• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

MB E250 CDi AMG Saloon Tyres Sizes Conundrum

Winter tyres are often specced with a different size (width and/or diameter and/or profile) to 'std.', however, there will sometimes be a lower recommended max speed if winter tyres fitted (can be set in the speed-limiter). The narrow tyres are specced for 'better cutting into snow and/or suspension/steering clearance for the fitting of chains.

I'd also be wary that changing the size to a non-standard one might (but might not) be an issue for some ins. companies. There is, no doubt, a specific reason that MB specify a narrower rear tyre (and possibly wheel) on the rear of the estate and if it was mine, I'd simply stick with the specified tyre sizes.

I've got a w212 E350 CDI 2012 variety, and I have staggered 9J and 8.5J width alloys for summer and the two different tyre sizes (wider at rear) when running the summer (standard) 18" alloys.
I have also purchased a set of alloys for winter use, which use the same 8.5J alloy width all round, and therefore all 4 tyres are the same only when I'm running my 'winter' alloys with the winter tyres.
The winter set are genuine Mercedes alloys. Insurance is aware I run winter tyres and different alloys (albeit genuine Mercedes factory option) for some of the year.

However, how do we reconcile the relevance of the width of the wheels (9J at rear vs. 8.5J at the front) with the fact that Mercedes suggests all 4 tyres the same size (245/40/R18) is acceptable for Winter tyres?
The key question is: Are 245/40/R18 tyres all round on staggered rims an "approved fitment" for other than winter tyres? Without studying the fitment charts in detail, my gut feel is that the answer to that question is "no". Why is it the "key" question? Because most insurance companies will baulk at non-approved wheel / tyre size combinations if not disclosed, and either charge an additional premium for a "modification" or refuse cover altogether if it is disclosed.

As mentioned in posts above, winter tyres often have a reduced maximum speed constraint, and running narrower tyres on the wider rims leave the rim edges more open to kerbing damage.

If you want to run a "square" wheel & tyre setup on the car you need to consult the manual for the relevant wheel width and offset and what tyre width and aspect ratio is approved, then pony-up for a set of wheels and tyres.

All in all, it's easier (and probably cheaper) to run the staggered tyre sizes.

Keeping to the letter of Mercedes approved sizes for the Mercedes-Benz E-Class 2013 E 250 CDi [W212 Facelift], rear axle:

Example 1: Summer Tyre

BRIDGESTONE Turanza 6
265/35 R18 97Y
Break in Wet Class: A
Fuel Save Class: B
Price: £206.99

Example 2: All-Season Tyre

MICHELIN CrossClimate 2 (only one available in several online retailers)
265/35 R18 97Y
Break in Wet Class: B
Fuel Save Class: C
Price: £253.99

The difference in this retailer, of £47 is actually minor by comparison with other retailers, where it can escalate to £100+.

Now if we look just at the so-called Super Premium Michelin Cross Climate 2 in the front axle size 245/40/R18 97Y:

MICHELIN CrossClimate 2
245/40 R18 97Y
Price: £180.29

So now the excess difference in the same Make/Series Tyre (CrossClimate 2), from a 245/40 to a 265/35 is £73.70.

Even if I forego the fact that as an all-season tyre, the Super Premium CrossClimate 2 seems to perform worse than a Premium Summer tyre (Bridgestone Turanza 6), the excessive mark-up suggests in my book that Michelin is having a laugh.

The manual should give both the tyre size and rim diameter, as well the rim width (e.g. 8J or 8.5J etc).

Also, if you look at the official accessories list for your car, you'll see that MB specify the width (and ET) for each wheel option:

I do not have the manual at hand just now, but will have a look.

Keeping to the letter of Mercedes approved sizes for the Mercedes-Benz E-Class 2013 E 250 CDi [W212 Facelift], rear axle:

BRIDGESTONE Turanza 6
265/35 R18 97Y

265/35 R18 97Y

The difference in this retailer, of £47 is actually minor by comparison with other retailers, where it can escalate to £100+.

Now if we look just at the so-called Super Premium Michelin Cross Climate 2 in the front axle size 245/40/R18 97Y:

MICHELIN CrossClimate 2
245/40 R18 97Y

So now the excess difference in the same Make/Series Tyre (CrossClimate 2), from a 245/40 to a 265/35 is £73.70.

Even if I forego the fact that as an all-season tyre, the Super Premium CrossClimate 2 seems to perform worse than a Premium Summer tyre (Bridgestone Turanza 6), the excessive mark-up suggests in my book that Michelin is having a laugh.
The grades are self awarded.

Bridgestone Turanza's are a horrible tyre. Would rather any offering from Michelin any day before i would have a Bridgestone.

All season tyres also command a premium for whatever reason

BRIDGESTONE Turanza 6
265/35 R18 97Y

265/35 R18 97Y

MICHELIN CrossClimate 2
245/40 R18 97Y

Tyre prices are often affected by how common the tyre size is. So it's not just a question of having more rubber and a lower-profile tyre etc.

In this case, I am assuming that 245/40 R18 97Y is a very common size, hence the lower price.

However, as for running the same tyres at the rear.... as others have said, you'll need to replace the rear rims with narrower ones, which will involve a cost that will most probably negate any saving from having common tyre size on the rear.

In theory, you could buy two narrower rear rims of identical model as the fronts, then sell the original wider rims on eBay, but that's a lot of work (and shipping), so it's down to you...

The key question is: Are 245/40/R18 tyres all round on staggered rims an "approved fitment" for other than winter tyres? Without studying the fitment charts in detail, my gut feel is that the answer to that question is "no". Why is it the "key" question? Because most insurance companies will baulk at non-approved wheel / tyre size combinations if not disclosed, and either charge an additional premium for a "modification" or refuse cover altogether if it is disclosed.

As mentioned in posts above, winter tyres often have a reduced maximum speed constraint, and running narrower tyres on the wider rims leave the rim edges more open to kerbing damage.

If you want to run a "square" wheel & tyre setup on the car you need to consult the manual for the relevant wheel width and offset and what tyre width and aspect ratio is approved, then pony-up for a set of wheels and tyres.

All in all, it's easier (and probably cheaper) to run the staggered tyre sizes.

Thanks, Phil. Insurance-wise, I reckon you are right.

The issue arose simply because living in County Durham (a rural village just East of Durham), I normally go for all-season tyres. The weather up here... Well, is what it is 😁 and the roads have seen happier days. I first noticed the tyre size difference recently, as I am planning to change tyres around Summer time. My first Mercedes was a C-Class CDi Estate with all 4 wheels the same. When I moved on to the E-Class CDi AMG Sport saloon, I did not realise the wheel setup was different initially.

I understand much better now why I need to keep to the MB-approved fitment. I will do so. But I am bamboozled by the scarcity of all-season tyres in the size 265/35/R18 Y97. Being limited to Michelin leaves me out of my comfort zone in terms of what I usually go for, GoodYear, Bridgestone being the ones I tend to pick, as they have always served me well over the last 30 years of motoring, in the UK and overseas as well.​

Tyre prices are often affected by how common the tyre size is. So it's not just a question of having more rubber and a lower-profile tyre etc.

In this case, I am assuming that 245/40 R18 97Y is a very common size, hence the lower price.

However, as for running the same tyres at the rear.... as others have said, you'll need to replace the rear rims with narrower ones, which will involve a cost that will most probably negate any saving from having common tyre size on the rear.

In theory, you could buy two narrower rear rims of identical model as the fronts, then sell the original wider rims on eBay, but that's a lot of work (and shipping), so it's down to you...

Yup... I actually think I will keep the original specification. Summer tyres it is, but making sure the brake-in-wet grade is A, I am not too bothered about the fuel-saving grade to be honest.​

I've got a w212 E350 CDI 2012 variety, and I have staggered 9J and 8.5J width alloys for summer and the two different tyre sizes (wider at rear) when running the summer (standard) 18" alloys.
I have also purchased a set of alloys for winter use, which use the same 8.5J alloy width all round, and therefore all 4 tyres are the same only when I'm running my 'winter' alloys with the winter tyres.
The winter set are genuine Mercedes alloys. Insurance is aware I run winter tyres and different alloys (albeit genuine Mercedes factory option) for some of the year.

Exact same situation here: bought second hand 17" winters that run 245 all round.

The grades are self awarded.

Bridgestone Turanza's are a horrible tyre. Would rather any offering from Michelin any day before i would have a Bridgestone.

All season tyres also command a premium for whatever reason
Thank you. I think I had Bridgestones fitted a few years back, they were okay. They were not Turanza, though, can't remember what the series was called.

What makes the Turanza such a horrible tyre, just out of curiosity?

What would your preference be for my car? 🙂

Thank you. I think I had Bridgestones fitted a few years back, they were okay. They were not Turanza, though, can't remember what the series was called.

What makes the Turanza such a horrible tyre, just out of curiosity?

What would your preference be for my car? 🙂
What are you after in terms of a tyre.

Comfort?
Mileage?
Performance?

Basically you have to chose between what would be graded as a sports orientated tyre or a touring orientated tyre.

All seasons? What's the thinking on these? All seasons are a compromise so you are not getting a great summer or a great winter tyre. You are getting a best of both world tyre 🤔

Turanza is a sub-brand of Bridgestone, I had Bridgestones on the front of my 968 coupe that I liked, staggered setup as here, ordered Bridgestones for the rears, they were Turanza and were fine.
Had the same size availability problem recently for the rears on the S204, no-one offers 245/40 R17 all season, so I'm trying 235/45 R17 Bridgestone A005E which have a rolling circumference 15mm more than the 245/40's, so far the ride and grip are fine, and the one check I've had of speedo vs radar-type MPH warning sign is also fine, so I'm a happy bunny.

Turanza is a sub-brand of Bridgestone, I had Bridgestones on the front of my 968 coupe that I liked, staggered setup as here, ordered Bridgestones for the rears, they were Turanza and were fine.
Had the same size availability problem recently for the rears on the S204, no-one offers 245/40 R17 all season, so I'm trying 235/45 R17 Bridgestone A005E which have a rolling circumference 15mm more than the 245/40's, so far the ride and grip are fine, and the one check I've had of speedo vs radar-type MPH warning sign is also fine, so I'm a happy bunny.
Turanza isn't a sub-brand it's just the name of their Touring Tyre

Same as Potenza is the name of their Sport Oriented tyre

May well have been Potenza I had then, as it was on my 968 coupe!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom