• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

OM642 Failed MOT smoke test how much to do first ?

tjamesbo

Car
CLK430 ,Vito V6 sport ,Jaguar 2.5 X type ,W124's 1993 220TE , 1994 320TE ,Mastercraft X5
Smoke Test Failure W639 3.0 V6 OM642 (220K mls ) Failed on Smoke test = ""emissions not tested " (excessive smoke ) so the current Plan
1 add some injector cleaner Fuchs is good but cant get it, same for forte ( few days delivery ) so wait or AN other STP / Wynns
2 Top Up with premium Fuel ( tanks just over half full at moment )
3 Take it on an italian tune up say a 20 minute thrashing holding a lower gear and giving it pedal to the floor 1
Try Cataclean or DPF cleaner now at the same time or later ??? will it mix ok with injector cleaner ? Both or just one ? if so which one
Maybe take it for a retest after that and get a reading then Pray
if it fails that then maybe Star test and here we go ££££££
😱

of some concern is that I have the resistor swirl flap mod as mine stuck and therfore am worried that this might be an issue as previously passed all previous MOT's but its been driving fine and not aware of excessive smoke in my rear view mirror
The story begins ...................
Boyd

A proper diagnosis with someone competent with Star now will be the quickest and cheapest option rather than throwing lots of expensive and dubious chemicals into the tank.

Italian tune up should do the job. Then do it again immediately before the test. I used to have a very smokey X Trail but it never failed on emmissions - except once, when I dropped it off the day before and the tester had a cold car. After the fail one of the fitters took it out for a tune up before a retest which it passed.

Lots of things could be responsible like a poorly thermostat , but when I had one 2 Stroke oil halved that figure and new thermostat further again .

Well I would get any cleaner you can get any make will do,run you tank down to say a third and then find a quiet place to put in the whole bottle of cleaner in and then drive and rev the car and watch the black smoke come out of it when it eventually clears go and fill up with fuel,this will clear any bunged up system,but if you have something wrong with the pump then nothing is going to get it past the MOT.

From here there were a few recommendations but 2-EHN seemed to be he winner to me.

Be sure it's up to temperature.
Air Filter mucky.
Intake route compromised.
EGR blocked.
Injectors unhealthy.
There are more.

What is a bug is that we can check lights, tyres..... I've not found 'yet' how to pre inspect the emissions. And with the "sorry that's you off the road" created legislation that would be more than useful.

Egr blocked reduces smoke it's egr partially or fully stuck open is the smokey joe .When I start it from cold
When I start it from Cold and rev it it looks clean enough to me certainly not smokey . I then warmed it up and took it for a run with the wife following in her car I booted it, used kickdown , held onto gears, and mashed the pedal to the metal, she says she saw no smoke during any of that, so it cant be far out. I'm going to run some
Cataclean through it its cheap enough then give it a long hard hot run then get it in for a retest hopefully straight after the run If it doesnt pass then its star diagnostic time and out with the wallet wide open

What colour and smell was the smoke?
Is it possible this was coolant within the inlet tract clearing itself?
Is it possible you're following the wrong train of thought by chasing fuel/ling issues?

If you can't see any I'd do basics as above, injector cleaner, Italian tune and chance a different MOT place

Well I would get any cleaner you can get any make will do,run you tank down to say a third and then find a quiet place to put in the whole bottle of cleaner in and then drive and rev the car and watch the black smoke come out of it

That's surely not going to do the DPF much good??

Reactions: m80

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom