My Japanese import all dun

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pem1

Car
Mercedes E500 w211
I bought this Mercedes w211 e500 2006 last year put the e63 front bumper on changed the instrument cluster to mph after other bibs and Bob's . Its totally rust free all under sealed rocket cover gaskets done blacked out head lights rear spoiler it's my second e500 but the uk one had the dreaded rust that's why I got a Japanese import I would recommend anybody to do it if you want a up and coming classic 20220122_094923_50.jpg

Lovely motor you've got there, looks great in White. :) 👍

A DIY import seems like it has got to be worth a shot vs. buying those that have already been imported for you.

Would you mind giving a very high level summary of how to go about this, current cost and where to source the car in the first place?

Just be aware the wiring on Japanese versions have differing colour coding to EU market - important if you ever want to upgrade the comand/ice.

Looks lovely and they don’t use salt on roads in Japan which helps with the corrosion :rock: hope you have lots of fun driving it

@MrGreedy bought it from a importer in manchester he did it all I had to wait for log book about six weeks because of covid the radio only works on am and radio 2 on fm but I can live with that like I said if you want a good w211 this is the way to go

@MrGreedy bought it from a importer in manchester he did it all I had to wait for log book about six weeks because of covid the radio only works on am and radio 2 on fm but I can live with that like I said if you want a good w211 this is the way to go
Can’t you put an aftermarket radio in it

when I had a JDM Subaru, I did hear of people getting a “car radio band expander” to give the appropriate bandwidth for the UK.

wonder if it would be a cheap interim solution?

or just search ‘car radio FM band expander‘ on the bay

if it’s a real keeper, maybe start exploring alternative head units, and search out those who have past experience of the differences to the wiring harness to make life easier for you?

@Flyinspanner just ordered one now will give it a go and let you no if it works thanks for the link

Looks nice. Especially as you don't see many W211s in white.

Is it the same "Alabaster" white that I see E55K imports in from Japan?

I think if you want a nice non-rusty E500 or E55K (and let's face it, you don't need to touch the ICE if you have a decent exhaust), these don't seem to be such a bad bet, especially if it has had rust-inhibitor.

The ones I've seen appear to be in good condition and well looked after.

The Japanese imported cars are significantly different to the rest of the world. They are wired totally differently. The Audio system is totally different and cannot just be swapped! Its alot more involved.

Similarly the instrument cluster change needs to be done properly, its not just a swap.

Some imports cost thousands to convert and any saving in cost is lost.

Are their cars the 'wierd' ones, or is it the UK ones that are awkward?
Bizarre that MB didn't / doesn't saving money by standardising that aspect.....

Hi all I changed the instrument cluster my self from kph to mph just change the back pcb into English clocks and away you go no xentry or das or vigin clocks ?

The Japanese imported cars are significantly different to the rest of the world. They are wired totally differently. The Audio system is totally different and cannot just be swapped! Its alot more involved.

Similarly the instrument cluster change needs to be done properly, its not just a swap.

Some imports cost thousands to convert and any saving in cost is lost.
We are all doomed, or things (as the op contests) aren't so bad

You could ask Erisin if their after market head units will be compatible with a Japanese model. If it isn't eBay protection means it could be returned.
Is a Japanese canbus different?
Identifying speakers, +ve, switched +ve (if needed), tuner amp wouldn't be difficult.

Hi all I changed the instrument cluster my self from kph to mph just change the back pcb into English clocks and away you go no xentry or das or vigin clocks ?
As long as it never goes onto an Xentry system for any update.

Pop the stereo out and take a look at the back.

The USA and rest of world are all pretty much the same. For some reason the Japanese cars are very very different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom