Insurance interland

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

portzy

MB Enthusiast
Car
An SLK R171 with lots of toys and a Golf Plus for fishing.
As most of you know. Sadly, my Coupe will be no more in a couple of months :( but, an SLK 280 will arrive :D . The problem is, on talking to my insurers First Alternative, they appear to have never heard of the 280 (grrrr, its a 3.0ltr!!! :confused: ) and therfore cannot quote me a cost to change.

Now, realistically, I am not going to change to another engine model just to fit their schedules but what does anyone suggest?. I having never been in this unique situation before. They did suggest I ring them again at the start of July and they might have it listed!

Portzy.

I've had this problem before when I had a GWagen... a few select insurers didn't have it listed, and a few others had it listed in some "special" catagory, so they wanted a premium on top of their premium!! :crazy:

It may be that they haven't updated their lists yet, but i find that hard to believe at times.. perhaps try again and see if u can get thru to someone else who might be able to find it.. or take this chance to shop around and hope that someone will "quote you happy" :D

Sorry for the corny ending to my post :bannana:

SportsCoupeRich said:
Portzy - on the plus side i would be interested in your evo grill when you sell! presuming you want to take it off!

Have you tried churchill? they keep pretty up to date

The problem is that I am half way through an insurance year so I will have to write off all that cover won't I?.

Errrrr, I think someone may have just beat you to it with the grille, I'll let you know though.

Ooooo, you are a set mokeys out there, some days you dont talk to me and the next minute you are all my best friends ;) :D .

Portzy.

portzy said:
The problem is that I am half way through an insurance year so I will have to write off all that cover won't I?.

I've changed my cars during the insurance year without being hit by a premium ... u might want to check with your company. In some cases where i have changed insurance company, i've received a refund back from my broker for the days of cover i haven't used.

SportsCoupeRich said:

Ooooo, you are a set mokeys out there, some days you dont talk to me and the next minute you are all my best friends ;) :D .

monkeys! :bannana: :bannana: :bannana: :bannana:

what?

Yep, finger touble.

AndyW has got in before you with the grille, sorry mate. :eek:

I think I may have to take the cancellation route although I didnt want to do that if at all poss, you always tend to lose out somehow, that said, whats a hundred or so quid in amongst the bigger picture I guess. I think I will ring them again in a couple of weeks and let you all know how I go on

Portzy.

Hi Portzy,
When i had my SLK in april 97, :bannana: :bannana: :bannana: only MB insurance would recognise it, :eek:
And the same as you, i was in the middle of a term with insurance on a (keep this quiet a MONTEGO mind you it was a 2.0 GSI), :D so i had to cancel the insurance running on the Monte and take out fresh on the SLK,so as to transfer my NCB on to the SLK and insure the monte as a second car.(mind you you wont have the problem of reinsuring a 2nd car as the coupe is going) ;) I did get a refund on the monte's insurance, but it was no were near what i would have expected when you split the premiun into twelve seperate months, :mad:

So if you cannot get any insurance off First altrnative or esure etc, you can always drop back on MB insurance, :) under written by norwich union, so all is not lost only the cost of the insurance,Blinking expensive but you are fully covered. :)

Congratulations on your new motor SLK 280 sounds NICE :cool: is it a kompressor?

PAUL R said:
Hi Portzy, Congratulations on your new motor SLK 280 sounds NICE :cool: is it a kompressor?

Hello Paul.

Nope, it would seem I am about to become de-kompressed in a couple of months, its whats called in tech speak 'normally aspirated three litre'. I was, at one point, to get the 200 but the 280 chance came a calling out of the blue so I took it. Otherwise it was an indefinate wait for the 280.

Mmmm, I might just enquire with MB insurance. You would think THEY would have heard of their OWN model of car, wouldnt you?.

Portzy.

Hi dave when I got my 350 most of the insurance firms could not quote but esure based it on the 320 and that remained. Its getting closer.

gary

gary350 said:
Hi dave when I got my 350 most of the insurance firms could not quote but esure based it on the 320 and that remained. Its getting closer.

gary

Hello Gary.

I was thinking of telling them it was a 350 then letting it all flutter down in the passing of time. The 'spread' between the 200 and 350 is £66.00 so I have an idea of where it should end up. I dont suppose it is fraud because I would be nominating a higher performance car which is not what you would do if you were out to cheat. Then, when the penny drops, it would be a case of "Oooops, sorry, must have been having a senior moment".

Eleven weeks by my reckoning when the sheep on Ilkley Moor need to take cover :eek: . The long term forecast is for a good summer too :D

Hi Dave,
Just another thought, try www.confused.com they seem to have a lot of options as far as insurance is concered.car,house, etc.

Paul

Result!

Hey!, my insurance company has recognised the SLK 280. Booo, they see it the same as the 350, group 18A. Hey!, I just hit 50 so its cheaper than a 200 would have been. So, result then.

A couple of things spring to mind though. There is an option to extend the audio cover from £1000 to £1750, I will have comand in the new one, is it worth it?, the cover I mean, not comand!.

Legal expenses cover?. With all the claims chasers around these days is that worth it?. A friend of mine pointed out that this type of cover is handy if some low life walks into your car on purpose and then claims you 'hit' them. I never thought of that one.

Portzy.

Some good news there then!!

legal cover - for what it costs it's well worth doing as it usually covers for other non-car related issues too. We used ours over a boundary issue with the neighbours - got a half hour chat with a solicitor for free through it.

Upping the audio system cover. For me it would prob come down to what they were going to sting me for it. Realistically - is anyone going to pinch a Comand system? Probably not - but if you lost the car in total, heaven forbid, then what would they pay out? Would they pay for the basic 280 with your mods as covered by the policy and therefore exclude Comand or would they cover Comand in full? :crazy:

Bottom line - brand new shiny toy, cost lots of dosh - is it worth quibbling for a few extra quid for the full peace of mind? I'd go for the cover that would cover it all in the event of a total loss.

portzy said:
Hey!, my insurance company has recognised the SLK 280. Booo, they see it the same as the 350, group 18A. Hey!, I just hit 50 so its cheaper than a 200 would have been. So, result then.

A couple of things spring to mind though. There is an option to extend the audio cover from £1000 to £1750, I will have comand in the new one, is it worth it?, the cover I mean, not comand!.

Legal expenses cover?. With all the claims chasers around these days is that worth it?. A friend of mine pointed out that this type of cover is handy if some low life walks into your car on purpose and then claims you 'hit' them. I never thought of that one.

Portzy.

Mercedes insurance offer unlimited cover for OEM ice.

pammy said:
Bottom line - brand new shiny toy, cost lots of dosh - is it worth quibbling for a few extra quid for the full peace of mind? I'd go for the cover that would cover it all in the event of a total loss.

'Nuff said. The lad I work with expanded a lot more after I posted as well about the legal side. Yep, ships, tar, spoiling and brushes spring to mind.

Portzy.

Are we being to get excited or what. Morning Dave. Oh one other thing when you pick up your car ask for a special cleaning cloth for the upper dash/doors, its free, just spoken to MBUK and they said they have made this cloth available to dealers when customers say they have a problem cleaning those areas, most good dealers are posting them on to SLK owners, my dealer you guessed it "what cloth we no nothing about a cloth"

gary

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom