• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Is anyone on here into Vinyl?

chesterpiglet

Car
Mercedes W211 E280 Cdi Sport Estate
Hi all.
I think I read a thread once that intimated some members are into vinyl.
We all have our tastes & opinions about the cars we drive & in my brief experience playing vinyl records is much the same. Are you AMG or Phillips? Having given away all my records in 2001 when I moved & believed that CD's are the mode for the future, I now wished I had just put them in a box in the loft given the price of some I have tried to replace. I stumbled back into it by chance over here as for some reason I started buying old 1960/70's amps & decks. I was mainly buying Thorens & Lenco decks for just a few Euros but never hooked any of them up(principally because I didn't have anything to play).
I finally bought a Sony system from the 1970's & connected it to a pair of B&O speakers & to my amazement it worked & sounded great. When I say great I mean great & nothing like a CD or download. It isn't just the sound IMHO but the whole experience of looking at the cover graphics, pulling the record out of the sleeve, putting it on the turntable & cleaning it before lowering the arm carefully so it doesn't miss the record & of course that wonderful crackle- I had totally forgotten what it was like . It is a bit of a pain to keep getting up if you aren't listening to a Greatest Hits Album or only want to listen to one track. I think my system looks fab- all brushed aluminium with illuminated meters etc & of course the strobe on the platter. I must confess to being mesmerized by it once more. I think my system sounds great but then a real purist would probaly think it is awful. People spend £1,000's searching for the perfect sound. I found a very good quality cartridge at a Brocante & tried it but it didn't sound any different to me.
The 1st record I played was Blondie Parallel Lines.
IMG_5642.JPG IMG_5645.JPG IMG_5649.JPG IMG_5651.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5651.JPG
    IMG_5651.JPG
    504.9 KB · Views: 3
I think that any reproduction medium that gets people fired up to become involved in the musical experience rather than just "hearing something play" is a real positive. There's a great deal of emotional energy that goes into making music and to treat it as disposable is, imo, disrespectful.

I've never relinquished my vinyl collection and still enjoy playing it on my Linn LP12. I also enjoy listening to the streamed FLAC copies of my CD's that now reside on a NAS - which is super convenient - but there's nothing like the ritual of carefully removing an LP from it's sleeve, spinning it up on the turntable, giving if a gentle clean if necessary, and then lowering the stylus into the groove before settling back to listen.

Phil it was like going back in time..............something so familiar that I had totally forgotten along with many others I guess. I think you probably never forgot if you never sold your collection. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but why did I give them all away? So with a Linn LP12 you are definitely AMG.....

Still got my collection of vinyl records dating back to 1963:eek: although I haven't bought any more since CDs became more popular in the late 90's.
Stupidly gave all my singles from 1960 > to my brother who dumped them in a skip:wallbash:
Got a few albums that are probably worth a few quid although the equipment used to play them back them was rubbish.
Had a Thorens deck, Technics amp and tuner with B&W speakers that was the dogs danglies. Sold it all. What a mug!

Still got my vinyl. First album was Moving Waves by Focus, bought for a quid off a friend. My old Pioneer PL112D is in the loft. Don't have a 'proper' amp and speakers anymore. Bought a phono preamplifier last year with view hooking it up to a mixer and then into the computer, but haven't got around to it yet.

Back in the day a couple of mates had very good systems. Both had Linn LP12 turntables, one had Exposure amps and Linn Isobarik DMS speakers, the other had a Naim amp with Linn Isobaric Sara speakers. Each system sounded pretty epic, but were way outside of my budget. Did some comparisons with CDs and LPs at the time and vinyl always sounded 'better' and more 'musical'.

I've got a Sony Deck running into my computer, enable me to put my collection onto the computer and listen to the vinyl as it is being recorded. Gave up with amps and things when my last set of valves blew :D

I still have vinyl but it's in the shed and will probably stay there as it's all scratched from too many parties.

However, last month I finally decided that my amp and speakers just weren't all that I thought that they should be, it's not top of the range kit but reasonable. My issue was a slightly tinny sound which even on 11 didn't scare the neighbours.

I asked the question on here some weeks ago and a better DAC was suggested and I may well follow this route in the future.

In the meantime I bought myself a sub woofer, I like to feel the bass. This has made me very happy, digital music does sound a bit processed to my ears so the extra bass is very welcome.

It's a Wharfdale and bigger than expected, the Mrs thinks it looks hideous but it's in my office and my clients won't care unless I crank it up.

Last edited by a moderator:
I still have some 1970 and 1980s albums, never thought they would have value?

I have a NAD 3020 amp, B&O 2202 automatic deck with a MMC-20E stylus and JVC KD33B cassette deck and Marantz tuner all gathering dust as wife would never let me use them.

If any enthusiasts are interested let me know. It all sounded great when I was a teenager, to my shock I just saw the cartridge advertised at €430!

Do you think they are worth an ebay for say £150?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

As above (Benzowner)

Have ripped all mine onto HDD, but kept the deck and the Vinyl is in the attic

Actually gave a rare Smiths 12 inch of This charming man to my daughter's (music student) boyfriend for his birthday as he has got into them, thought he had most form downloads and was getting albums and being 'cool' but has now learnt that there is a world of 12 singles and rare import remixes to explore.
It's getting played in his circle of friends which is better than it sitting in a box for the next X years........

Used to enjoy vinyl but all in the loft now. Fully digital set up and suits me and us as a family. Got a handful of HomePods (don’t hate me :)) set up around the house and can play anything in any room or all) in an instant.

I totally get the passion for vinyl but it’s not for me.

Used to enjoy vinyl but all in the loft now. Fully digital set up and suits me and us as a family. Got a handful of HomePods (don’t hate me :)) set up around the house and can play anything in any room or all) in an instant.

I totally get the passion for vinyl but it’s not for me.
I had to Google a HomePod, holy moley, £280 each!

What do they sound like?

I had to Google a HomePod, holy moley, £280 each!

What do they sound like?

we never buy new. Just A+ Refurbed ones from Music Magpie. It’s a heavy item and best sounding thing I’ve heard. The Bass is truly astonishing for its size. (So you’d love it :)) Daughter’s fav artist Billie Eilish sounds awesome because of the bass content of her tunes.

Aside from its music capabilities it obviously integrates with all our Apple stuff and you can make/take phone calls on them, message anyone in your contacts, or generally ask ‘Siri’ anything just like you can Alexa.

I’m sure they’ll be things about the HomePods people don’t like but as said, the setup suits us perfectly.

(apologies to OP for going off topic. o_O)

we never buy new. Just A+ Refurbed ones from Music Magpie. It’s a heavy item and best sounding thing I’ve heard. The Bass is truly astonishing for its size. (So you’d love it :)) Daughter’s fav artist Billie Eilish sounds awesome because of the bass content of her tunes.

Aside from its music capabilities it obviously integrates with all our Apple stuff and you can make/take phone calls on them, message anyone in your contacts, or generally ask ‘Siri’ anything just like you can Alexa.

I’m sure they’ll be things about the HomePods people don’t like but as said, the setup suits us perfectly.

(apologies to OP for going off topic. o_O)
The Mrs and I are both Iphone users now but I haven't got the balls to suggest new speakers at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom