• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

It’s all downhill from here. Battery Gremlin?

brucemillar

MB Enthusiast
Car
C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
Friends

Car: 2004 W203 C55 Estate.

This needs fixing please.

Every few weeks I have to attend a hospital outpatients appointments that lasts, just over an hour, max = 90 minutes. For some reason this encourages me to use my C55 AMG (other cars are available) but it is what it is and that is: a 10 mile fairly quiet run (mixed motorway and town). I mention this but please be aware that the car does similar runs without the Parking Space routine (that follows here)

A few trips ago I returned to my car to find the starter straining to the point it would not start the engine. One or two lazy cranks then just clicks from the starter AKA dead battery clicks.

So I get recovered home using my breakdown cover and suffer the glares and questions from my wife and daughters.

I find no issue with the car or battery, apart from the battery is now sat at 0.8vdc. 48 hours connected to my maintenance charger and all is good again. Car starts on the button, voltages are holding at the correct levels and the family look lovingly and proudly at their very smart ****d Dad.

Next outpatient appointment (three weeks later) during which time the car has behaved impeccably and the incident has been forgotten until,? I return to my car, which by coincidence is parked in the next bay (same attitude) to my previous fated trip.

You guessed it. The bloody thing does it again, no start, just a few lazy cranks then nothing. Dead.

Being head of “the International smarty pants brigade” I have left my trusty battery booster in the boot and my cigarette lighter volt meter in the dash. I am like a well trained Boy Scout all primed with nowhere to go. Checking voltage on attempted start up, reveals it to be back down at 0.8vdc.

Car starts first time on the booster.

Yesterday, after a few stressful weeks of trying not to think about cars (never easy in my house, I’m back at the hospital again in almost the same parking space (a message here, me thinks). However I have returned just short of the hour (around 50 minutes) since parking up.

Yes, you guessed correctly again. Car does lazy a crank, but this time it catches on it’s dying breath and fires into life. Had I returned on or, over the hour, I’m sure it would have failed to crank again.

So what does this tell us? Apart from I’m an idiot, who should not be allowed out in Public Car Parks.

* Well, the car never fails to fire or start or , turn over at any other point in time / location that I’m aware off. It is really truthfully a good starter on the first turn every time.

* When it does fail, it’s in that same spot/ attitude. That is: Parked facing slightly downhill, in ‘P’ with the lights off and the doors locked. No evidence to suggest the alarm has triggered. The same way I would park every other time I leave it anywhere.

* The car can and has sat for, up to, four weeks between failures, with no problems.

The only common factor I can think of is location and downhill angle.

So far, between failures I have checked:

The battery and alternator output voltages using a meter and a cigarette lighter gauge. Nothing untoward here.

Checked the battery is tightly clamped and not able to move about.

Checked the earth straps are tight, clean and not damaged.

Battery was replaced 18 months ago with a good ECP one and gives no other symptoms apart from lazy cranking (as above)

I’m now thinking about parking facing downhill (at home) to see if I can replicate the problem. Even if I manage this, what does it tell me that I don’t already know, apart from it’s not unique to the hospital car park.

Has anybody out there had anything like this happen to them?

Where to start looking for an issue. I’m loathed to chuck another new battery into the mix but know that maybe my only option.

Many thanks for looking

Bruce

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Bruce,
How old is the Starter Motor on this car? Lazy starting just can be an old worn out starter motor and whilst giving it a blast with a freshly charged battery to provide a few more Amps up its jacksie, its not enough to keep it turning over under normal load situations. Do you have a spare one laying around or could borrow one, as replacing a starter is no cheap option these days.
The lateral thinking behind the parking downhill scenario is, if the bearings and armature are worn it could be sliding down by a few thou and not getting a good contact on the brushes at the optimal point.
I have an old half shaft laying about that I used to use for knocking the clutches off of Minis which is useful for giving a lazy starter motor a clout. ( If in doubt, give it a clout !)

Steve.

Sounds like a battery drain issue as your car fires up every time, either on full charge or on the booster.

Something significant is draining the battery within the short time that you are parked up.

If the battery really was down to 0.8V, then the starter motor is out of the equation unless, for some reason, it's being constantly energised and you'd soon know about that. Find a reputable auto electrician and ask them to load test the battery - my feelings are that it's on its way out.

While a dodgy starter motor armature/brushes would explain a reluctance to start , it doesn't explain a flat battery- which implies an intermittant drain somewhere- however if you factor in a sticky pre-engaging solenoid mechanism that might explain both reluctance to start and current drain down to car attitude--- so does point maybe to a starter motor solenoid problem. I used to have one that leaked allowing moisture to get in so it used to freeze in very cold weather- solved by the short term expedient of pouring hot water on it- which of course did nothing for the problem in the long term! After removing the starter a couple of times and drying out,lubricating and resealing the solenoid mechanism [ I WAS A LOT YOUNGER THEN] I finally purchased a reconned starter unit and my problem disappeared1

Last edited:
This sounds like an interesting one to play with. Given that Bruce has been through the basic bits, deeper investigation is needed in that the problem seems endemic to the hospital car park a process of elimination could be the way forward. Starting with the obvious one, park in different spot with the car nose up. Rapid discharge sounds like something not shutting down on locking the car, checking for a hot relay may give some indication as to where the fault lies, if the battery is dropping to 0.8v in under an hour something must be getting very warm.

If the battery really was down to 0.8V, then the starter motor is out of the equation unless, for some reason, it's being constantly energised and you'd soon know about that. Find a reputable auto electrician and ask them to load test the battery - my feelings are that it's on its way out.

Whoops. I should have typed 8.0 VDC

PLONKER IF THE WEEK AWARD FOR ME.

My thought would be to check the voltage before starting the car. If it's normal but the car still struggles to start and the voltage drops to 8v then I'd suspect the starter motor or start circuit, if it's already at 8v then it'll be some other system than the start, it'll at least narrow the search a little.

The alarm sounder behind the left front wheel could be the culprit. It can be disconnected with a bit of fiddling around just to eliminate it. Turn steering hard left , pop out as much wheel cover as you can , undo the cover and disconnect the sounder.

The symptoms you describe happened to a W203 C class of the same vintage owned by someone I know . The car could be left unlocked in the garage for weeks on end with no problem...lock it overnight and next morning... flat battery.

We removed the alarm sender and the fault went with it....worth a try.

On starting the battery voltage will drop, 10 volts or even a bit lower isn't unusual. But it will recover when the starter is disengaged soon enough. Your plug in volt meter will show this.
Can you disable the alarm when locking, that is the movement and tow tilt functions? It could be a start point of diagnosis.

Bruce,
How old is the Starter Motor on this car? Lazy starting just can be an old worn out starter motor and whilst giving it a blast with a freshly charged battery to provide a few more Amps up its jacksie, its not enough to keep it turning over under normal load situations. Do you have a spare one laying around or could borrow one, as replacing a starter is no cheap option these days.
The lateral thinking behind the parking downhill scenario is, if the bearings and armature are worn it could be sliding down by a few thou and not getting a good contact on the brushes at the optimal point.
I have an old half shaft laying about that I used to use for knocking the clutches off of Minis which is useful for giving a lazy starter motor a clout. ( If in doubt, give it a clout !)

Steve.

Steve.

That’s a good call. I may try Parkin at home with the nose down (oooh errr) let’s see if that nose down invokes the issue?

If yes? I can hopefully give it a thump on the starter with my trusty thumpometer.

That would hopefully dislodge any sticking on the starter innards.

In my mind, nose down is the clue here as it has not, that I’m aware off done this parked in any other way.

Back in the day. I was involved in diagnosing a VAX mainframe that crashed at roughly the same times each day.

That was caused by an American Warship moored on the Thames. As tide came in, warships radar mast rose up past line of sight of the windows and the computer crashed. Happy times.

The alarm sounder sounds very plausible, the usual culprits of battery, alternator or starter are out IMHO, if it's not the AS then it's something else of that ilk.

Can anything damp or otherwise get near the positive on the battery esp if on an incline that previously was more secure or not there ?

I assume that an C55 has a big battery so we are somewhere in the ball park of a 1kWh discharge depending on the health of the battery. That ought to be making something quite hot not least the battery itself.

Does the alarm still sound when triggered Bruce? o_O The interior motion and tilt sensors are housed in that overhead console thingy beside the rear view mirror I believe?? They can be disarmed[ for ferry crossings etc ] with the key or maybe dash switches. My money is still on a dodgy starter because of the high current parasitic drain needed to flatten the battery so quickly.:dk:

Whoops. I should have typed 8.0 VDC

PLONKER IF THE WEEK AWARD FOR ME.

Dear Plonker :D Worse mistakes have happened. Even if it's 8.0V, that's a big drain in a short space of time. As others have said, something ought to be getting warm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom