Is servicing important to you?

How important is service history on a second hand car?

• Dealer history only no matter the car.

Votes: 6 9.2%
  • Dealer or indy as long as it's full no matter the car.

Votes: 39 60.0%
  • Dealer if its a high end/complex car.

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Service history not important once car is older.

Votes: 13 20.0%

• Total voters

MB Enthusiast
Car
2009 W204 C180K
Although Bangernomics still makes a case for buying a £1000 vehicle and deliberately not spending anything on it, until it's scrapped. (The "Dog's car," for example)

You are joking of course - if that is the dogs car. Those W124 estates are a national treasure.

I recently heard of a relatively low mileage Range Rover that needs a new replacement engine because the oil wasn't change for 15,000 miles. The reason for missing the service was lock down which is fair enough but a diy oil change could have been done for £20. Using the 20L container of genuine MB oil I bought a few years back for £48 I'm changing mine at £15 a time.

MB Enthusiast
Car
2009 W204 C180K
There must be something more to the story.

It's my brother in laws car and all I know is the crank was wrecked. The good news is the supplying dealer is paying 70% of the cost to fit a new engine. I don't understand why 15,000 mile oil should wreck an engine, it might gum it up a bit if the additives were depleted but only oil starvation should have wrecked the crank. Perhaps that's why the dealer is paying 70%. Do Range Rover diesels have a bad reputation for reliability ?

God knows what a new engine costs, I guess it will be 30% of 5 figure sum. I don't suppose dealers entertain the idea of re-building an engine these days. I once had a crank re-ground with with new bearing shells and a conrod face and re-bore all for £25, Mind that was 1985.

MikeInWimbledon

MB Enthusiast
Car
2013 CL500 Previously S212 E500, W211 E500 5.5, E350 S500, S211 E500, SL350, SL500, S500, E55
You are joking of course - if that is the dogs car. Those W124 estates are a national treasure.
S124’s were once as worthless an S210’s are now, which is how an S210 can end up as the family dog’s car, or the gardening van.

Point remains: not every car “has” to be maintained to new standard, scrapped at nine years old as being uneconomic to maintain at a main dealer.

geoffus

Car
E250 AMG Sport Convertible, B200, Yamaha YZF R1.
Ahhhh, thank you. So from the bulletin it doesn’t appear to be directly as a consequence of a slightly late oil change.
That's a relief, might still leave my oil change for bit longer then.

Spider10

Car
c63 amg
It's my brother in laws car and all I know is the crank was wrecked. The good news is the supplying dealer is paying 70% of the cost to fit a new engine. I don't understand why 15,000 mile oil should wreck an engine, it might gum it up a bit if the additives were depleted but only oil starvation should have wrecked the crank. Perhaps that's why the dealer is paying 70%. Do Range Rover diesels have a bad reputation for reliability ?

God knows what a new engine costs, I guess it will be 30% of 5 figure sum. I don't suppose dealers entertain the idea of re-building an engine these days. I once had a crank re-ground with with new bearing shells and a conrod face and re-bore all for £25, Mind that was 1985.
Jaguar Land rover will not sell parts to rebuild the bottom end its always a new engine the engines were absolute garbage 2.7 the later 3.0 was not much better in the disco-Rrs same thing you will find out its nothing to do with not servicing it

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom