• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Multibeam headlight repair service

DamoC43

Car
C43 Estate
I'm currently repairing a C43 S205 2019 that's been in a crash. Last week I'd started stripping down the front end. One of the headlights (Drivers) was obliterated in the accident so i'm seeking a replacement for that and expect to have to get everything coded back to the car. The other headlight though looked fine (Accident damage is all on drivers side). The crash panel though had distorted a little over the top of the passenger side headlight and after removing the headlight unit I could hear small items rattling around inside - not good. When i tilted the unit to my horror i noticed the whole internal light cluster slid forward on one side - as if it's become detached. I've not had chance to see if it's repairable myself yet but was wondering if anyone knows of any repair services who might tackle such a repair?
These lights aren't cheap - even second hand and it's also difficult finding any that aren't already damaged in some way. I'd hate to have to source both sides.
PS: While the car was hooked upto 12v the passenger side DRL did come on. The low beam didn't but that was without engine running and i'm not sure if it would whilst the other side is smashed up. I'm in East midlands so would prefer some place around here if possible.

Why do headlights need to be coded?
I'm not 100% sure. I read somewhere it's to stop them being stolen but not sure on this. If i were just changing the headliht itself and keeping my original ballast modules it wouldn't be necessary but these were destroyed on the drivers side so as far as i know when i get replacement ones i'll need to get them coded to the car. I think without coding you don't get the adaptive functionality. All hear say though, i guess i'll find out when i rebuild :)

Why do headlights need to be coded?
Its actually the headlight control modules (which are used on multiple types of headlights and have 6 output channels) need to be coded to the headlight as the headlights have different amounts of LEDs on the different channels for different functions. Needs Xentry and 2-D barcode scanner. You have to turn off the old LED controller if moving to a new headlight so that it doesn't put too much current out on the wrong output and break the new headlight. In reality most identical replacement headlights have the same configuration so you won't blow them up - but that is not always the case !!

- We can do this in Lightwater, but finding a local independent with genuine Online Xentry AND the 2-D barcode scanner is what you're probably looking for. Take photos of the bar-codes before re-assembling (get L and R the correct way round) as often you can't get to the bar-codes once it is re-assembled !!

R

I think without coding you don't get the adaptive functionality. All hear say though, i guess i'll find out when i rebuild :)
The LED outputs of the new controllers wont even turn on until they are coded

> The low beam didn't but that was without engine running and i'm not sure if it would whilst the other side is smashed up.

That is possible, the left side is the CAN gateway, if that is missing lots doesn't work - but more likely there 2 shared big power fuses shared between the lights plus 1-2 low current feeds for the control units in the lights, so one could be blown. I can't remember where they are but I'd check the fusebox under the bonnet on driver's side first - having disconnected the broken light completely or fuse will just blow again.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom