• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

NHS Loading

m80

MB Enthusiast
Car
Viano ex long, 651 2014. S211 646 2009 (till the Gov't drones blow 'em off the road)
SO on Thursday I visit my GP. The appointment was 2 weeks after my call, so they're busy.
The consultation of perhaps 10 minutes results in blood tests, a sample of ass exhaust, and the Dr sends a prescription direct to the Pharmacy to be collected, that's fair enough.

The appointment was at a health centre I haven't attended before, and I then made my way to the regular surgery for the blood test forms, and to make an appointment for that for today.

So I'm over 60 and I've learnt that prescriptions are free. But 1st I need fill out a form, have that signed by a GP, then, I assume, send it off. Seems a bit unnecessary as perhaps the GP could just tick a box on any prescription to say I, or any such patient, is exempt, since a GP is to authorise this.

So blood test done, as I'm to drop off t'other sample at the surgery, not where the blood tests were taken (that's a different place, did you realise Buxton has so many of these places?) Anyway I call the surgery and ask for the form, that is signed by a GP. I should call to collect that.
"Will it be signed by a GP."
"No, you have to fill it in."
"But you know who I am, can't it be pre printed and signed?"
" No, you have to sign it."
"I could sign it when I get there."
"No, ......."

Not much point in continuing the conversation really, the brick wall has been built.

I view a GP could authorise a prescription being free as he writes the thing, on a PC. Job done.

Now I shall attend the surgery to collect the form.
I shall complete the information required that they already have, sign, and return it.
When a GP has time he shall check, and approve the document.
I assume I shall then return to collect, so that I may send it off somewhere for an exemption certificate to be returned to me, valid for 5 years.

Am I just being a Victor Meldrew here?

I’m now well over 60 but don’t recall having to get any form from my GP in order to get free prescriptions. IIRC I went into Boots to collect my first prescription without knowing anything about it being free. As I got my wallet out the pharmacist said, “You’re over 60 so you don’t have to pay.” Simple as!

I’m now well over 60 but don’t recall having to get any form from my GP in order to get free prescriptions. IIRC I went into Boots to collect my first prescription without knowing anything about it being free. As I got my wallet out the pharmacist said, “You’re over 60 so you don’t have to pay.” Simple as!
Yer mean I don't need to show my passport, utility bill, spotty ass and exemption certificate to some school leaver behind the counter?
I can't believe that as it would be common sense and straight forward.

I can't remember filling in any forms, just got to the pharmacy and told them I was over 60, you date of birth is on the prescription.

Mrs Me collected the last one in October, me over 60 even then, and paid.

Mrs Me collected the last one in October, me over 60 even then, and paid.
Apparently there's "a valid medical exemption certificate (MedEx)" that can get you free NHS prescriptions. Possibly this is what all the fuss was about. But it clearly says on the NHS website that it's free for old buggers like us, without the need for any certification.

I had another trip in a neenaw to A&E on Thursday evening. Digging out groundwork for the driveway, I started having chest pain, stiffness up my neck, shortness of breath, and feeling sick.

Several blood tests and ECGs later, nope, it wasn't a heart attack, but they're suggesting an assessment for stable angina, plus speaking to GP about blood pressure, as it was through the roof.

Next day, I had an appointment with one of my consultants and she informs me, 'You've been to A&E 85 times!'😳

So, it looks like I'm heading towards a gold certificate and ward dedication in a few more years.

Oh, as I'm on over 12 medications, I pay monthly for an annual prepayment certificate.

Same here. No forms to fill. Just told the lady at Boots I was over 60.

Reactions: JHS
Thanks again.
Mrs Me collected, aside from name and address no questions, and no attempt to charge.

You guys have saved much wasted effort.
Shame that couldn't have been explained on the phone this morning.

So, bloods taken at 9:35, at 16:20 a text from the GP explaining the results are normal, and to make a follow up appointment to discuss.
That's impressive.
Best to wait till he sees what me poo looks like though imho.

I had another trip in a neenaw to A&E on Thursday evening. Digging out groundwork for the driveway, I started having chest pain, stiffness up my neck, shortness of breath, and feeling sick.

Several blood tests and ECGs later, nope, it wasn't a heart attack, but they're suggesting an assessment for stable angina, plus speaking to GP about blood pressure, as it was through the roof.

Next day, I had an appointment with one of my consultants and she informs me, 'You've been to A&E 85 times!'😳

So, it looks like I'm heading towards a gold certificate and ward dedication in a few more years.

Oh, as I'm on over 12 medications, I pay monthly for an annual prepayment certificate.
Good to hear that you’re still alive. Do you have a leather case for your NHS season ticket?

If you’re over 60 prescriptions are free - no paperwork needed. 👌

Yep, free over 60: no forms. And that includes mild pain meds like ibuprofen which aren’t Gp prescribed You just go in to the Pharmacy and ask for them.

Under 60? Pay £100 a year to cover every prescription throughout the year. Don’t pay for individual prescriptions unless you’re certain it will be less each year.

The NHS gives out one billion prescriptions a year, of which 90% are free, two thirds because patients are over 60.

Doctors will over- and repeat prescribe because it’s the quickest way of getting you out of their face. It’s that fast track to medication to offset the side effects of the stuff that you no longer need but that no-one’s bothered ending.

Live long and prosper.

Yep, free over 60: no forms. And that includes mild pain meds like ibuprofen which aren’t Gp prescribed You just go in to the Pharmacy and ask for them.
I didn’t know about over-the-counter medicines being free for a wide range of people. I have no idea of the figures, but my understanding is that the NHS get charged several times the retail price for such items. Is it any wonder there’s no money left to pay doctors and nurses!

I didn’t know about over-the-counter medicines being free for a wide range of people. I have no idea of the figures, but my understanding is that the NHS get charged several times the retail price for such items. Is it any wonder there’s no money left to pay doctors and nurses!
Dodgy Guardian rhetoric. There are certainly oddities, but the "overcharging" is usually around NHS being paying prices including delivery to NHS stores. It's £17 billion for those one billion prescribed items. Call it 10% of NHS budget. You'll pay much higher prices for meds in the Germany or France.

NHS doesn't have enough money at £170 billion a year because there is no limit to "want" for healthcare. Need is not want.

Life expectancy has clicked up from 65 to 75 to 85, but now the demand is for 95 or 105...

A nonagenarian in state care for a year? That'll be about £100k pa? Shame she doesn't know who anyone is, or even where she is.

No money to pay doctors and nurses? They already take half the annual budget.

Would it help if Doctors started working a five day week again, instead of the current four or three days a week? (They swerve full time partly because they don't want to lose half the dosh to higher rate tax and NI)

I'm on a treatment where the cost of the medication is quoted as £5,000 per month at retail, although they say the NHS has a deal. I looked on the internet, and the price for the same quantity of the same medication in the USA is $20,000.

I'm on a treatment where the cost of the medication is quoted as £5,000 per month at retail, although they say the NHS has a deal. I looked on the internet, and the price for the same quantity of the same medication in the USA is $20,000.
Yep, common for the USA. Drugs are much more expensive over there because the drug companies try to recover their R&D in the States before selling at marginal cost in the Rest of the World.

On the other hand, headline numbers aren't reliable in the States because the hospitals invoice a big number to the insurers, and then pay a bulk discount to the insurer separately to encourage the insurer to recommend their hospital. (Devious monkeys)

To be fair, it does cost a lot of money to keep a yacht in a marina for a year these days.

Would it help if Doctors started working a five day week again, instead of the current four or three days a week? (They swerve full time partly because they don't want to lose half the dosh to higher rate tax and NI)
In my Doctors surgery not one of the Doctors is a full time practitioner, they all only work two or three days a week.
Oh, and here in Wales we don't pay for prescriptions

..Oh, and here in Wales we don't pay for prescriptions

You're having the life of Riley down there... so what's with all this nonsense talk about Welsh independence then? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom