Mercedes Benz insurance - rip off

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Martinjs

Car
2021 C300 AMG Line Night Edition Prem +
I retired recently so I called MB insurance today to advise that I am no longer employed and I don’t need cover for commuting anymore.

Cost me £38+ in order to comply with their requirements to inform them of any changes, £18 premium increase!, and £20 administration fee.

Just done the same for our smart roadster which insured with Aviva, did it online, took a couple of minutes cost = zero.

The MB service is contracted out to a set-up called Markerstudy Insurance Services - takes them 15 mins to answer a call - seem understaffed.

I will be looking elsewhere at renewal - the service doesn’t live up to the MB image.

I retired recently so I called MB insurance today to advise that I am no longer employed and I don’t need cover for commuting anymore.

Cost me £38+ in order to comply with their requirements to inform them of any changes, £18 premium increase!, and £20 administration fee.

Just done the same for our smart roadster which insured with Aviva, did it online, took a couple of minutes cost = zero.

The MB service is contracted out to a set-up called Markerstudy Insurance Services - takes them 15 mins to answer a call - seem understaffed.

I will be looking elsewhere at renewal - the service doesn’t live up to the MB image.
What MB image ? It self destructed years ago. The Best or Nothing, gives us nothing.

To be fair you probably didn’t need to inform them. You were insured for a scenario which would likely no longer happen, some might say “over” insured.

They’re really interested in changes which might lead to you being under insured, ie increased risk or not covered. The safest thing to do is tell them though.

They are not the only ones out there.. 18 months ago I called my insurance to SORN my R129. They wanted an admin fee and had the audacity to want to increase the premium too, the car is parked on our drive.

Why did your premium increase after retirement?.....my wife finished work.....premium went down. Less miles (even though she left the annual miles the same for now )and no commuting I guess.

If you want some entertainment, check out this link to the Trustpilot reviews of Markerstudy Insurance:

I almost got into bed with them recently when I contacted my house insurer regarding insuring a second property.
For some wierd reason (probably a back-hander), I was put in touch with Markerstudy.
I managed to speak to someone, but something about him didn't quite ring true.
So - I checked them out on Trustpilot and nearly fell of my seat when I read the reviews.

Interesting how many of the bad reviews have been posted in the last few months, almost as if someone has an axe to grind?
I've been insured with markerstudy many times but never had to make a claim so couldn't possibly offer a personal opinion but I know of others who have claimed with no problems whatsoever.

lol I renewed with Sainsburys as they accepted things like wraps and PPF and I see underwriter is Markerstudy as well. Here’s me thinking though that in case of a claim I won’t deal direct with them but through Sainsburys. Never had to claim anything so at this stage the insurance is a tickbox exercise. For now knock on wood.

Hi
I was insured with Markerstudy at the time I wrote off my C43 AMG (w202), I insured it as a "modified car", initially tried to give me book value for the car (in the region of £3k at the time) until I pointed out I had paid a premium to reflect my modifications. At this point they sent out an assessor, he inspected the car and asked the value I put on the car I summed up what it would cost to put me in another with the same modifications and spec which I reckoned was in the region of £12k, we agreed in principle to a £11k payout which was confirmed and paid within the week of his visit.
The claim procedure was very much geared up if the vehicle had been a bog standard car and I complicated further by not letting the car out of my possession until everything had been agreed did take about three months till it was all agreed.

Declaring mods and insuring the car for a higher value are different things. I have mods declared on my car....buy the higher premium reflects the higher risk of insuring a modded car and potential higher cost of any possible repairs not a higher value. In fact most mods devalue a car for most buyers. Mine is certainly worth no more than a stocker. If you have very expensive mods than you need an agreed car value policy on top of declaring mods. Sound like you did have that....or were lucky with your claim.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom