'New' CL63 Comand questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paul64

Car
1995 W124 E300 Diesel estate (250k miles), 2008 CL63 AMG, 1969 Triumph 2.5PI, 1975 Triumph TR6
Morning all,
I just traded the old E-Class for a low-miles 2008 non-turbo CL63, low as in 23k miles with full MB history. 1 old gentleman owner and like new. Made up!
Great car and with full warranty from MB for the year, which is nice.

I have found however, what I think is a problem with the Comand system - I can load the changer with 6 CDs and they play however, the system doesn't recognise what is playing and the display remains Germanically inscrutable in showing only disc number and track number. This is the same, whether it's pre-recorded CD or a home-made version.
I also loaded up a PCMCIA card with some MP3 tracks and tried that with the adapter, both supplied by Startechnik for the purpose, and the Comand won't recognise there's that option available to select from.

I can have music streaming through a cable to the socket in the glovebox - I found a Bluetooth iPod connection on line for close to £800 - I thought a £20 cable might be a more pragmatic option....

Those points and, the fact that I don't seem to be able to load my telephone address book into the Comand are the only problems so far but what a great car, truly a masterpiece...

Any ideas on the above - does the Comand need a reboot or similar from the dealers?

Thanks

Paul

Welcome to the CL AMG CL W216 Club :cool: I cant help you with the Comand I'M afraid. The person you need to speak to is Mark at www.comand.co.uk

We must have PHOTO'S and the full spec.

Last edited:
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the pointer, will aim to give them a bell this week for a chat.
The car is in Chromite black (112) with 'Exclusive' brown leather (504A) with burr walnut wood facings (731). Distronic Plus, blindspot assist, 20" wheels, Keyless Go and a few other bits and pieces.
Alcantara headlining and pillars, really unmarked leather and carpets - quite a joy to be in and head out along the coast.

There's no record, as far as I can see in the service history, of the ABC fluid having been flushed and replaced so I think that's going to happen soon - is it part of the service schedule anyway I wonder? Seemingly, it was traded in by the original owner for a new CL65...

CL63-BLEU-9178-ARG.jpg CL63-BLEU-9178-AVD.jpg CL63-BLEU-9178-INT1.jpg CL63-BLEU-9178-INT2.jpg CL63-BLEU-9178-INT7.jpg CL63-BLEU-9178-INT8.jpg

Those photos have reduced me to emitting little whimpering noises of desire.

Absolutely gorgeous and so cool with it.

It is pretty amazing condition - I'm a bit of a stickler when it comes to cars and this is one of the best I've had. My old 500E was as well cared for as this - perhaps I should have kept hold of that for a while longer whilst the prices shot up - however, it's good to start with an excellent baseline. Lambswool mats are on the way along with a Classic Additions cover.

Paul

Welcome Paul. Nice to see another LHD CL63 and in beautiful condition too.

Sorry I cannot help with the Comand issue but I can use PCMCIA adapter.

The ABC fluid change is not on the service schedule.

Like it - very smart.

Had another look over the car this last week or so and polished up a couple of little edge of boot scratches and had a single new wheel replaced under warranty due to it being slightly oval...! I thought it was going to be some suspension wear when I felt some light vibration however, a quick look showed it to be the wheel. It almost balanced out but was enough to get it replaced. Serene cruising on A-roads at 100km/h reinstated...
The phone address book loaded onto the Comand eventually and now, I'm just looking for a proven in-line amp for the telephone line to the audio input in the glove box - preferably running from a cigarette lighter charger; there's plenty of chat about it on the internet forums in the USA and having spoken to Comand in the UK, they don't offer any solution for the signal differentiation between radio/cd/ SDcard and the aux input. Has anyone got something to work with success as it's seemingly such a common problem...??

Thanks

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom