Missing English from Comand

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Carlos2k

Car
CLS55 AMG
Hi All,

New to the forum!

Picked up my first Mercedes today, beautiful CLS 2008 w219 320D, very happy with it however the command unit / sat nav seems to be missing English language?

The previous owner was polish and when I navigate into the language settings every language is listed apart from English??

Any advise? I’ve scrolled up and down and it’s def not there? I believe I had the NGT2 version.

Thanks
Carl

These are all my options

Attachments

• F0E2E301-2A34-463E-A1CD-4EBA3A324FE4.jpeg
    F0E2E301-2A34-463E-A1CD-4EBA3A324FE4.jpeg
    73.4 KB · Views: 55
  • 349DE71E-0065-4740-BB47-7197C0871FC1.jpeg
    349DE71E-0065-4740-BB47-7197C0871FC1.jpeg
    68.5 KB · Views: 53
Do the VIN check and see if the car had factory installed command at all. It might be that the previous owner did the Command upgrade in Poland (with Eastern European version) hence no English. But I don't see why it would have French and Dutch and no English option.
Maybe the entire system needs update.

Richard (Command online) will be on soon I expect to tell you what to do. I expect it will need a firmware update.

Thanks for your replies! Ive done a vin check online at datamb and it has
527 COMAND DVD APS WITH NAVIGATION

Before the prevous owner it was from Derby so i assume it would of been English at one time of day.

I've messaged comand.co.uk i'll see what they say! If its firmware would it a be a trip to the dealer?

Would a Reset change it to its default language which is probable English?

How would you do a reset? I’ve done the one through the menu but didn’t seem to change anything

Would a Reset change it to its default language which is probable English?
Default language is german

I suspect you need a Western european navigation disk.

This is the one thats in the NAV?

Attachments

• IMG_0158.jpg
    IMG_0158.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 38
Should be okay! but I would try a newer one. V7 is very very old now....

Thanks for the info, quick update!

So after a couple of hours of trying various fixes with Mark at Comand he's asked me to try a later version of the NAV software which should update the firmware, unfortunately, he's only got 2018 that's £156 for something that's a bit of a gamble..

Its a big ask, but would anyone happen to have a newer version (Above v7) that they would be willing to sell to me so I can see if it fixes the problem? I need NTG1 disks above version v7. I don't ever use built-in NAV systems as I'm a big Waze user for the intelligent routing so i don't mind if its a few years out of date.

Thanks

Last edited:
I'd post in the wanted section but my account doesn't have sufficient privileges, i guess I'm too new!

Apart from a suggestion you learn Polish,which I suspect is not a option,you are entering the weird world of MB sat navs,now you can buy original? later versions on Ebay,you have version 7,which command has told you is a early one,now with luck somebody on here will have a later version for you,now there have been lots of debates on here about Ebay disks being no good,some have bought and used them with no trouble others have had problems,now I think the latest version for yours is V15 but there is a catch which is you must have a later version than you have to install the latest disc.as always Command is the font of knowledge on this subject,I hope you get it sorted, Powodzenia.

On Ebay you have to read the listing carefully to ensure you get a genuine DVD not a copy. Sometimes the genuine ones are in the correct retail packaging, other genuine ones may be in packaging as supplied to MB dealers for installing into customer's cars (not sure this applies to NTG1 DVD's as I believe the NTG1 DVD's reamin in the player rather than installing the maps etc onto a HDD, as happens with my NTG4). Basic rule of thumb is that if it looks far too cheap - say a most recent DVD for £30 or similar - chances are it's a burnt copy not a genuine original. I've bought NTG4 update DVD's from Ebay and from a forum member without installation problems, but both were definitely genuine.

Wonder if you'll need one of these as well ?

Mercedes NTG-1 Service Software Firmware Update for updating navigation dvd | eBay

Last edited:
On Ebay you have to read the listing carefully to ensure you get a genuine DVD not a copy. Sometimes the genuine ones are in the correct retail packaging, other genuine ones may be in packaging as supplied to MB dealers for installing into customer's cars (not sure this applies to NTG1 DVD's as I believe the NTG1 DVD's reamin in the player rather than installing the maps etc onto a HDD, as happens with my NTG4). Basic rule of thumb is that if it looks far too cheap - say a most recent DVD for £30 or similar - chances are it's a burnt copy not a genuine original. I've bought NTG4 update DVD's from Ebay and from a forum member without installation problems, but both were definitely genuine.

Wonder if you'll need one of these as well ?

Mercedes NTG-1 Service Software Firmware Update for updating navigation dvd | eBay

No he wont as from version 8 onwards the firmware was included on the genuine navigation disk.

So I’ve got ahold of a genuine v15 disk, did the upgrade procedure. Nav on, swap the disk and let it do it’s thing...

Still no English.. happy days.

What’s next? Take it direct to Mercedes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom