• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Need new boots for the E63

Stevie1982

Car
2014 C63 AMG
Always been a fan of the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 or Pilot Sport 4S yet I'm struggling to find any in the right fitment for the 63 as well as the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5's which is my other go to. The cars currently on P Zero's which I don't get on with. Anyone running either

Goodyear Eagle F1 Super Sports
Continental Contact 5P

As I can get a matching set of 4, seems 285/30/19 are short on choice and then supply.

I ran the Conti 5P’s on my E63’s and they were massively better than the P Zeroes in cold, damp, conditions.

I also ran Goodyear Asymmetric 3’s which were similar in performance to the 5P’s, but a bit quieter.

P Zeros are good tyres.....just not for all year round in the UK! Get some heat in them and/or drive quite aggressively and they grip fine. But if you poodle about or its in single figures temp wise.....not so great!

P Zeros are good tyres.....just not for all year round in the UK! Get some heat in them and/or drive quite aggressively and they grip fine. But if you poodle about or its in single figures temp wise.....not so great!
I agree that in warm, dry, conditions when you can actually get some heat into them they're fine. They’re also not bad when new in colder (single-digit) temperatures in wet or damp conditions.

Where they are appallingly bad is in cold, damp, conditions when they're part worn (say 4-5mm tread remaining). In those conditions when mounted on an E63 I swear ketchup grips a fried egg better.

I bought my assy 5's in that size from Kwik fit when they had a deal on, I wouldn't normally use them but the price was too tempting plus just an extra tenner to have them fitted at the house while I could watch.

Im a fan of Assyms - ive had 3, 5 and 6. The 6 im not so sure about to be honest - turn-in seems a bit disconcerting, almost like they are over inflated. I wonder if it's something to do with them being EV "ready". 5's i really like.

FWIW the Conti 5P's that were factory fit to my Cupra went 20p shaped and were binned with 4-5mm still showing. I wonder whether the combination of FWD and an aggressive diff was too much for the construction?

Replaced them with Supersports which were an improvement in performance.

I agree that in warm, dry, conditions when you can actually get some heat into them they're fine. They’re also not bad when new in colder (single-digit) temperatures in wet or damp conditions.

Where they are appallingly bad is in cold, damp, conditions when they're part worn (say 4-5mm tread remaining). In those conditions when mounted on an E63 I swear ketchup grips a fried egg better.
I can allude to this. Changed to AS5's and the difference in grip was amazing.

@Steve1982. I've heard good things about the F1 Supersports if you are stuck.

This is exactly my issue. All 4 tyres are at 5mm and with the current weather conditions I find they are shocking.
I can allude to this. Changed to AS5's and the difference in grip was amazing.

@Steve1982. I've heard good things about the F1 Supersports if you are stuck.
AS5's were my fall back yet even finding the rears in the fitment is tricky, can find most if not all tyre options in the fronts yet want to make sure all 4 are the same.

Only concern I have with F1SS's are that they will be similar to the P Zero's until they've warmed up

I bought my assy 5's in that size from Kwik fit when they had a deal on, I wouldn't normally use them but the price was too tempting plus just an extra tenner to have them fitted at the house while I could watch.
How have you found them? What have you got them fitted to

I have a saloon w212 e63 and went with Goodyear Eagle f1 supersports at the rear. They're stiffer than the p zeroes. The ride doesn't feel quite as compliant as with the P zeroes but you still have air suspension on the back so it's still a great ride.

When I realised the fronts had worn out completely on the inside I immediately got mps4s on the front as couldn't find supersports for the front at the time. The mps4s are soft and nice though as you begin to turn you feel a tiny bit of vagueness as the outer layer is quite soft but overall I'm completely used to them and the wet weather confidence is great

The mixed fitment isn't a problem at all but I think supersports can be found for the front now.

I have a saloon w212 e63 and went with Goodyear Eagle f1 supersports at the rear. They're stiffer than the p zeroes. The ride doesn't feel quite as compliant as with the P zeroes but you still have air suspension on the back so it's still a great ride.

When I realised the fronts had worn out completely on the inside I immediately got mps4s on the front as couldn't find supersports for the front at the time. The mps4s are soft and nice though as you begin to turn you feel a tiny bit of vagueness as the outer layer is quite soft but overall I'm completely used to them and the wet weather confidence is great

The mixed fitment isn't a problem at all but I think supersports can be found for the front now.
Hi, how do you find the grip levels with the F1 Supersports? On the rear, it's particularly the rear with the P Zero's that tends to come lose, and how are the Supersports in the wet/damp/cold? I've assumed they would be the same as the P Zero until the are warm yet form the tyre reviews the supersport gets as good a write up in the dry and wet at PS4S

Hi, how do you find the grip levels with the F1 Supersports? On the rear, it's particularly the rear with the P Zero's that tends to come lose, and how are the Supersports in the wet/damp/cold? I've assumed they would be the same as the P Zero until the are warm yet form the tyre reviews the supersport gets as good a write up in the dry and wet at PS4S
the pzeroes I inherited were 6 years old and 16k miles on them but for sure the supersports grip far better in the dry and anytime the roads are wet I stick it in sport handling mode and they're certainly decent and predictable. The only downside is the slight loss of comfort and noise vs the p zeroes from memory.

The one huge limitation is I have no f1s on the front axle and front end grip is what matters to me for control 🙃

Heard that MPS4S will be coming back into stock early June, if this is delayed then F1 Supersports it will be 👍

In those conditions when mounted on an E63 I swear ketchup grips a fried egg better.
I’m concerned that you even know that. There is never - ever - a place for ketchup on a fried egg. If you must have ketchup on the same plate, then ensure that there is a suitable barrier between the ketchup and the egg, say a couple of nice sausages or a hash brown or two, or go belt and braces with a great big slab of gammon steak.

Pilot Sport 4 S are the impossibly good tyres that the Internet rumours claim them to be. That said, I have had a set which have suffered premature failure of the tread blocks (with 5.5 mm tread remaining). Currently awaiting inspection by Michelin.

I’m concerned that you even know that. There is never - ever - a place for ketchup on a fried egg. If you must have ketchup on the same plate, then ensure that there is a suitable barrier between the ketchup and the egg, say a couple of nice sausages or a hash brown or two, or go belt and braces with a great big slab of gammon steak.
So then Dazzler, what's the source of choice? you're not going to suggest you're one of these mayonnaise lovers

Pzeros don’t deserve the reputation they get. Their operating temperature range is relatively high and so they’re just not warm enough in cold wet conditions.

If not prepared to invest in summer and winter tyres then the aim of the game is to find the tyre with the lowest and widest operating temperature range.

The drawback is that they won’t perform as well when up to temp, but most people don’t drive that way in the real world, despite what they think.

The PS4S perform really well in cold and wet conditions, but I have a terrible feeling that Michelin will say that the premature failure is due to use in cold weather.

I haven’t fitted winter tyres on that car since I had the PS4S but it doesn’t get used in winter unless it’s a lovely day, so it won’t actually be the cause, even if they say it is.

So then Dazzler, what's the source of choice? you're not going to suggest you're one of these mayonnaise lovers
Mayo has a place and that place is in France or Belgium enjoying frites from a cardboard shell. Oh and on a chicken burger.

Eggs are wet and tasty. No need to add extra wetness or taste. Keep all sauces well away from eggs, with a barrier if necessary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom