Issues After Car Wash

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

amzuf

Car
CLA
Hi guys,

I have a cla 220 amg 2014.
The car runs fine and has had no issues prior to me posting the faylt below.
This morning I cleaned the car clean using a jet wash which in hindsight was a bad idea. 
As soon as I had finished the jet wash and took the car out I started getting warning lights coming up on the dash.
3 in total as below.
Abs & traction control unavailable in yellow
Pre safe functions limited in yellow
Parking brake in red

I took it for a drive thinking it may dry out however the lights have stayed on, the car drives fine however the steering has gone very stiff went travelling at slow speeds & parking up.
I have ran a diagnostic and have found the below faults,
Transmission control - An implausible right rear wheel speed signal was received
Electrical Parking Brake - this control unit has a malfunction - the system function is restricted
Electronic Power Steering - communication with esp has a malfunction
Electronic Stability Program - rear right axle rpm sensor has a mechanical fault

I am not sure what to do will be taking it to the garage tomorrow morning to have a look, hoping whatever the issue is it has dried out and faults would disappear miraculously tomorrow morning

Any advice or information will be highly appreciated

Seems that the right rear wheel speed sensor has malfunctioned due to the water, which in turn means that the electronic parking brake can no longer ensure that the wheel isn't turning so it is having a hissy fit. Likewise, the ESP module can't do its job properly without that speed signal so it is grumpy, and hence the power steering module is unable to have a meaningful conversation with it.

So once the right rear speed sensor is fixed, the ESP, parking brake and steering issues should go away by themselves. Certainly I'd get the speed sensor sorted out before getting anyone to start prodding around the other modules.

There is a good chance you have accidentally forced water into the speed sensor connector. If it is the case then a disassembly of the connectors and a dry out should sort it.

Hello and welcome . Sorry to hear of your problem . Just let me say one thing that might cause me all sorts of $hit on here.

I for one can never see any reason to pressure/jet wash any car that spends it's life tootling around on UK roads . I have a petrol and an electric pressure washer both dedicated to the cleaning of off road motorcycles and plant.

Underside of the car in controlled conditions in the depth of winter ? maybe . Generally used to clean the bodywork ? Never.

I've also never understood the point of a high power jetwash to wash a car but lots of people seem to use them.

Been using karcher pressure washers on all my cars for years with zero issues.. usually use a pre wash then a snow foam, rinse, shampoo then rinse again..

The wife’s car had a similar problem to yours, very similar symptoms especially the heavy power steering, we changed the ABS sensor as is the normal culprit, but turned out to be the wheel bearing.
The wheel bearing on our car has a magnetic seal, the sensor picks up the wheel rotation from the bearing.
The jet wash may be coincidental.

Hello and welcome . Sorry to hear of your problem . Just let me say one thing that might cause me all sorts of $hit on here.

I for one can never see any reason to pressure/jet wash any car that spends it's life tootling around on UK roads . I have a petrol and an electric pressure washer both dedicated to the cleaning of off road motorcycles and plant.

Underside of the car in controlled conditions in the depth of winter ? maybe . Generally used to clean the bodywork ? Never.
I think it depends on the type of washer, the pressure used and skill of the person using it.

I use a fairly lowly model of Karcher and don't have amazing water pressure, but I still keep my distance from the body and wheels - done it for years and only ever had one problem, which was my own fault for using an oscillating nozzle at point blank range and managed to strip a load of lacquer from the bumper of the car I had at the time.

Would I use a garage forecourt jet wash or let a clown at a car wash loose on it? - No.

I use it for making the car wet and rinsing.......but mainly for under the wheel arches and underneath. The connectors should be able to keep the water out from the jet wash.....not much difference to a hundred mph blast on the autobahn in the rain! Never had an issue using a jet wash like that on any car I've owned.

So what was the pressure washer for if you pre washed the car , snow foamed it , shampooed and rinse ?
I apply a Pre wash first which is usually a product like a traffic film remover applied via a pump sprayer.. then I use the pw to loosen dirt, apply snow foam via the snow foam lance which is attached to the pw, let it dwell then use the pw to rinse off.. shampoo by hand then final rinse with pw, finish with a coating of wax or application of a quick detailer :cool:

Most dealerships use jet washers when cleaning customer's cars. General recommendations are to keep pressure below 2000psi and use a wide angle nozzle. Commercial washers have a much higher flowrate so clean more quickly(even at lower pressures) than diy models

I apply a Pre wash first which is usually a product like a traffic film remover applied via a pump sprayer.. then I use the pw to loosen dirt, apply snow foam via the snow foam lance which is attached to the pw, let it dwell then use the pw to rinse off.. shampoo by hand then final rinse with pw, finish with a coating of wax or application of a quick detailer :cool:
You lost me after 'pre wash' :). It's one of the reasons I try to stay off the 'detailing' section of this forum. Believe me , I have been there with the almost OCD detailing life on my road bikes to the point of removing sprocket and chain covers , fairings etc and cleaning underneath them. Places where no one will ever see , so I get it . It's just I gave it all up for an easy life.

I also notice on your profile that your car is black , even more work to keep it shiny . All the best , and go easy with the Karcher 👍;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom