• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Missing dust shield

colinallcars

Car
B180, SLK 230
Does a missing front brake disc dust shield constitute a MoT failure?
Mine has rusted through and fallen off, replacement requires a whole hub assembly costing £££.

No. When mine rusted through and started rubbing, my garage (where I have my MOTs done) suggested that I just break/cut them off. I did that and had no issues at the MOT. The next time I had the hubs apart though I replaced them.

Depending on what parking brake set up your car has the rear dust shields can not be left off , if the front ones have rotted (if you have the foot operated parking brake) the rear ones might be on their way too , check them before its too late. The hole for the retaining spring rots out and the brake fails (next) MOT.

plate rot.jpg

Depending on what parking brake set up your car has the rear dust shields can not be left off , if the front ones have rotted (if you have the foot operated parking brake) the rear ones might be on their way too , check them before its too late. The hole for the retaining spring rots out and the brake fails (next) MOT.

View attachment 162128
It’s a front one and electric parking brake on the rear so OK there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom