Lubricate And Check The Emergency Door And Boot Locks!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chrishazle

MB Enthusiast
Car
2008 S204 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 facelift SLK280 Auto.
Many including me overlook this normally unused feature, but ATM, when many cars are seeing far less use than normal, it's important to check that the emergency key will open the drivers door and, if applicable, the boot.

I got caught out myself about 3 weeks ago when the battery was so flat none of the key buttons did anything, and it took a little lubrication and persuasion for the emergency key to open the drivers door so I could open the bonnet and access the emergency +ve with my battery charger. My battery is in the boot (S204) and the emergency tailgate release is on the inside of the tailgate so awkward to get to, luckily once the charger was on we were able to electrically release the tailgate to get at the battery.

We have a current poster with the problem of a very flat battery and the emergency key not wanting to unlock the door, he's not the first as I've seen this type of post quite a few times on this forum and t'other side over the years, and I remember a tip posted by Television many years ago about using a cordless toothbrush as a vibrator on the emergency key to get WD40 or similar into the mechanism!

Purchased my car new in 2016 and have never tried the key but thanks to this post I have just been out to check.

Thanks for the heads up.

Robin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom