• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

NASA World Wind

Flyer

MB Enthusiast
Car
Ford Mustang GT
Nosying around the NASA site, trying to find the WinXP application that is sometimes shown on NASA TV showing, with graphics, the orientation of the Space Shuttle (can't find it), I came across the NASA World Wind application.

Similar to Google Earth, but with a more scientific bent and, as would be expected, US bias. It has Blue Marble, so you can see the Earth without any clouds, at any time of the year. As well as the Earth, there's the Moon, Mars, Venus, Jupiter and SDSS

There's a Wiki here. There is a massive list of add-ons.

The Virtual Earth add-on is a good one as it shows the Microsoft Live maps and data within World Wind, so allowing you to use WW's tools to view the terrain.

It is a fair bit slower than Google Earth, but I dare say NASA's servers are being hammered at the moment :D

I'm not downloadng 60MB here - I'll do it @ home when my new month ticks round (2GB limit pm).

I thought I would be clever and go straight to nasa.com :mad: :devil: :devil: boy did my anti virus software kick into overdrive. I suspect this site might not have actual virus's (plural) but it certainly has a few things that disagree with my settings. The actual site was about sailing??? but I did not stick around. The real NASA site as you have pointed out, is a wealth of interesting information.

Thanks,
John

Should keep you occupied for a while John, while us good folk talk Mercedes :D :D :devil: :devil:

glojo said:
virus's (plural)

OTish, "viruses". Not virus, virus', virii, viræ...

:).

Problem is now there's the choice of:

* Multimap
* Google Earth
* local Live
* Nasa...

think they're all for different reasons i.e zoom levels + resulting quality.

d'oh its nytimes now lol, it was nasa the other week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom