OM602 oil leak from filter housing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

om602fan

Car
Mercedes W124
Hi All! I have a problem with my W124 with OM602 engine. It takes about 8 seconds from the start to build up the oil pressure. Once the oil pressure is there the engine runs fine and keeps the pressure without any problems. I've suspected a non return valve in the filter housing was the problem. I've replaced the valve for new one ( I was lucky to find NOS, they are not available from the dealer anymore) and also new spring has been put. Unfortunately the problem is still there. No improvement. I don't know where to look now. Apparently there is another valve in the block which hold the pressure in the lubrication system. Can anyone help with this matter. Thanks a lot. Link with the video showing the problem below:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The only other i know of is in the cylinder head .But you wont get to it without removing the cylinder head . This is petrol engine You should have said diesel, it would make it better for every one to search . Try looking in this manual Model 124 Maintenance Manual Index I remember one guy changed his oil and filter and he had the same problem ...Mann, or Mercedes only, for filters ..

Last edited:
I thought it is obvious that OM602 is a diesel engine. Anyway thanks for your response.

I thought it is obvious that OM602 is a diesel engine. Anyway thanks for your response.

Not that obvious, I've owned mercs for over 15 years and never heard of an om602 . Only those who know will know I guess . 😄

OneforThe Road , I know the models, but not engine types . So like you say its best to put the model in the forum post .

OneforThe Road , I know the models, but not engine types . So like you say its best to put the model in the forum post .
Not to worry pal. I know your just trying to help. :)

Oil pressure sensor at fault possibly? That is assuming the issue is the oil pressure guages reluctance to move off 0 bar on start up and not any nasty engine noises. My 300,000+ mile OM602 engined w201 190d's guage pins to 3 bar instantly on start up and only actually registers an accurate pressure reading after it reaches operating temperature. I also only use MANN oil filters.

Used Mann oil filters from day one, in my M103 W124 260E .But last time i used a genuine Mercedes oil filter .They are a lot smaller in size ] hight ] than Mann and Bosch .

Used Mann oil filters from day one, in my M103 W124 260E .But last time i used a genuine Mercedes oil filter .They are a lot smaller in size ] hight ] than Mann and Bosch .
On old Mercedes diesels like the OM602 the oil filter i just an insert not a seperate metal cannister so different makes are all the same dimension wise. Would not dream of using a cheapo filter (Framm/ Crossland?) in there though for the sake of saving £10 or so.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom