• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

MB changed all coolant to RED type

IFFY100

Car
Cls 350 cdi 2010 grand edition
First and foremost, is it the case that MB have discontinued the blue type coolant? This being the case I will need to flush the system om642 engine. I have truied to locate the block drain plug but could not find it on the engine - some direction please. And please advise what is the best way to attack this task? Thank you.

I've got red, well more like pink in my car
My car is a gle, we bought it brand new in 2016 and the coolant has never been changed and the car has 8 MB service stamps

The blue-green coolant is MB 325.0, I don't know if MB stopped making it, but it's certainly still widely available from many sources including on eBay.

I'd keep an eye on this thread and change that coolant buddy.

Also, if your car is 2010, it won't be due a coolant change until next year (unless it covered 150,000 miles by now)

The blue-green coolant is MB 325.0, I don't know if MB stopped making it, but it's certainly still widely available from many sources including on eBay.
I think in that case I will try and get a hold of the blue stuff and stick to that for as long as poss. Where you getting your coolant from?

I change every 2 years regardless

Do you check the effectiveness of the coolant before changing?
In my view, MB work-shops would want to change everyone's coolant at 2 years
as it makes them loads of money but they don't and there must be a good reason behind that.

I change every 2 years regardless
Wow, your cars must be incredibly well maintained. I’ve known people do all sorts of service work before it’s due but never really coolant, and never so frequently.

A main dealer told me that they almost never perform coolant changes as part of a service, on the rare occasion that they do it’s part of a repair to the cooling system.

It's well maintained for sure. I have a Ramp and a garage full of tools so it costs nothing and takes very little time.

I have only ever changed the coolant on any of my MBs as part of a maintenance operation.
A couple of years ago, I did a partial change when I needed to fix a weeping pipe joint.
I've never had any problems.
I've only ever used blue anti-freeze - Always diluted to 50% strength.
Occasionally I check the specific gravity to check that it's around the correct SG.

The recommended engine coolant change interval for MB cars is 15 years or 150,000 miles, whichever comes first.

(There's a school-of-thought that says that you should not change the engine coolant too frequently, BTW, the argument being that excessive coolant changes cause the accumulation of sediment and corrosion - I have no opinion of my own, I just get the coolant changed on all my cars according to the manufacturer's recommended schedule)

The recommended engine coolant change interval for MB cars is 15 years or 150,000 miles, whichever comes first.

(There's a school-of-thought that says that you should not change the engine coolant too frequently, BTW, the argument being that excessive coolant changes cause the accumulation of sediment and corrosion - I have no opinion of my own, I just get the coolant changed on all my cars according to the manufacturer's recommended schedule)
Strangely the interval for last ICE Smart is 6 years, presumably because it’s built by Renault. I had it replaced last week in ours by the main dealer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom