In-Car WiFi 4G Data Usage (W205)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

356speedster

Car
Mercedes Benz AMG C63S Coupe
Morning...... Random question of the day for anyone with a new('ish) MB featuring the in-car wifi, 4G data access.

I got my new 2019 C63S 13 days ago and activated the 1GB 4G free bundle about 10 days ago. Since then, I've done about 150miles (car is not used daily, 30min journey to work, when I do use it), but today received an email alert from VodaFone to say I've already used 850mb of my 1GB free bundle!

Aside from browsing a few sites from my phone when I first set it up (to see if it worked!), I've not actively used the in-car wifi. I jump in the car and put my phone on the wireless charger and do my journey, I've not done anything else. I was honestly expecting the usage to be about 100mb, at best!!

So here's the question..... to the group's knowledge, is the car using the 4G connection for it's own purposes in the background? Is the satnav, or other features using the data without me knowing it? I'm debating whether to pay for a package or not, as I don't think I'll really use it much (directly), but if the car is making use of the data, is there another benefit to me outside of the hotspot convenience, that I'm missing? Thanks all!

Cannot comment on what the MB system is doing to chew through data (but probably some diagnostics, user location data etc) but a number of apps are coded to be more active when on wifi than when on mobile data.
Google apps, and Facebook are two, but there are many others (and then there is the iOS user location services.....)
As the phone is on wifi (as far as it is concerned) they will be pinging aware happily despite the phone being dormant.

It's a peril of this connection protocol and hibernating apps is the only way I know of to stop some of the data usage

That's a fair comment, Fabes. I'd not considered that the phone might be more "active", as it's then on a wifi signal.

I wonder whether some of the MB connected services might have cut over to using the 4G paid sim (e.g. Mercedes Me, general vehicle software updates), too? Thinking this may be a gimmick, more than a need now....

Not sure what you are using the wifi setting for in the car? I thought it was so that other passengers could piggy back the connection? The car has its own connection for the NAV and MercedesMe app. I had up until the other week a 2016 W205 and never used the car wifi. The other question would be how you know its not the car. In my experience high data useage is either my other half or the kids!

I use just over a gig a day on my desktop PC which entails some heavy forum browsing, watching a few Youtube videos, so that seems rather a lot if your not doing that sort of thing. Cars are getting to clever and complicated these days Oh for a simple life

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom