• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

If You’ve Got a New Car, It’s a Data Privacy Nightmare

NJSS

Car
2011 SL 350 Fire Opal Red|||2016 Land Rover Discovery|||1973 MGB GT V8|||1959 MGA Roadster
Extract from an article published by Gizmodo earlier this month:-

Bad news: your car is a spy. Every major car brand's new internet-connected models flunked privacy and security tests conducted by Mozilla.

If your vehicle was made in the last few years, you’re probably driving around in a data-harvesting machine that may collect personal information as sensitive as your race, weight, and sexual activity. Volkswagen’s cars reportedly know if you’re fastening your seatbelt and how hard you hit the brakes.

Mozilla found brands including BMW, Ford, Toyota, Tesla, and Subaru collect data about drivers including race, facial expressions, weight, health information, and where you drive. Some of the cars tested collected data you wouldn’t expect your car to know about, including details about sexual activity, race, and immigration status, according to Mozilla.

The worst offender was Nissan, Mozilla said. The carmaker’s privacy policy suggests the manufacturer collects information including sexual activity, health diagnosis data, and genetic data, though there’s no details about how exactly that data is gathered. Nissan reserves the right to share and sell “preferences, characteristics, psychological trends, predispositions, behavior, attitudes, intelligence, abilities, and aptitudes” to data brokers, law enforcement, and other third parties.

Other brands didn’t fare much better. Volkswagen, for example, collects your driving behaviors such as your seatbelt and braking habits and pairs that with details such as age and gender for targeted advertising. Kia’s privacy policy reserves the right to monitor your “sex life,” and Mercedes-Benz ships cars with TikTok pre-installed!

Source:- If You’ve Got a New Car, It’s a Data Privacy Nightmare

"Telematics data revealed the boot had been open and closed during this time, which, Mr Rouch said, indicated the crossbow used in the killing being placed inside the car"

Having said that, all you need do is disable the connected car services (GSM modem) and you can fly under the radar to your heart's content.

Having said that, all you need do is disable the connected car services (GSM modem) and you can fly under the radar to your heart's content.
Except that act will potentially disable mandatory functions such as the e-Call system.

I actually thinks it's good that these privacy aspects are being drawn to the attention of an unsuspecting public. The IoT has become a wild-west regarding personal privacy and the automotive sector is taking advantage of that to monetise their customer base.

Except that act will potentially disable mandatory functions such as the e-Call system.

I actually thinks it's good that these privacy aspects are being drawn to the attention of an unsuspecting public. The IoT has become a wild-west regarding personal privacy and the automotive sector is taking advantage of that to monetise their customer base.

It's mandatory to have this system in all new cars sold in the EU (and UK), but it is not mandatory to have it working after the car has been sold to the first owner - similar to Start/Stop, it is mandatory that the vehicle has this feature when the car is sold new, but it's not illegal for the car's owner to disable it if they so wish.

However, I obviously do agree that IT tech is used to collect data about us all the time. My only point is that it is not unavoidable, it's just a question of what price are you will to pay in order to avoid it (for example, using a legal 'burner' phone with PAYG simcard instead of a smartphone with a contract, etc).

My only point is that it is not unavoidable, it's just a question of what price are you will to pay in order to avoid it (for example, using a legal 'burner' phone with PAYG simcard instead of a smartphone with a contract, etc).
And my point is that to avoid the unnecessary & unwarranted data collection, the cost is the cessation of other legitimate functionality that the customer has already paid for. That is a definition of extortion.

Extract from an article published by Gizmodo earlier this month:-

Source:- If You’ve Got a New Car, It’s a Data Privacy Nightmare
A car capturing data about a sexual activity? Firstly I would love for that to be a concern.

Secondly, how the heck would it do it, a voice assistant listening for breathlessness, the gesture camera/sensor detecting movement, and suspension sensors detecting rocking?

Possible, but really? If so then thy must be a problem everywhere because voice assistants and cameras exist elsewhere too, like everywhere we take our phone.

Sounds like a VW is the manufacturer to buy a car from if I was concerned about this, because my race and weight are easily determined by everyone who has ever seen me in person or in a photo/video. And as for sexual activity, I doubt the sensors will pick up much of it in any of our cars…

…I always use the yacht for “entertaining”.

You don't get seasick then??
I time it so that the movement inside the yacht is equal and opposite to the motion of the waves, effectively cancelling out all potential for sea sickness. I’ve just had a new sticker made to put on the rear bumper of the yacht: “Don’t come knocking when the super yacht is (not) rocking

I time it so that the movement inside the yacht is equal and opposite to the motion of the waves, effectively cancelling out all potential for sea sickness. I’ve just had a new sticker made to put on the rear bumper of the yacht: “Don’t come knocking when the super yacht is (not) rocking
You clearly have had waaaaay more experience in the science than me.
Next time there's a Tsunami warning, we'll all know why.

And my point is that to avoid the unnecessary & unwarranted data collection, the cost is the cessation of other legitimate functionality that the customer has already paid for. That is a definition of extortion.

It was in the T&C.... you signed it at some point... :D

It was in the T&C.... you signed it at some point... :D

images

I don't say much in the car, unless the wife speaks and I tell her to shut up, not sure what they'd get from listening to me?

I don't say much in the car, unless the wife speaks and I tell her to shut up, not sure what they'd get from listening to me?

They'll hear nothing. This is how they'll know that you're hiding something....

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Hi , whilst I have no issue that Mercedes track my car , and yours , depending on how modern your car is.

I must go out and purchase a KIA if that car allows me to rampant sex !
Don’t bother. I hired a Kia for a weekend, it did nothing for my sex life. ;-)

I HOPE NOBODY IS POSTING THIS ON THEIR MOBILE PHONE OR "THE SPY IN YOUR POCKET " AS IT IS KNOWN. I THINK THE BOAT ON PERSONAL PRIVACY SAILED A LONG TIME AGO. :dk:

I HOPE NOBODY IS POSTING THIS ON THEIR MOBILE PHONE OR "THE SPY IN YOUR POCKET " AS IT IS KNOWN. I THINK THE BOAT ON PERSONAL PRIVACY SAILED A LONG TIME AGO. :dk:
Amen.

The car stuff is insignificant compared to what your mobile phone and laptop have been doing for more than a decade, and which they intend to do, going forward.

The only nuance is that "maybe" some of the stuff on your car is more visible to all and sundry. Your Tesla will tell its drivers exactly where its been and for how long, while your mobile phone will only give that to you, advertisers, social media, His Majesty's Government, and the occasional hacker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom