• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

looked at new c class today

Mr B.

Car
c 200 sport
went to go look at a new c class today and found out i can only get the c180 with a 1.6 in it in a manual , cause i want a petrol , I cant get a 250 or a 350 in a manual:eek:, wasnt happy

Yup, seems to be the way they are going.

Salesman I dealt with explained that there is so little demand for manuals it wasn't making any sense keeping them in the range.

The 'C' range is already a bit thin on choice, so I don't see this does MB any favours.

I'm surprised it hasn't been done before to be honest....surely manual Merc's are hammered on the secondhand market...??

i prefer a manual to a auto , so it looks like illl just put some more cash into my car and have her look mint by time im done

I see where you're coming from, as I like manual changes too - but the auto boxes seem to suit the Mercs well and I don't miss my manual now.

I got a c250 cdi manual and the manual box is really good. Very precise and perfectly weighted. This is coming from a BMW which was still good but much heavier.

IMHO putting a manual box in an MB saloon or coupe is like putting tomato ketchup on a Chateubriand steak! The flappy paddles in my C give me all the control I need, just like all the F1 cars. But most of the time I'm more than happy to let the computer thingy decide which of the 7 sets of cogs to choose. Why have manual when you can have the best of both worlds?

Have to agree auto all the way in a Merc,

Manual will be slower, more phaffing, worth less,

Cannot really see a benifit in a road car.

Up until recently I had a manual (Alfa GT) and a separate auto (ML) and enjoyed driving both for different reasons and in different styles. The manual gives you more connection to the car. My ML has paddles/ buttons to change gear but they're next to useless.

My new C Coupe has paddles and they are great to use, but not the same as a proper manual. In truth, the auto is so good (in Sport), that I can't see me using the paddles that much at all.

Would never buy an auto compromises car control too much, swmbo Audi is 400bhp auto with paddles and its not the same as a manual i get more enjoyment out of my daughters 1.3 fiat punto. Thats why i bought the volvo no equivalent power MB in manual. Another reason the audi is going swmbo has realised its no fun or driving experience with a luxobarge when you are a petrolhead:D

^ so we are not petrolheads having autos..

Almost all of the high performance cars nowadays are auto, GTR's Lambos, Ferrari, Porsche

?

I guess it's all a matter of personal choice but I have always preferred manuals. I'm sorry to hear that MB is reducing manual availability still further but as I'm planning on keeping my c250 for a few years, the resale question is less significant for me (maybe it will work the other way round because of scarcity value)

The C350 petrol is no longer available in the saloon or estate even with an auto box afaik.

Still firmly available as a coupe though, will be ordering new one soon! :bannana:

Paddles for manual change are good. Not perfect but good, although as said on here by others, auto box is fab particularly in sport mode.

I guess it's all a matter of personal choice but I have always preferred manuals. I'm sorry to hear that MB is reducing manual availability still further but as I'm planning on keeping my c250 for a few years, the resale question is less significant for me (maybe it will work the other way round because of scarcity value)

I agree with that. I don't mind the paddle but I hate the fully automatic box. If I had a modern auto, I will use it on manual mode 95% of the time.
I keep my cars for 7-8 years so resale value is not that important for me. On the other hand, the 250CDI manual I bought was 2-3k cheaper because it was a manual so that made my decision easier.

I don't agree with Ian F, an automatic if you can overide is plenty fun but I love his no nonsense post :D
Steve, it's good to know you don't agree with Ian F. If I had a clue who he was, I may or may not agree also. Are all you long time regulars trying to make us newbies feel out of it by using real names? :confused: I'm seeing this happen more and more in various threads. Can we stick with user names unless like you, you show your real name in your signature. Thanks :thumb:

Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom