MB specific Vs general ODB scanner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mercyshah

Car
Mercedes GLA
Hi, I'm getting a good deal on the Topdon Artidiag500.

Just a question. How is the icarsoft MB v3.0 different to Topdon Artidiag500?

I know icarsoft is MB specific, but surely they will both catch the same DTC, right? Or is there a difference in catching manufacturer specific DTCs?

Or is the difference in the maintenance functions such as the MB specific tool can perform more functions on MB cars?

The Topdon Artidiag500 I'm guessing is similar to the icarsoft CR Max in that they are multi vehicle.
I have the CR Max and from I've seen it does all the MB 3.0 does as well as the all the other brands. So no reason why the multi brands have to offer less, after all that's why they cost more than the single brand version.

I know icarsoft is used a lot by users on this forum, but to be honest it isn't great. I bought after everyone sung it's praises, but at least similar priced launch and autels seem to offer a better usability. Graphing, recording and reporting are woeful on the icarsoft. From what I've seen of the Topdon, it looks better. I have been tempted by one, after disappointment in the icarsoft.

Unfortunately this end of the market getting any reliable information on what the devices really can offer is difficult. The product support is always flakey.

I'd say go for it and feedback.

Thank you, I'll give it a try and post findings here.

The main point I was wondering about was, for any given manufacturer, if the manufacturer specific scanners would catch and interpret DTCs better or more accurately than the multi vehicle ones.

Thank you, I'll give it a try and post findings here.

The main point I was wondering about was, for any given manufacturer, if the manufacturer specific scanners would catch and interpret DTCs better or more accurately than the multi vehicle ones.

More than the 'multi vehicle' ones? No.

More than the 'generic' OBDII scanners? Absolutely.

A multi vehicle scanner is like several manufacturer-specific scanners combined in one product.

A generic OBDII can only access a couple of CPUs out of dozens that each car has.

Those cheap nasty OBD2/EOBD tools all use the diagnostic services $1-$9, which are governed by ISO15031. Manufacturers are obliged to support this, but only have to do so for emission relevant modules and faults. Faults read using this method (uses service $3) will be the same, whether it's a Merc, BMW, Kia etc. Live data is also supported, but very the manufacturers don't have to support much.

Manufacturer specific tools including the likes of Xentry, iCarsoft, Launch all use the diag services $10-$38, which are governed by ISO14229. That standard defines how the tool and module talk, but not now to interpret the data. So a fault read here (service $19) could have a different meaning between the MB, BMW, Kia etc, even if the responses are the same.

So for an MB the king of the tools is the Xentry, it is the official tool. The aftermarket tools like icarsoft, Topdon, Launch etc obviously will never be as good they are all just variable quality, reverse engineered efforts bundled together. They should all be be able read and interpret the faults, they are easy to reverse engineer. The service routines and special functions are more difficult, so that is where they differ.

Thank you... It makes more sense now.

I used to have the vag com for my previous Audi cars. Shame xentry has a high barrier to entry.

Yeah, I used to have an Audi and used VCDS. Unfortunately for an MB, at that price you can only get something that is rather poor by comparison (unless you look on AliExpress, but we can't talk about those here).

Thank you... It makes more sense now.

I used to have the vag com for my previous Audi cars. Shame xentry has a high barrier to entry.

You need to be able to demonstrate that you are a proper garage if you want MB to sell you STAR and take your money for the connection subscription. And so, even if you were willing to pay the ££££ it costs, you won't be able to get it as an individual.

A clone from Ali Express will do some of the stuff, but anything that requires the live connection to MB still won't work (unless you're a hacker....).

In practical terms, iCarsoft is the most sensible purchase for the DIY enthusiast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom