Mercedes c class c22 cdi bluetech amg line premium plus Location lighting not working

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Eazap1

Car
Mercedes c class c220 cdi bluetech amg line premium plus night
Hi guys, im hoping someone can help. So ive just noticed on my w205 my location lights on all 4 door handles and the lights under my side wing mirror dont work when i unlock the car.

The option on COMMAND is on and headlight switch is on AUTO but still wont work. I have changed the main battery too as it was showing as being a bit weak but yet the same.

Checked fuse also seems fine.

Does anyone know if my model has an auxilary battery or is it a voltage converter or are they the same thing? Would that being low/weak have anything to do with the exterior lighting. Is an auxillary battery only for stop start feature??

Also my stop/start does not work. Again settings are on in COMMAND and also changed main battery for a new one (stop/start battery) but yet the same.

Please guys any help towards resolving this would be much appreciated as its doing my head!!

No warranty either which dont help!!

Thanks

Last edited:
Welcome.

As far as I know the W205 uses a capacitor, not a lead-acid battery, as the auxiliary battery. And they did use to go wrong in the early years.

A failed auxiliary battery can definitely explain why the Start/Stop isn't working (given that you say that the main battery is new).

But I am not sure if it's linked to the door handle and wing mirror illumination issue. When where these last working?

Welcome.

As far as I know the W205 uses a capacitor, not a lead-acid battery, as the auxiliary battery. And they did use to go wrong in the early years.

A failed auxiliary battery can definitely explain why the Start/Stop isn't working (given that you say that the main battery is new).

But I am not sure if it's linked to the door handle and wing mirror illumination issue. When where these last working?

Ive just bought the car in july and was assuming they worked until i spotted that they were not working. I did give the car in for some paint work when i bought it and they had to remove one of the door handles to be able to paint behind it, the next morning when they tried to start the car the battery was flat so had to jump start it.

After about a week or so of having the car back i got the message 'stop vehicle shift to p leave engine running' and yellow battery sign with an !.

I took it to have battery tested and they said it was knackered. Car was switched off and Showed 12.4v and said 45%, Not sure if thats the state of charge.

If it was anything tp do with auxbat/capacitor would it not come up as a warning on instrument cluster??

Thanks

1. If the car was bought from a trader, take it back to them and let them fix it under warranty. Obviously, if you bought it in a private sale, then there's not much you can do.

2. Jump-starting a car can damage the electronics if not done correctly - do you know how it was jump-started?

3. The auxiliary battery does not show a warning on the dash when it fails. The only way to be sure that this is the reason that your Start/Stop isn't working is by replacing it.

4. Are you sure the car has the door illumination option? It was optional on some models. Run the VIN through a VIN decoder and see if it has the relevant option pack.

1. If the car was bought from a trader, take it back to them and let them fix it under warranty. Obviously, if you bought it in a private sale, then there's not much you can do.

2. Jump-starting a car can damage the electronics if not done correctly - do you know how it was jump-started?

3. The auxiliary battery does not show a warning on the dash when it fails. The only way to be sure that this is the reason that your Start/Stop isn't working is by replacing it.

4. Are you sure the car has the door illumination option? It was optional on some models. Run the VIN through a VIN decoder and see if it has the relevant option pack.

Was a private sale. But previous owner is addiment they was all working.

They said they jumped it from the positive terminal under the bonnet ( one that sits on the cover that u have to remove in order to get to the battery).

Defo has it because even when i pull handle i can see the led lights just behind the handle. Most amg line premium plus packs have it. Jist the standard se models dont i think...

So the aux batterys purpose is there just for the start stop feature? Or does it help all these little extras with power too..??

Ive come across some people who have said they gey a warning saying auxilary battery malfunction...??

So lost man doing my head in. Something that should be so simple n isnt!!

The auxiliary battery feeds all of the car's electrical consumers when the engine isn't running, to ensure that the main battery charge is preserved for starting the engine.

If the auxiliary battery's charge falls below a certain level, the Start/Stop feature won't work and electrical consumers will be fed from the main battery. So in theory the door handle illumination shouldn't be affected by the failure of the the auxiliary battery.

I say 'in theory' because I obviously can't be sure that that's the case.

I would replace the auxiliary battery (capacitor), which will almost certainly fix the Start/Stop issue (again, assuming the main battery has already been replaced, with the correct AGM battery).

Whether it will also fix the door handle illumination, I don't know. My guess would be that the door illumination issue is more likely to be related to the recent removal and refitting of the door handles (which would have also required the removal of the door cards).

For example, if the car was started while the door handles were off, then the ECU will register faults for all four door controller modules. Whether the faults will clear automatically once the door handles were refitted, or perhaps the fault codes need to be deleted by STAR first, I don't know.

With regards error message on the dash, in some circumstances the auxiliary battery will record a fualt, but at the same time there have been many cases where no error message eas logged and yet replacing the capacitor resolved the Start/Stop issue.

Ah ok. So i think im going to go down the route of having capacitor changed. Even though my main concern is exrerior illumination because start stop i dont like using anyway lol.

I have just had a look and the new battery thats been fitted is a platinum ECM 75ah 12v start stop battery. Is that the right one. I read somewhere it needs to be an agm or agr 115 or something.

Anyway luckily i know a guy who does ecu remaps and he is a big AMG fan has an A45 amg himself, and has the scan tool for mercedes and said it will tell us if there is a problem with either of my issues. So going to give that a go hopefully tonight and see what it says.

Ive uploaded a picture of my battery too...

I really appreciate your help and prompt replies towards this.

Thank you

So went out for a drive a short while ago. Got on the motorway and about 10 minutes later guess what? Start/stop icon went GREEN! So seems like its decided to work now but at the same time i feel its only when engine is really warm as it kept goin from green to amber n then green all of a sudden???

Atleast its worked would you still recommend changing capacitor??

Not had the scan done yet for the lights

So went out for a drive a short while ago. Got on the motorway and about 10 minutes later guess what? Start/stop icon went GREEN! So seems like its decided to work now but at the same time i feel its only when engine is really warm as it kept goin from green to amber n then green all of a sudden???

Atleast its worked would you still recommend changing capacitor??

Not had the scan done yet for the lights

If you're Start/Stop is now working, then I wouldn't replace the auxiliary battery, unless you can prove that it is causing the illumination issue, which I don't think it is.

The lights in the door handles fail with alarming regularity. I'm not sure the same is true for the ones under the mirrors, but if it isn't a fuse I would do as above have said, get codes read and cleared. If that doesn't sorry it replace one of the mirror bulbs (they are much much easier!). If that works then you probably have the answer for the rest.

The bulbs for the door handles are cheap and easy to get... Fitting them less so, but there are some good YouTube DIY videos that will point you in the right direction.

A long drive that gets the stop/start working points to a weak battery that either needs a really good charge or replacing.

Well it wasnt a really lkng drive did about 20 miles in total. The main battery is brand new thats the reason its started working.

C220dlondon thanks ive seen the puddle lights can be changed but the door lights my god they look a mission just for a bulb. Im confident to do it but just dont want to cause any more issues for example windows going up n down slow or any different to how they are now as the window has to be removed along with inner door frame behind door cover!!!

I think ill get diagnostic done. If it ilworks it works if not ah well....

Big shout out to MARKJAY though aswell was a great help

Thanks guys will keep u updated....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom