• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Midline Sound System S205/W205

sgoldswo

Car
S205
I recently bought a 2019 S205 (estate) Sport Premium used to replace a 204 we had since 2009. I wasn’t over impressed with the sound from the midline Sound system compared to the HK system in our old 204. It was overly harsh with very treble oriented sound, and even worse in CarPlay. However, the worst part was the vibration at certain frequencies. I was mystified by the rattle from the speakers and thinking a warranty claim or sound system upgrade was in order, as no amount of playing with the Equaliser settings changed the basic problems without introducing more.

Last night I think I solved the problem - I found two changes made a huge difference: 1. Turn off “volume amplification” in the sound system settings; and 2. Turn off the “loudness” eq setting on my iPhone. To get the system sounding more to my taste I turned down the treble and turned up the bass, with a slight increase in the mids. No more audible vibrations from the speakers, the sound is still overly biased to treble but no worse than my Sonos speakers at home.

However, I’m a tinkerer, and I wonder whether replacement of the footwell subwoofers with a aftermarket alternative would change the balance of the sound more to my liking? Thoughts welcome

However, I’m a tinkerer, and I wonder whether replacement of the footwell subwoofers with a aftermarket alternative would change the balance of the sound more to my liking? Thoughts welcome
I thought the Premium/ Premium Plus versions came as standard with the Burmeister systems?

I thought the Premium/ Premium Plus versions came as standard with the Burmeister systems?
I think it depends on when they were made. Mine was first registered in January 2019 (30 Jan to be precise), is definitely the "C C 220 SPORT PREMIUM D AUTO" (facelift) and definitely has the "853 MIDLINE SOUND SYSTEM" with amp, 2 subwoofers, centre and tweeters. It's not terrible now it doesn't vibrate, but I would like a way of having more at the low end without making the speakers or their covers resonate.

I think it depends on when they were made. Mine was first registered in January 2019 (30 Jan to be precise), is definitely the "C C 220 SPORT PREMIUM D AUTO" (facelift) and definitely has the "853 MIDLINE SOUND SYSTEM" with amp, 2 subwoofers, centre and tweeters. It's not terrible now it doesn't vibrate, but I would like a way of having more at the low end without making the speakers or their covers resonate.
Hi sgoldswo, I have the same spec sound system in an A205 (convertible) I've bought, I was convinced there was a fault with the speakers until doing some research online. I've tried the settings you mentioned above, it's better but still pretty poor, did you find a better solution? I've looked into upgrading the speakers, obviously not a cheap option unfortunately!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom