• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Need help deciding if a Service Plan is worth it.

xreyuk

Car
C220d BlueTEC SE
Hi All,

I have recently acquired a C Class SE C220d BlueTEC, it’s a 65 plate with 23,000 miles on.

It’s previously been a lease vehicle and has full MB dealer history.

It won’t be due until next year, but next years service is an A7 service - the ATF fluid needs doing, and then the year after will be a B service where the Fuel and Air filters need doing, as well as brake fluid. The next two services after that, from what I can see are standard A and B services (except another brake fluid change).

Im trying to decide whether to get a service plan for 2 or 4 years (I want the B services in there).

For me, 2 years seems like a no brainier, because as I understand it I’ll get the ATF fluid, brake fluid, air and fuel filters as part of the service plan?

I can’t decide whether to go for 4 years though? The dealer tried to entice me into it warning of rising servicing/service plan costs due to brexit.

What do you think I should go for? Service plan will be £36pm.

Cheers

I bought a 2-service plan two years ago, had the 2 services and then bought another 2-service plan just now.

The first time around I paid £35pm, the second time £36pm.

As you are aware there is no advantage in buying the 4-service plan up-front, other than securing against a potential cost increase in future (or against the service plan offer being withdrawn from the market in future).

However, the risk of buying the 4-service plan in advance is that if I sell the car - or if it's written-off - before the 4 years are up, then I will need to make a claim for a pro-rata refund.

Now, the way it was explained to me over the phone, is that the refund isn't simply based on the number of services already consumed, instead they would calculate the actual RRP cost of the services the car had up to that point.

If this is indeed correct, then an early exit will simply negate any saving from the plan because you end-up being charged the full price for the services consumed.

Said that.... there is always the possibility that I was given incorrect information. If it turns-out that the refund is simply based on the number of services used out of the 4 services purchased, and not on the full RRP cost of the various service items, then yes, buying 4 services in advance would make sense because you will get a fair refund if you end-up not owning the car for another four years.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
^ this is how it was explained to me

Cancelling early means work done is charged at PAYG RRP rates.

If in doubt, ask the person selling it to you...

Do you trust the dealer as don't expect 5 star service from a 1 star dealer ?

No point giving them your cash if you are not happy with them so I would do a Google review search or ask for recommendations .

K

Do you trust the dealer as don't expect 5 star service from a 1 star dealer ?

No point giving them your cash if you are not happy with them so I would do a Google review search or ask for recommendations .

K
Spot on.

It took me a while before I found a dealer I was happy with (MB Brooklands). And yes it does mean I have to travel as they are not very near me.

Last edited:
Thanks for the information guys.

Yes, I will be planning on keeping the car as long as possible, I tend to do that with my cars, I'm not a frequent changer. There's the chance it might be written off but obviously I'm not planning on that :D

After looking my local dealer seems to get good reviews online (I didn't buy the car from them), I might nip down there and feel them out to see what they're like, see what they say about refunds etc.

Purely from a monetary point of view, assuming I get all 4 services, does it make financial sense to go for it (I'm unaware what A/B servicing pricing is like) but I know for the first 2 services I need it would be worth it (assuming ATF fluid changes are covered, which they appear to be based on research?)

The plan is with MB UK not the dealer so you can have the car maintained anywhere.

If your local dealer isn’t up to scratch, find another

Last edited by a moderator:
The plan is with MB UK not the deer so you can have the car maintained anywhere.

If your local dealer isn’t up to scratch, find another

Thanks, I understand that, but don't really want to buy a service plan if I end up having to drive 2 hours to get it serviced at a dealer that's not crap :D

In the majority of cases, an A Service with no additional items (typically Years 1, 3, and 7), will be cheaper on PAYG than on a service plan.

But any other service will be cheaper via the service plan.

I say 'in the majority of cases' because while the service plan cost is dictated by MB UK and therefore it is the same regardless of which dealer you use, the cost of PAYG servicing differs greatly between dealers and it is also often negotiable, meaning that the only way to know for sure is by comparing the cost of the service plan with the cost of servicing at the actual dealer you intend to use (my own comparison was based on MB Brooklands quotes generated online but not negotiated any further in person).

I say 'typically' because some models have slightly different service schedule, e.g. ATF or Fuel Filter every 3 years etc.

In the majority of cases, an A Service with no additional items (typically Years 1, 3, and 7), will be cheaper on PAYG than on a service plan.

But any other service will be cheaper via the service plan.

I say 'in the majority of cases' because while the service plan cost is dictated by MB UK and therefore it is the same regardless of which dealer you use, the cost of PAYG differs greatly between dealers and it is also often negotiable, meaning that the only way to know for sure is by comparing the cost of the service plan with the cost of servicing at the actual dealer you intend to use (my own comparison was based on MB Brooklands quotes generated online but not negotiated any further in person).

I say 'typically' because some models have slightly different service schedule, e.g. ATF or Fuel Filter every 3 years etc.

Thanks, seeing as I'll be having an A service with ATF, 2 B Services (at least one with extras) and an A service it sounds like it'll be worth it then.

I took a plan out on my c-class only had 2700 miles when bought now 50000 miles I think £35 a month is no brainer for ease of monthly payment and peace on mind I was looking at kwik fit as they do services but stuck with MB.

Spot on.

It took me a while before I found a dealer I was happy with (MB Brooklands). And yes it does mean I have to travel as they are not very near me.

I found them excellent as well. I couldn't fault them. I had a two year service plan on year 4 (spark plug change) and year 5 (ATF change). I now use Olly at PCS Horndean to save a bit of money and my other half enjoys a day out in Gunwharf Quays.

In your situation, with the cars age and upcoming services required, I think the service plan will offer you great value for money.
Plus the fact that you are spreading the cost monthly, and not paying for the service in a big lump.
I would go for it.

If you're settled in your mind that you want to use a dealer then you might as well go for it.

As others have suggested, it's tough to know for sure whether it's better value for money, but it does seem like dealers have ramped up PAYG pricing in order to make ServiceCare a no-brainer. My local dealer used to be up for a haggle but that proved increasingly awkward, then they just started referring me to MyService, so I switched to using an indie. I know he services some people's MBs from new.

I have had emails from the dealer now and again saying they'll price match other garages so I assume they're suffering a little - there's whole host of MB specific indies around them, and a bunch of others who are more general 'german prestige' focused places. If it's your own car (ie not on an MB PCP etc) and you're going to keep it for a few years+ then now would be a good time to start building a relationship with a well-regarded indie.

Yes the service plan is worth every penny if you get it to cover as many (or more) B services than A service.

You need to bear in mind the service plan includes air filters, pollen filters, brake fluid replacement (every two years), ATF change every 4 years etc. Even at an Indie, the ATF change alone will cost circa 250GBP.

With labour and parts costs going up every year, I would suggest buying the longest service plan possible to lock in the price today!

The service plan includes 1 year full recovery including European cover which would set you back £150+ alone with AA or RAC As long as you have the service plan.

Now, the way it was explained to me over the phone, is that the refund isn't simply based on the number of services already consumed, instead they would calculate the actual RRP cost of the services the car had up to that point.

That is not my experience. I had a 4 year service plan on my W204 but sold the car after 2 years. One of the services I had 'used' was a full one with ATF change so I was expecting them to claw some of the cost back, but no, they simply deducted the cost of 2 services (24 x £31 IIRC) and refunded the remainder of my plan. Very quick, smooth, and painless.

That is not my experience. I had a 4 year service plan on my W204 but sold the car after 2 years. One of the services I had 'used' was a full one with ATF change so I was expecting them to claw some of the cost back, but no, they simply deducted the cost of 2 services (24 x £31 IIRC) and refunded the remainder of my plan. Very quick, smooth, and painless.

This is what I was hoping will be the case.... however the lady on the other side of the line insisted it wasn't. Had I known this when I bought the 2-Service plan, I would have opted for the 4-Service plan.

I did have a suspicion that she might be wrong... I suppose I could still cancel for full refund (since no services have been consumed yet) and purchase a new 4-Service plan, though I am bot sure I'd bother.

At any rate your post may be helpful to others who are undecided regarding the length of the plan they should purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom