Mercedes E300- hybrid problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ok any ideas as I have just bought an E300 hybrid 2014. The ready light comes on green when I turn the key but then starts the engine so no silent starts. Also it doesn't stop start when I stop at traffic lights. I've tried making sense of the numerous manuals but can't find the answer. Praying it's not a trip to the local MB dealer

Ok any ideas as I have just bought an E300 hybrid 2014. The ready light comes on green when I turn the key but then starts the engine so no silent starts. Also it doesn't stop start when I stop at traffic lights. I've tried making sense of the numerous manuals but can't find the answer. Praying it's not a trip to the local MB dealer

is the hybrid working ? ie is it recharging when you brake ?

is the hybrid working ? ie is it recharging when you brake ?

Yes it charges the battery and it flows back the other way to boost when in sport mode. Ready starts in green briefly then stays yellow for the remainder of the journey.

Yes it charges the battery and it flows back the other way to boost when in sport mode. Ready starts in green briefly then stays yellow for the remainder of the journey.

i had a problem with mine first time in two years but although the light stayed green the hybrid had stopped working, the end result was a faulty battery which had to be replaced.

Are you sure it's not just the weather so it's not active ? mine at the moment won't stop/start or run the hybrid until it's right up to temperature as in a good 25 minutes into a journey.

i had a problem with mine first time in two years but although the light stayed green the hybrid had stopped working, the end result was a faulty battery which had to be replaced.

Are you sure it's not just the weather so it's not active ? mine at the moment won't stop/start or run the hybrid until it's right up to temperature as in a good 25 minutes into a journey.

Hhmm not sure on time scale but will be mindful that I'm out and about that it gets a good run, the battery is charging well into the high 80's early 90% but will see what happens over the week. Dare I ask how much a new battery costs. I'll be sitting down,,,,

Hhmm not sure on time scale but will be mindful that I'm out and about that it gets a good run, the battery is charging well into the high 80's early 90% but will see what happens over the week. Dare I ask how much a new battery costs. I'll be sitting down,,,,

Depends on the milage of your car you have cover for 7 years or 62k, mine was on 67k and four years old they wanted £14.5K to replace it. after a lot of arguments and the fact they could not 100% say the battery replacement would sort all the issues with my car they replaced it FOC. i have a totally different car now they battery charges up very very quickly and will even drop into running on battery at 70mph on the motorway sometimes.

Dear lord, that's what I paid for the car, it has 57k on it and is very clean. When it was delivered I took it to fill up and drove back down the local bypass and got the car into sailing mode as the rev counter needle dropped to the bottom as if you'd turned the engine off. I'm hoping that this is a good sign and that it needs more of a run than ivII given it?

I had a new one in 2014 and it very rarely did much hybrid driving this time of year but as weather got warmer so the performance got better.

These have a relatively small hybrid battery so it’s to be expected.

Robin

I had a new one in 2014 and it very rarely did much hybrid driving this time of year but as weather got warmer so the performance got better.

These have a relatively small hybrid battery so it’s to be expected.

Robin
Thanks for the information it reassures me, was starting to think I'd bought a lemon . Thanks for all the information everyone it's much appreciated.

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

I would take it as a given that a hybrid car (all marques, not just MB) needs to be repaired at the dealer.

Traditionally, the primary reason that buyers purchased new hybrid cars was the very low (or nil) BIK.

In that scenario, the car is being purchased with finance and replaced after 2 or 3 years.

The first owner will therefore have no issue with the cost of dealer repairs, because the car will still be covered by the manufacture's warranty during the finance or lease period.

It's down to the second owner, who buys the car second hand, to consider that hybrid cars are complex and many of the potential issues will require dealer attention.

The exception perhpas is Toyota/Lexus, where thanks to their near-Legendary reliability second hand buyers are unlikely to experience major issues.

I`ve had my Lexus for nearly 6 year and nothing has gone wrong. Not even a bulb has failed.
Lexus now offers a 15 year warranty on its Hybrids Batteries.
Where is Mercedes going wrong ??????

I find it hard to believe that MB expect a customer to stump up £14000.00 for a replacement battery. I think they should guarantee key components like that for a minimum of 10 years and if they fail outside of that period offer a reduced price to exchange the battery or maybe lease them which would grow their customer base and draw in service clients that ordinarily they wouldn't have. Sorry I wondered off to utopia again

I`ve had my Lexus for nearly 6 year and nothing has gone wrong. Not even a bulb has failed.
Lexus now offers a 15 year warranty on its Hybrids Batteries.
Where is Mercedes going wrong ??????

Lexus have been selling hybrids since 2005 although of course they did have the benefit of Toyota's experience with the Prius (around since 1997). Having said that I don't recall hearing of any serious issues, even with the early cars? A diesel hybrid sounds like the worst ever idea for long life though ... presumably the engine still needs all the things that make modern ones so unreliable as they get older (EGR, DPF, etc.)?

Exactly the same problem as described by OP. Problem solved by replacing the starter. Now the eco start stop just works like brand new.

Xentry diagnosed the starter life is due and needs to be replaced.
There is option to buy factory rebuilt starter which is significantly cheaper than a brand new, came with one year warranty.

Part of regular maintenance, you have to use Xentry to test the starter to know when it’s due to prevent suddenly broken down.

I attached the starter test before and after replacement for your information.

(Before replacement - Test the starter via xentry - unfortunately mine was already long over-due)
Meet Google Drive – One place for all your files

(After replacement, use xentry to perform reseting counter - number of engine starts)
Meet Google Drive – One place for all your files

There were some earlier sign as the starter is getting due when it takes slightly delay to crank up diesel engine, and also the switching over from electric to diesel will give you more obvious feeling of ‘shake’, if you know what I meant, especially when gear is engaged (Drive and Reverse).

Last edited:
Could this be the same problem for my car?
when the car is about to change to petrol from electric whilst accelerating, the car jerks.

It tends to happen on lower gears only (1-2).

When I'm driving on complete petrol (charge mode) the jerking doesn't happen.

Attachments

• IMG-20200702-WA0012.jpg
    IMG-20200702-WA0012.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG-20200702-WA0011.jpg
    IMG-20200702-WA0011.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG-20200702-WA0013.jpg
    IMG-20200702-WA0013.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG-20200702-WA0010.jpg
    IMG-20200702-WA0010.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG-20200702-WA0008.jpg
    IMG-20200702-WA0008.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 24
Hi guys, i've got yet another problem with my E300 hybrid ( these things are plagued) .
When i start ignition, it stays on the electric drive and instead of switching the engine on, it stays blocked on the hybrid drive until the battery runs out and the car stops.
If i switch on the engine on the SPORT mode , the engine runs fine, but once i put it in Eco ( comfort ) mode , the engine cuts-off and stays locked on electric drive.
I went to my local garage and the only errors that caught my attention ( that might be related ) have been:
P087000 - OIL PRESSURE SENSOR 'C' HAS AN ELECTRICAL FAULT
P126F29 & P126F29 - THE SIGNAL 'HOT START' FROM THE AUTOMATIC ENGINE START/STOP SYSTEM HAS A MALFUNCTION. THE SIGNAL IS INVALID / THERE IS AN IMPLAUSIBLE SIGNAL.
U040100 - IMPLAUSIBLE DATA WERE RECEIVED FROM CONTROL UNIT ' COMBUSTION-ENGINE'
P008709 - THE FUEL PRESSURE IN THE SYSTEM IS TOO LOW
U041600 - IMPLAUSIBLE DATA WERE RECEIVED FROM CONTROL UNIT 'TRACTION SYSTEM'
Thanks
Hello. Is your car working wel after replacing the start motor?
Hi guys, i've got yet another problem with my E300 hybrid ( these things are plagued) .
When i start ignition, it stays on the electric drive and instead of switching the engine on, it stays blocked on the hybrid drive until the battery runs out and the car stops.
If i switch on the engine on the SPORT mode , the engine runs fine, but once i put it in Eco ( comfort ) mode , the engine cuts-off and stays locked on electric drive.
I went to my local garage and the only errors that caught my attention ( that might be related ) have been:
P126F29 & P126F29 - THE SIGNAL 'HOT START' FROM THE AUTOMATIC ENGINE START/STOP SYSTEM HAS A MALFUNCTION. THE SIGNAL IS INVALID / THERE IS AN IMPLAUSIBLE SIGNAL.
U041600
Thanks
Hello. Is your car working well after replacing the starter motor? Great help if you can answer as my car also having same issue

Change the main battery and everything will be perfect. (12 volts battery) not the hybrid or the backup battery

Proper diagnostic has been done.
Starter motor needs replacing ( altough it works ), cost of part is 430 / cost of labour at dealership is 640 for 4 1/2 hrs of labour. Bloody extortion that is !
Hello
Finally the problem was the starter motor?

Thanks

Thanks
Hi mate,
I have the same problem like you described above. Can you please help me if you managed to fix it and how much did that cost you ?

Buestoy teniendo en mismo problema con mi e300 hybrid del modo eléctrico no pasa al modo gasoil es por si me podéis decir si cambiando el motor de arranque se soluciona y cual es el adecuado

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom