• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Oil cooler

Yeahdaddyo

Car
C55 amg
Good evening everybody,
I currently own a c55 and I'm looking for an oil cooler for said vehicle. I've tried mercedes parts department and they don't have it. No joy on ebay and local scrap yards. I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction to acquire one.

There is a kit with three gaskets to replace leaking oil cooler, no need to buy complete unit unless it's broken?

Attachments

• W202 C43 AMG - 3x oil cooler gaskets.jpg
    W202 C43 AMG - 3x oil cooler gaskets.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 3
There is a kit with three gaskets to replace leaking oil cooler, no need to buy complete unit unless it's broken?
I believe its faulty because there is oil in the coolant. I don't think it is the head gasket as the car has no loss of power and no coolant in the oil.

Have you taken it off and checked the rubber seals shown in post #2 ?

Have you tried Dronsfield for a used unit ?

I think it would be an unusual failure (although not impossible) I don't think I have heard much of this unit failing internally despite being fitted to countless MB engines . My own C55 has 153+K miles on it.

Have you pressure tested it .?

You were looking for engine oil cooler not the transmission oil cooler as there are two of them on your car.
I believe there are O-rings in tranny oil cooler but not 100% sure?
The 3 seals in post #2 is for engine oil cooler.

I believe its faulty because there is oil in the coolant. I don't think it is the head gasket as the car has no loss of power and no coolant in the oil.
Head gaskets can fail without affecting power output. Only if they fail at the fire ring will power be lost. Lack of coolant in the oil depends on pressure differential between the two fluids and would be the same at the head gasket as in the oil cooler.

You were looking for engine oil cooler not the transmission oil cooler as there are two of them on your car.
I believe there are O-rings in tranny oil cooler but not 100% sure?
The 3 seals in post #2 is for engine oil cooler.
Gearbox oil is fine, I had been losing oil from the engine.

Head gaskets can fail without affecting power output. Only if they fail at the fire ring will power be lost. Lack of coolant in the oil depends on pressure differential between the two fluids and would be the same at the head gasket as in the oil cooler.
Would a compression test indicate head gasket failure.

Would a compression test indicate head gasket failure.
Only if the failure is at the fire ring. If the fire rings are intact sealing compression but the gasket has failed between water and oil galleries a compression test won't reveal that.

A compression test of the coolant system will though.

Doh....thats what I meant to say!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom