Mercedes B200 W245 Timing chain tensioner . Help please .

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

optimusprime

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Mercedes W124 260E M103
Need a little help for a friend over in Portugal ..He removed the timing chain tensioner . And the petrol engine was not set at TDC when he did it .Now he needs to know if he could just fit the new tensioner if possible by just turning the engine to TDC without any problems,and then re fit it .As it is the new tensioner wont bo in to the engine . thanks for looking

Highly risky!

You could try turning the crank and few teeth so that the tension is eased on the tensioner guide, that may allow you to fit the tensioner - but the timing may have jumped so you would have to check it thoroughly before even thinking of trying to start it.

Dodipoops Thank you i could not see the problem of turning the crank a little .But now i do, it could cause the chain to jump over the teeth.👍 I will tell my friend in Portugal .

If the engine has not been moved ,i.e. rotated at all, fitting a new tensioner should leave the engine set up ok. After all the tensioner is only applied to one side of the chain and all you are doing is loosening and the tightening the chain in the same place. Just check your timing marks after you have installed the new tensioner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom