sequence when in company) and have to start all over again.

The Ghost II may be expensive, but it works.

Further update . . . .
At the last minute, I've received an offer of reimbursement for the £188.40 cost of the OBD scan, done by the main dealer.

The supplying dealer says and I quote;
With regards to the window switch, although this was replaced the main function of this part (controlling the window to go up and down) was infact working and the fault was the touch controlled element of this product. As there was no failure to the part in ensuring it was able to function, we are unable to reimburse this cost and do also decline this along with A1. I understand this may not be the outcome you may be hoping for however we are only able to cover the costs of faults/parts that have failed to carry out the operational task they are made to do.

So, to paraphrase;
Because the window goes up and down, with no control, it's fine.

Anyway, I've refused their kind offer and given them another 7 days.
What I haven't told them that if they don't pay, the bill will be almost £2000.
My time is important and gheg are going to gave to pay for it.

I'll keep you in the loop

Further update . . . .
At the last minute, I've received an offer of reimbursement for the £188.40 cost of the OBD scan, done by the main dealer.

The supplying dealer says and I quote;
With regards to the window switch, although this was replaced the main function of this part (controlling the window to go up and down) was infact working and the fault was the touch controlled element of this product. As there was no failure to the part in ensuring it was able to function, we are unable to reimburse this cost and do also decline this along with A1. I understand this may not be the outcome you may be hoping for however we are only able to cover the costs of faults/parts that have failed to carry out the operational task they are made to do.

So, to paraphrase;
Because the window goes up and down, with no control, it's fine.

Anyway, I've refused their kind offer and given them another 7 days.
What I haven't told them that if they don't pay, the bill will be almost £2000.
My time is important and gheg are going to gave to pay for it.

I'll keep you in the loop
They must have spent hours studying 'The Big Book Of Dealership 🐂 💩 Excuses' to come up with that one.

"...we are only able to cover the costs of faults/parts that have failed to carry out the operational task they are made to do..." Fair enough; they therefore need to replace the touch control, which has failed to carry out the operational task it is made to do. Nice try, but me no buy...

Just filing a County Court Small Claims track claim only increases the potential bill for the defendant by the cost of filing the claim, and the court fee if it goes to a hearing (about £600 all-in), so there must be a lot more you intend to claim for; travelling time, presumably. I had none of that in my recent (and successful) claim, and was told that I could not claim for the time I spent compiling the claim.

Personally I would not load a claim with the cost of your own time. Reasonableness is key in the legal system, and if it looks like you are being unreasonable then it may weaken your case. Claim for reasonable costs (with receipts! and the odds are stacked in your favour (when claiming against a business).

Yep... when I was in the trade we lost two cases where we were 100% in the right. The judge just sees the little guy against the "big greedy company" and the decision is all but made. The law didn't come into it. We appealed one at a higher court.....we won and were out of the court within 10 minutes... with the owner rather poorer!

Last edited:
Personally I would not load a claim with the cost of your own time. Reasonableness is key in the legal system, and if it looks like you are being unreasonable then it may weaken your case. Claim for reasonable costs (with receipts! and the odds are stacked in your favour (when claiming against a business).

Everything except my time has receipts . . . .
I'm claiming £426 for work that I've paid for
Interest on this sum at 8% per day
Fuel; to and from main dealer and my local workshop

My time . . . . .I'm not loading anything
When I last worked, in 2018, I charged my time at £100/hr, I have receipts that show this
(And this was on the low side for professional trainers . . . . . . the usual was £1200 - £1500 a day)
If it goes to court, I will charge them for all the time I've spent driving, waiting, calling and emailing, just because they don't want to do what is right.
My time is valuable
I only have about 20 years left, I don't want to spend any of that time titting about with a 2nd hand car dealer.
So far I've spent 12 . . . .yes, 12 hours on this problem and if it goes to court, that's what they'll pay for

I really do hope that they decide to try me
I've got 6 Saturdays and a Sunday in my week
I get bored easily
Court is fun,😁😁 I've been there before.

I'll keep you posted my friend

8 percent per day ...really?

From the small claims court guide....

You are entitled to ask for Interest on the amount you are claiming, this is currently 8% per year.

8 percent per day ...really?

From the small claims court guide....

You are entitled to ask for Interest on the amount you are claiming, this is currently 8% per year.
It was late last night when I wrote that . . . as you say, 8% annual . . . .

I've been to court too; Small Claims, last August. Good luck claiming for your time per se; I don't think you can. If you had been working you could claim for lost earnings, but as you weren't, you can't.

I suspect that it will be moot anyway, and the dealer will cave in; their position is obviously untenable.

Good luck claiming for your time per se; I don't think you can.
Correct. On the small claim track you can't claim for your own time, emotional stress or consequential loss. You can claim for the costs to replace, restore or put right what was wrong if you have paid for the work to be done by someone else, and also interest at 8% pa on those costs.

The whole point of the small claims track is to keep costs of litigation to a minimum and there is a duty on both sides to attempt to reach agreement before a hearing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom