Mercedes Me - Subscription Renewals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mrheartbeat

Car
C300 Estate / SLK350
That dreaded time has come when Merc would like to lighten my wallet for new maps, remote access data stuff... It aint cheap but I think I'll go for the Remote access for a "mere" £68 but does anyone out there renew the oh so expensive (£119) mapping subscription? What with a TomTom in the glovebox and Googlemaps on the phone...

That dreaded time has come when Merc would like to lighten my wallet for new maps, remote access data stuff... It aint cheap but I think I'll go for the Remote access for a "mere" £68 but does anyone out there renew the oh so expensive (£119) mapping subscription? What with a TomTom in the glovebox and Googlemaps on the phone...
I had most of the options renewed except for the maps and traffic (wasn’t that impressed with traffic anyway) . Waze on carplay will do everything that I might need, that Comand does not.

I don’t see the need to have the latest satnav maps but then, I’m from a generation that used paper maps and can find my way around without satnav. From what I can gather many younger drivers cannot manage without the latest maps.

Purchased the car in 2016 and I had just 5 options listed. Can’t remember what they all are now but live traffic was one. After first 3 years fthey asked me to renew at cost which I did for 2 years.
b Last year I renewed same options for 1 year cost £107 or so.
This year they asked £251 for the same 5 options.
I was so infuriated I didn’t renew anything and so far I haven’t missed them!

Purchased the car in 2016 and I had just 5 options listed. Can’t remember what they all are now but live traffic was one. After first 3 years fthey asked me to renew at cost which I did for 2 years.
b Last year I renewed same options for 1 year cost £107 or so.
This year they asked £251 for the same 5 options.
I was so infuriated I didn’t renew anything and so far I haven’t missed them!
Oh ---people need the security blanket..........afterall it is 2022 age of the post millenial.

I renew maps. I but the three year option which is better value. It’s not as good as my phone but I like to keep my phone out of the way and using the big screen.

The navigation system was shocking anyway. It used to try and do some silly things. It once guided my wife off a motorway only to go onto the island above the motorway and then straight back on again.
They really don’t explain all these subscriptions well when you go to buy the car. Mine was leased through work on salary sacrifice and none of this was explained. Very disappointing and frankly miss-selling

Remote and navigation package for my GLC cost me £204 inc VAT for 12 months, I like the navigation in my GLC rather than Waze (yes I know I’m in a minority) and yes Mercedes does sometimes make strange decisions but then don’t they all?

My weekly food bill is around that (yes it includes alcohol) so in the great scheme of things the Mercedes charges are not too bad.

Oh and my wife’s yearly subscription for Microsoft updates is around £70 and that just sits upstairs rarely being used but hey ho.

Robin

Never paid for any MS updates...... which ones are chargeable?

Never paid for any MS updates...... which ones are chargeable?
She purchased a new laptop that had MS office or similar but became chargeable after around a month or so may have been Microsoft 365 but I could be mistaken, I use Apple stuff so not entirely sure.

Robin

She purchased a new laptop that had MS office or similar but became chargeable after around a month or so may have been Microsoft 365 but I could be mistaken, I use Apple stuff so not entirely sure.

Robin

Most laptops are bundled with a 30-day evaluation version of Microsoft Office 365. If you want to keep using it after the free evaluation period expired, you'll need to buy a subscription.

Gotcha.........I still use the old non subscription Office.....must be from about 2010!!!

Gotcha.........I still use the old non subscription Office.....must be from about 2010!!!

Not that anyone asked, but.....

Ms-Office licences are available in two major ways: the first is Full Packaged Product (FPP), which later became Electrically Distributed Software (EDS), where you pay a one-off purchase price for a perpetual license, and then you're 'stuck' with the version of Ms-Office that you purchased - i.e. if a new version is released, and you want to use it, then you'll have to purchase it outright again and bin the older version. The second is Office 365 (or Microsoft 365), where you pay a monthly or annual subscription fee for the software, and you can only use it while you're paying the subscription fee, but then you're always entitled to upgrade the software to the latest version as and when new versions are released.

(Other types of licenses include Volume Licensing and Open Licensing, with or without Software Assurance, or Service Provider Licence Agreement (SPLA), but these are for businesses and institutions only and done of these have been withdrawn)

Last edited:
I like the navigation in my GLC rather than Waze (yes I know I’m in a minority) and yes Mercedes does sometimes make strange decisions but then don’t they all?
I’m with you. I use Google Maps or Waze when I have to be somewhere on time and/or I don’t know where I’m going and so the extra functionality is helpful.

If I’m driving long distances, on a router I know well, and when time is more flexible I prefer to juse COMAND (on cars without Apple CarPlay).

The reason being that I only really need a general guide as to when I might arrive, and to know if there’s a major hold up or blocked route so I can divert.

A dynamically adjusted optimal route in real time is not so important in those circumstances 😁

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom